I log on and xp logs me off

Hi,

last night i tried to reboot my pc but it hang on shutting down windows....
being a little impatient i hit the reset button, xp booted up again i clicked
on the log on box but once logged on xp logs me off!!! This also happens in
safe mode and it also happens to the administrator account in safe mode.

What now? Reinstall (just did that one week ago!) haven't treid a repair
install yet.

regards,

roy
6 answers Last reply
More about logs

    Why did you reinstall a week ago and how did you do it?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > last night i tried to reboot my pc but it hang on shutting down
    windows....
    > being a little impatient i hit the reset button, xp booted up again i
    clicked
    > on the log on box but once logged on xp logs me off!!! This also happens
    in
    > safe mode and it also happens to the administrator account in safe mode.
    >
    > What now? Reinstall (just did that one week ago!) haven't treid a repair
    > install yet.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > roy

    How far does the logon process go? Can you see your desktop?

    There are a couple of viruses that cause your machine to reboot or shutdown.
    Do you see any message displayed before machine "logs off" ?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > last night i tried to reboot my pc but it hang on shutting down
    > windows....
    > > being a little impatient i hit the reset button, xp booted up again i
    > clicked
    > > on the log on box but once logged on xp logs me off!!! This also happens
    > in
    > > safe mode and it also happens to the administrator account in safe mode.
    > >
    > > What now? Reinstall (just did that one week ago!) haven't treid a repair
    > > install yet.
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > roy
    >
    > How far does the logon process go? Can you see your desktop?

    I reinstalled the pc because i have replaced the motherboard and cpu, basicly
    it's a new pc. I am not getting past windows welcome. I don't think it's a
    virus, my av software is up to date. I was installing some software before
    the reboot but it did not require a restart. I really do not want to
    reinstall, to set it up just the way i like it will take me hours.

    thanks for your help

    "TimH" wrote:

    > There are a couple of viruses that cause your machine to reboot or shutdown.
    > Do you see any message displayed before machine "logs off" ?
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > last night i tried to reboot my pc but it hang on shutting down
    > > windows....
    > > > being a little impatient i hit the reset button, xp booted up again i
    > > clicked
    > > > on the log on box but once logged on xp logs me off!!! This also happens
    > > in
    > > > safe mode and it also happens to the administrator account in safe mode.
    > > >
    > > > What now? Reinstall (just did that one week ago!) haven't treid a repair
    > > > install yet.
    > > >
    > > > regards,
    > > >
    > > > roy
    > >
    > > How far does the logon process go? Can you see your desktop?

    Before otherwise going online or using the internet for anything else, did
    you (1) enable the Windows Firewall or a third-party one, (2) install all
    available Windows Updates & reboot, if directed to do so, and (3) install
    the AV and immediately update it?

    If not, you've prolly been hijacked.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --

    Roy wrote:
    > I reinstalled the pc because i have replaced the motherboard and cpu,
    > basicly it's a new pc. I am not getting past windows welcome. I don't
    > think
    > it's a virus, my av software is up to date. I was installing some software
    > before the reboot but it did not require a restart. I really do not want
    > reinstall, to set it up just the way i like it will take me hours.
    >
    > thanks for your help
    >
    > "TimH" wrote:
    >
    >> There are a couple of viruses that cause your machine to reboot or
    >> shutdown. Do you see any message displayed before machine "logs off" ?
    >>

    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> How far does the logon process go? Can you see your desktop?

    If you can find the time to reply to my first response then I may
    be able to save you the time to re-install WinXP.

    > I reinstalled the pc because i have replaced the motherboard and cpu,
    basicly
    > it's a new pc. I am not getting past windows welcome. I don't think it's a
    > virus, my av software is up to date. I was installing some software before
    > the reboot but it did not require a restart. I really do not want to
    > reinstall, to set it up just the way i like it will take me hours.
    >
    > thanks for your help
    >
    > "TimH" wrote:
    >
    > > There are a couple of viruses that cause your machine to reboot or
    shutdown.
    > > Do you see any message displayed before machine "logs off" ?
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > > windows....
    > > > clicked
    > > > in

    > > > How far does the logon process go? Can you see your desktop?

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP