External HDD is connected Windows xp will not start

Hello
Any Help appreciated.

I have a freecom 80gb USB External HDD
which must be disconnected for windows to start
When the External HDD is connected Windows xp will not start up
any Idea's on how to fix this,

many thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about external connected windows start

    It may be that you have an older M/B which does not know how to handle the
    external USB drive and chokes upon detecting it. I have an older Win 98
    computer (kept active for gaming) that has this problem. Windows, on the
    other hand, has the drivers necessary to use the drive. See if there is a
    M/B bios upgrade available that corrects for the problem or learn to turn
    off the drive before booting.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    Eifion wrote:
    > Hello
    > Any Help appreciated.
    >
    > I have a freecom 80gb USB External HDD
    > which must be disconnected for windows to start
    > When the External HDD is connected Windows xp will not start up
    > any Idea's on how to fix this,

    Can you be more specific than "Windows xp will not start up?"

    Do you get the XP splash screen?

    Does Windows start to boot then stop?

    In the BIOS, with the external disk connected, what is the boot order?

    Upgrade your BIOS , update the drives firmware, update the enclosures
    firmware. Basically update everything.

    If that doesn't work,

    Then don't boot it that way.

    Seriously, not trying to be a smart ass. If the system doesn't do it, then
    don't do it. Sometime hardware just doesn't work nicely together. You either
    accept the little quirks, or you decide you want to invest a lot of time and
    energy in yelling at a vendor. Usually with no positive result.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "Eifion" <eifionapgwilym@myactiveware.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > Any Help appreciated.
    >
    > I have a freecom 80gb USB External HDD
    > which must be disconnected for windows to start
    > When the External HDD is connected Windows xp will not start up
    > any Idea's on how to fix this,
    >
    > many thanks

External Hard Drive Windows XP