Sign in with
Your question

Tom's Hardware: What else do you want to see in this application?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 27, 2012 11:23:22 PM

What else do you want to see in this application?

Hi all,

I am coding up a little application to help people 'hit the ground running' with a fresh, or not so fresh, Windows installation.

This is a 'design by community' application.
- I will try to incorporate any feedback within 20 minutes, if not then within 48 hours.
- So far, so good :sol: 

I'm always looking for ideas to improve it.

eg: Links to drivers for Intel, AMD, nVidia, AMD/ATI, and various other chipset manufacturers, etc.
- Including audio.
- I haven't done this yet, as there are so many & I don't know what people are using these days!. (I need your help).

The application is currently only a few KB in size, and will most likely always be under half a megabyte.

- ZIP of EXE: http://scottdbowen.id.au/Cs/SDB-QWLA.zip (< 32KB, release)
- Current version download (link never changes): http://scottdbowen.id.au/Cs/SDB-QWLA_current_installer.zip (< 256KB, .NET ClickOnce installer, Can fetch .NET Framework if required)

Looking forward to peoples feedback, suggestions & ideas over the next few hours/days/weeks.

Regards,
Scott D. Bowen
November 28, 2012 10:45:50 AM

v1.75 - Made some updates to Main Menu and added Get Computer Diagnostics section.

Current version download (link never changes): http://scottdbowen.id.au/Cs/SDB-QWLA_current_installer.zip

Added a Get Computer Diagnostics section with downloads to MemTest86+, SiSoftware SANDRA, Western Digital Data Lifeguard utilities and Seagate SeaTools, etc.

a b $ Windows 7
November 28, 2012 11:10:48 AM

its a good idea

but no offence meant--i wont be trying an executable file from an unknown source

and theres already ninite free version which can do a lot more programs

http://ninite.com/
Related resources
November 28, 2012 11:26:57 AM

Design Goal: I do not want to limit it to download links for other applications.
- I want to include ways to get to other resources (eg: manuals) more easily so that 'new' PC Hardware enthusiasts can hit the ground running.
- I also want to include links to common, and not so common, driver downloads for hardware. (Something Ninite will never do).
- Ideally ones that the Tom's Hardware Community members would use to troubleshoot, diagnose & repair a (Windows) PC.

I'm aiming for a different selection of applications to ninite.com

EDIT:
- I do not want to just link to applications to automate their (bulk) installation, ala: Ninite.
- Messaging, Media, Imaging, File Sharing aren't exactly applications I would link to.
- Documents I would handle differently.
- Security in ninite.com is a little lacking...
- Developer Tools in ninite.com is *very* lacking, but still useful.
- It completely lacks other 'easy downloads' that it may benefit from. (Such as the Microsoft Downloads that Windows Update lacks. eg: Older DirectX for Windows 7, etc.).

I'm also happy to release the source code.

- SDB
a b $ Windows 7
November 28, 2012 11:38:02 AM

i would suggest cpuz,a temperature monitoring software like realtemp etc,at least one web browser

30 day trial version of aida 64--great tool one of the best i have tried

a free antivirus
November 28, 2012 12:01:22 PM

Done:

I've added Mozilla Firefox and VIPRE AntiVirus to the Main Menu

Added CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Real Temp, AIDA64 to Diagnostics (can move if suggested, AIDA64 looks like more than Diagnostics).

Download:
- ZIP'd EXE only (smaller)
- .NET Installer (adds to Start Menu, can be Uninstalled from Control Panel)

Update:
- In response to:
Quote:
but no offence meant--i wont be trying an executable file from an unknown source

- Being a C# .NET app and under 64KB I would be able to port it to a web-app fairly easily down the track (when it's actually useful). :sol: 

a b $ Windows 7
November 28, 2012 5:16:15 PM

set up a vm to give it a try

works fine--no virus detected

only improvement i could see would be if you could select multiple software and have them automatically downloaded

no idea how difficult that would be as have no programming skills whatsoever

but so far it looks like it could be a usefull piece of software

may also suggest 7zip and vlc player

December 4, 2012 6:44:32 AM

Hey, thanks.
Running it from a VM is going to a lot of trouble just to test it.

As I get better in C# I will add your suggestions.

I agree that 7-zip, WinRAR, VLC, etc. should be within easy reach.
- Even if it starts overlapping with 'some of' the functionality of Ninite.

!