I have recently had to re-format my hard drive and have now got
problems.

My computer was supplied by Time who have now gone feet-up and now give
no support whatsoever.
I was supplied an emergency system CD-ROM which does not work!

Now I have had to put in a clean boot of Windows XP Pro from a disk I
had to buy, but it appears that it has not put in the Multimedia Audio
Controller (in device manager I get the yellow "?" and on checking for
what drivers are used it is showing no drivers installed.

Can someone point me towards a suitable (generic) driver that will out
the Controller in to my system.
--

Little John from Sherwood Forest!

Little John from Sherwood wrote:

> Now I have had to put in a clean boot of Windows XP Pro from a disk I
> had to buy, but it appears that it has not put in the Multimedia Audio
> Controller (in device manager I get the yellow "?" and on checking for
> what drivers are used it is showing no drivers installed.
>
> Can someone point me towards a suitable (generic) driver that will out
> the Controller in to my system.

There are few utils at the site below [in sig] that may ID your sound
card/chip so you can/may find the drivers you need to get it going
again.

For example:
http://www.hwinfo.com/html/download.html

Or, if no joy, and most likely you have onboard sound, it may be
easier/cheaper/less hours of time, to simply disable onboard sound in
the bios and get a $15 sound card that will come with a XP driver cd.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Have you gone to Windows Updates yet? It may detect your sound and install
drivers for it. I have had that happen on a couple different occasions on a
couple computers I have worked on doing clean installs as you did.

"Little John from Sherwood" <news@Privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have recently had to re-format my hard drive and have now got problems.
>
> My computer was supplied by Time who have now gone feet-up and now give no
> support whatsoever.
> I was supplied an emergency system CD-ROM which does not work!
>
> Now I have had to put in a clean boot of Windows XP Pro from a disk I had
> to buy, but it appears that it has not put in the Multimedia Audio
> Controller (in device manager I get the yellow "?" and on checking for
> what drivers are used it is showing no drivers installed.
>
> Can someone point me towards a suitable (generic) driver that will out the
> Controller in to my system.
> --
>
> Little John from Sherwood Forest!

Your PC is probably using onboard sound (i.e. the soundcard is integrated
into the motherboard of the PC).

You need to find out the manufacturere of the motherboard and then install
the onboard sound drivers.

Find out the manufacturer of your motherboard this way:
http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm

Then go to the manufacturer's website and download the sound drivers

Good Luck,

Tim