Sign in with
Your question
Solved

All System tray icons missing

Last response: in Windows 7
November 28, 2012 4:00:25 AM

I know this has been discussed many times but all my icons are gone in my system tray.
I'm using windows 7 SP1
I've tried registry fixes, restarting explorer, turning off PNP services, a system restore, etc etc. without success.
The thing is that the icons reappear very briefly while I'm logging off ... and if for any reason the logging off is delayed while windows is trying to close programs and then I cancel the logging off, the icons manage to stay. But they disappear again in the next log-on.

Any suggestions ? I'm trying to avoid a re-install ...
Thanks
December 20, 2012 2:40:40 PM

Really? 3 weeks since I posted and not a single answer? Someone must have a solution for this ... please
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2012 11:35:50 PM

palosanto said:
Really? 3 weeks since I posted and not a single answer? Someone must have a solution for this ... please

Have you used a program such as AutoRuns to go through the items starting up when Windows does in order to try to isolate the program causing them to disappear. I would recommend that. Here is a few helpful links that you can use:

Autoruns - Created by Sysinternals originally (Microsoft now) to help users control their startup items.
Pacs Portal - Really ingenius site that you can type the name of a process in, it will let you know if it's needed or potentially malicious
Related resources
December 21, 2012 12:58:18 AM

Hi,

I use ccleaner startup feature to turn on/off or remove entries.
However, I tried Autoruns which shows hundreds of entries and I was able to see a few entries marked yellow as 'file not found'. I remove them and it actually fixed the problem. Unfortunately I cannot say for sure that this was the culprit because I was playing with a few entries in the registry prior to that ...
However, it is fixed now after months of frustration ...
THANKS A LOT
m
l
December 21, 2012 12:58:25 AM

Best answer selected by palosanto.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 1:50:44 PM

palosanto said:
Hi,

I use ccleaner startup feature to turn on/off or remove entries.
However, I tried Autoruns which shows hundreds of entries and I was able to see a few entries marked yellow as 'file not found'. I remove them and it actually fixed the problem. Unfortunately I cannot say for sure that this was the culprit because I was playing with a few entries in the registry prior to that ...
However, it is fixed now after months of frustration ...
THANKS A LOT

No problem. Glad to help!
m
l
!