Pentium 3 Bus Speeds

richid

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
I know this is an outdated question, but I am currently building a box strictly to watch movies on my tv. I'm looking to get a Pentium 3, Slot 1 type processor. The motherboard I'm using only supports 100mhz FSB speed. I was wondering if I would be able to drop in a P3 that uses the 133mhz FSB without any problems.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would run at 3/4 the original speed. What board do you have?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

richid

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Not really sure since I bought it off Ebay for real cheap. Its definitely an Intel 440BX based board and I believe it was from an OEM box

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check your frequency multiplier on that board. If it's only 6.5 the fastest CPU you can use would be a 650mhz. I had an old B6X-E like that. If it's an OEM DELL, good luck. you can still find some 800/100 and even some 1000/100 slot 1 CPU's but they are going to cost you. I currently have a P3V4X and a 667/133 CPU listed on E-bay that will probably fetch more than 100 bucks. You can buy a new Duron and a cheap ECS board for less than that. See if you can find any brand name on the board.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll want to find more info on your board. Many BX boards could support 133MHz FSB, some went much higher. The BX chipset itself is known to be stable at or beyond 150MHz. Also, if your board supports Coppermine CPU voltages, it also supports Tualatin voltages, which would allow you to use the cheap Upradeware Slot-T adapter for those processors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: The BX chipset itself is known to be stable at or beyond 150MHz

Lets not forget about the ever important agp pci lock. Great as the bx boards were (best chipset boards ever made) no locks on the agp and this could be an issue when over clocking just like on the nforce3-150..

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but unlike the nForce3 150 it has a lower PCI multiplier, it's AGP that could be problematic. But AGP cards back then could tollerate the extra bus speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
it occured to me that you might be trying to prove a point on the nForce3 150, but remember, this isn't 1999, even if you do party like it. PCI and AGP locks are an expected feature now, they didn't even exist back then.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I don't really care to look it up but it was certinaly an issue when overclocking and NO all cards could certainly no tolerate it... it was a gamble. I know my current 9700pro card works fine with no agp lock and highly overclock but the potential is there and real.

But I'd hate to be seen as fear mongering.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Your the one telling him to overclock a bx board...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, not all cards, just the good ones. Radeons and GeForce2's could go 100MHz AGP clock, TNT2's usually went 89MHz AGP clock but not always, same for Rage 128's. VooDoo cards were mainly PCI and BX had a 1/4 divider available.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If he for some reason has a 133FSB chip at his disposal, he'd definately want to try overclocking the board rather than underclocking the CPU.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Funny how generous you can be when defending intel.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: this isn't 1999, even if you do party like it.

I did not know you had a sense of humor. Now that was funny, and I suppose I do party like it's 1999:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
lol, you really are a looser, aren't you? OK, I'll admit the thing doesn't include any SATA interface, UDMA 133 support, firewire, 6 channel audio, or AGP8x either. Now you can say I'm favoring Intel because I don't hold a 5 year old chipset to the same standard as a new one. And you can say that because you're a looser.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Oh crash the hostility, is that how you win an argument when you know you screwed up. PLEASE save your childish insults for someone who will actually be offended.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy, the types of arguements you put out are only tollerated in court settings when made by prosecuting attourneys. In any formal setting for debate, such comments would be considered out of context. You can't compare apples to oranges. Modern chipsets support AGP/PCI locks, the BX didn't not because it's junk, but because it's old.

Your arguement would have a perfectly preserved Ferrari Daytona Spyder labled as junk because it has no EFI, even EFI wasn't available back then.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yet you recommended it for overclocking without hesitation. but when dealing with a64 it's a huge issue on the nforce150 even if an idividual never said they wanted to overclock. do you see the point. just trying to open your eyes crash.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you're missing the fact that he already OWNS the board and he's trying to use a certain CPU on it. This isn't a purchase recommendation.

Yet I don't think you actually missed that, rather you're trying to deceive everyone else by throwing out red herrings.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Sorry crash the agp lock is a red herring for the most part unless heavily overclocking, only then it can be an issue. You started it with your mountains out of mole hill excuses to avoid a64 because of red herring motherboards.

I'm not trying to deceive anyone I just want an issue to be exposed for what it truly is a red herring, garbage an excuse. BTW what you said

"You'll want to find more info on your board. Many BX boards could support 133MHz FSB, some went much higher. The BX chipset itself is known to be stable at or beyond 150MHz."

is fine cause he owns it why not try. But it's pretty hypocritical when you use that same argument on an nforce150 that is ( NOT ) being overclocked. You always say a bx board was an enthusiast board but when nforce150 has a similar red herring flaw its junk. Now that's hypocritical.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I wouldn't say it's hypocritical at all.

Overclocking features are important to me when buying a new board, and assembling your own rig for the first time is often the first step down a road that ends up with at least <i>some</i> interest in overclocking.

The first time I built my own, I was happy with it, but eventually I experimented with the whole overclocking thing and was held back by the PCI/AGP speeds.

<i>If</i> a solution with a PCI/AGP lock had been available when I first purchased the bits, I wouldn't have known or cared what it was. But if I'd then found when overclocking that such a solution <i>had</i> been available when I'd bought the stuff, I would have been dissapointed.

This guy doesn't want to buy a new board, and is just wondering what his present board is actually capable of.

The BX chipset is a legendary overclocker - Another forumite around here, PIII_Man I think, had a Tualatin Celeron running at over 1.6Ghz on a BX chipset board, IIRC.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Not answering your real question, but a suggestion nevertheless. I got a Philips DVD737 DVD player. It plays about any Divx, Xvid I throw at it, (as well as MP3's and DVD's of course) and image quality is far better than the TV out of my computer. it has a remote, supports .srt or .sub subtitleing and costs like $150. It also looks a lot better with the rest of my home cinema, its noiseless, doesnt require a long boot up process, nor a wireless mouse with insufficient range, etc.

The only downsides are it doesnt have a harddisk or ethernet, so you have to burn your avi's on a DVD, but since you can cramp 4-8 movies on a single DVD, its not that big an issue. Another one is that subtitles are ugly: small, yellow non antialiased font. I'm hoping a new firmware upgrade will improve this.

If its only for playing movies, I'd really consider a dedicated AVI player.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, now you're just lying. I told people to wait for better A64 boards, and look at the nForce3 250 as an "excuse" for why I said that.

If the nForce3 150 was AGP2x, nobody would take it seriously. But the BX was AGP2x. Would I expect the nForce3 150 to be AGP8x? Of course. Would I call it junk if it was AGP2x? Of course. But would I call the BX junk for being AGP2x? Of course NOT. Why? You're still comparing apples to oranges, the BX came out when AGP2x was the fastest thing out there.

The same goes for such things as your PCI/AGP lock. We've come to expect this feature on new chipsets. Why? It's been around on various chipsets for a couple YEARS now. Am I showing BIAS against AMD by demanding features which have become standard on their chipsets? Of course not. Am I showing BIAS toward Intel for not demanding those same features on a 6 year old chipset? Of course not.

Would I be making excuses for Intel if the 865/875 chipsets didn't have those features? Of course NOT. Do you make excuses "for AMD" when A64 chipsets don't have that feature? Of course YOU DO! Why? Because you're the one with BIAS. First of all, it's not AMD's fault that VIA and nVidia released improperly developed parts, VIA does that quite frequently and nVidia was simply lagging. nVidia caught up with the nForce3 250, yet your personal bias has me the villain for telling people to wait for it.

richid

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Hey,

Good call with checkin the BIOS for speeds, don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. Unfortunately, the BIOS on the mobo has no settings for multiplier, bus speed, etc. So it looks like overclocking is out of the question. So it looks like I'll have to look for a Slot 1P3 with 100FSB. Thanks for the feedback.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Hehe, now you're just lying. I told people to wait for better A64 boards, and look at the nForce3 250 as an "excuse" for why I said that.

I might make the odd mistake but I don't lie. you did say all motherboard platforms for the a64 were junk. do you remember saying that?