My computer won't turn off, it only restarts

Felipe

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

I'm having a really big problem, my computer wasn't turning off, it logged
off from windows and everything, but when it looks that the computer has
shutted down, it restarts. I had to kept press the power buttom so the
computer go off. I did that for about a week, and after that my hard drive
crashed and I lost all my information. I bought a new hard drive. I installed
windows xp sp2 in spanish and the computer won't turn off again, I cleared my
hard drive again and installed windows xp sp2 in english and it won't turn
off. I formatted my new hard drive again an installed windows xp sp1 in
english and at last it turn off. After that I only installed my mainboard
drivers. Today I upgraded my windows to sp2 and again, my computer won't turn
off. It kept restarting, I don't want to spoiled my new hard drive, please
anybody help me!!! I´m going crazy, I don't know what to do!!!!

"Felipe" <Felipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a really big problem, my computer wasn't turning off, it logged
> off from windows and everything, but when it looks that the computer has
> shutted down, it restarts. I had to kept press the power buttom so the
> computer go off. I did that for about a week, and after that my hard drive
> crashed and I lost all my information. I bought a new hard drive. I
> installed
> windows xp sp2 in spanish and the computer won't turn off again, I cleared
> my
> hard drive again and installed windows xp sp2 in english and it won't turn
> off. I formatted my new hard drive again an installed windows xp sp1 in
> english and at last it turn off. After that I only installed my mainboard
> drivers. Today I upgraded my windows to sp2 and again, my computer won't
> turn
> off. It kept restarting, I don't want to spoiled my new hard drive, please
> anybody help me!!! I´m going crazy, I don't know what to do!!!!

It's an APM or ACPI (advanced power management) issue. Update your
motherboard BIOS and reinstall windows.

Felipe

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

I already upgraded my BIOS after the first windows installation, I have an
INTEL D865PERL motherboard, with the best configuration available. I checked
in my BIOS and neither my USB or LAN are set to wake up my computer. I after
a power failure it set to stay off. I don't know what to do, I'm not sure but
could it be that my power supply is no good, or worst, that my motherboard is
the one thats failing.... I'm so desperate... HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Bobby

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

>I already upgraded my BIOS after the first windows installation, I have an
> INTEL D865PERL motherboard, with the best configuration available. I
> checked
> in my BIOS and neither my USB or LAN are set to wake up my computer. I
> after
> a power failure it set to stay off. I don't know what to do, I'm not sure
> but
> could it be that my power supply is no good, or worst, that my motherboard
> is
> the one thats failing.... I'm so desperate... HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I doubt it's the board and would certainly swop out the power supply
as a first check. I had the same problem the other day installing XP on
an older machine but a BIOS upgrade sorted it out. Make sure you
indeed have the latest BIOS version.

There's a truck-load of information on the page 'bobby' mentioned in
his reply. Work through that so long and good luck.

i had the exact same problem...it ended up being my wireless network card (airlink101) make sure you don't have a network card creating the issue....dont just diSable it...REMOVE IT!

i had the same problem about one year ago and i solved it but this issue showed up to my pc 2 days ago ,,, i actually didn't remembered the way off solving this issue but today during lunch i just remembered everything and belive me it was so easy to solve it . i went to to device manager and guess what my modem card had a problem (i caused this during my last video card switch ) i felt lazy in these moments and i didn't fix my modem just disabled it... so this is your problem has you see every device works through the m.board it takes the electric power by the main source through the board so since my modem was crashed my board was able to start him up but not to shut it down .... that's the reason why the pc keeps restarting because it cant switch all his parts off in these case just disable these devices who cause the problem (careful on some of them because you may need to format your pc again to fix this )

wan24

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

dstemper

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I recently had a hard drive failure on an ATX system which was hand built years ago. I had new computer shop rebuild older Win XP ATX computer with new SATA HDD, but using my older IDE DVD drives, and nVidea DVI graphics card. Problem, after receiving PC back, is that after shutting XP down via soft shut down, my PC rebooted consistantly. I had to physically turn the PSU switch off, to manually power-off my PC.
I had just done significant research online to find out there are many potential fixes for such an event. This is the most famous one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311806

I tried this one and many others without results! The one that worked for me, after researching many alternative solutions, is one which I found by process of elimination! It was with my BIOS. Now my MB is MSI G41M4-F, but many BIOS's are similiar, go to the Power Management section, click on Wake Up Event, then select the following:

Wake Up Event by: BIOS
Resume From S3 by USB device: Disabled
Resume From S3 by PS/2 Keyboard: Disabled
Resume From S3 by PS/2 Mouse: Disabled
Resume by PCI device (PME#): Disabled
Resume by PCI-E device: Disabled
Resume by RTC Alarm: Disabled

My previous above settings for Resume by PCI device (PME#) and Resume by PCI-E device were set for enabled, after I disabled these 2 BIOS settings, my WIN XP system with newly added SATA HDD and older DVD drives, never rebooted after shutting down via normal software shut-down!

Hope this helps others out there, looking for the same solution!! :)

Dennis