Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have been using an older type of mouse for years (one with a ball in
it), and got used to it. It finally failed (getting increasing
intermitant faults) so "upgraded" to an optical mouse.

I've adjusted the adjustable settings (in control pannel) as best I
can, but it still seems to respond slowly to a click . . . I often get
the change of image on the button I am clicking, signifying
"mouse-down", but then the button fails to change . . . I need to hold
down the click for a singificant fraction of a second longer for it to
actually change. As I am often working live in real-time (creating
music live), it is a significant problem to be slowed down so much more
than I have grown accustomed to.

Is this due to the nature of optical mouses, or just this particular
(cheap) one? Is there any settings somewhere I can change this, or am I
going to have to go back to a ball-type mouse to get the click-response
times I am used to?

The mouse is a Comat M-5088.

thanks in advance for any comments.

Chris

My optical mouse doesn't have your problem.
Did you switch from a PS2 to USB mouse?
Are the drivers correct?
--
Ron Sommer

<chris@chris-melchior.com> wrote in message
>I have been using an older type of mouse for years (one with a ball in
> it), and got used to it. It finally failed (getting increasing
> intermitant faults) so "upgraded" to an optical mouse.
>
> I've adjusted the adjustable settings (in control pannel) as best I
> can, but it still seems to respond slowly to a click . . . I often get
> the change of image on the button I am clicking, signifying
> "mouse-down", but then the button fails to change . . . I need to hold
> down the click for a singificant fraction of a second longer for it to
> actually change. As I am often working live in real-time (creating
> music live), it is a significant problem to be slowed down so much more
> than I have grown accustomed to.
>
> Is this due to the nature of optical mouses, or just this particular
> (cheap) one? Is there any settings somewhere I can change this, or am I
> going to have to go back to a ball-type mouse to get the click-response
> times I am used to?
>
> The mouse is a Comat M-5088.
>
> thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Chris

All mouses are optical incl ball mouses (although the ball rotates a sprocket that interupts a light beam).

The switch has nothing to do with optics. It is probably just your mouse.

Be aware the hate red surfaces or surfaces with too regular patterns or no patterns at all. But a switch is a switch.

Also wireless mouses are not suitable for use near a computer.

<chris@chris-melchior.com> wrote in message news:1126773925.150186.274980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have been using an older type of mouse for years (one with a ball in
> it), and got used to it. It finally failed (getting increasing
> intermitant faults) so "upgraded" to an optical mouse.
>
> I've adjusted the adjustable settings (in control pannel) as best I
> can, but it still seems to respond slowly to a click . . . I often get
> the change of image on the button I am clicking, signifying
> "mouse-down", but then the button fails to change . . . I need to hold
> down the click for a singificant fraction of a second longer for it to
> actually change. As I am often working live in real-time (creating
> music live), it is a significant problem to be slowed down so much more
> than I have grown accustomed to.
>
> Is this due to the nature of optical mouses, or just this particular
> (cheap) one? Is there any settings somewhere I can change this, or am I
> going to have to go back to a ball-type mouse to get the click-response
> times I am used to?
>
> The mouse is a Comat M-5088.
>
> thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Chris

Wireless mice work well near a PC. How far would your need to place the
wireless mouse, if you are using it in XP? I have several wireless mice
working and all are within 1-3 ft of the PCs.

Also, optical mice do not like a very reflective surface. An easy test is
to take plain sheet of paper and place it under the mouse. The mouse should
respond better.

Also, wireless mice are notorious for "eating" batteries. The batteries
power tend to be used up fast. Check with fresh batteries.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
All mouses are optical incl ball mouses (although the ball rotates a
sprocket that interupts a light beam).

The switch has nothing to do with optics. It is probably just your mouse.

Be aware the hate red surfaces or surfaces with too regular patterns or no
patterns at all. But a switch is a switch.

Also wireless mouses are not suitable for use near a computer.

<chris@chris-melchior.com> wrote in message
>I have been using an older type of mouse for years (one with a ball in
> it), and got used to it. It finally failed (getting increasing
> intermitant faults) so "upgraded" to an optical mouse.
>
> I've adjusted the adjustable settings (in control pannel) as best I
> can, but it still seems to respond slowly to a click . . . I often get
> the change of image on the button I am clicking, signifying
> "mouse-down", but then the button fails to change . . . I need to hold
> down the click for a singificant fraction of a second longer for it to
> actually change. As I am often working live in real-time (creating
> music live), it is a significant problem to be slowed down so much more
> than I have grown accustomed to.
>
> Is this due to the nature of optical mouses, or just this particular
> (cheap) one? Is there any settings somewhere I can change this, or am I
> going to have to go back to a ball-type mouse to get the click-response
> times I am used to?
>
> The mouse is a Comat M-5088.
>
> thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Chris

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

"David Candy" wrote:

> Also wireless mouses are not suitable for use near a computer.

That statement has won the award for the stupidest statement of the week!
If not near a computer, where do you suggest you use a mouse??? Near the
television, perhaps? Maybe near the toilet? How about using a mouse out in
the forest?

David. You're an idiot!