Tech Help with Gottlieb System 3 Flipper Coils

tanman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004

I have a street fighter 2 Gottlieb System 3 with a weak flipper.

Today I was checking some switches and noticed the lower R & L flipper
coils are different. One is A-25959 the correct one that came with the
game & the other is A-29876. Anyway the A-29876 is a lot stronger than the
A-25959.

Any harm to put another A-29876 in the A-25959 place? I have been playing
this game over a year like this & the stronger coil would help out for
those big ramps. Have heard lots of people complain the flippers being
weak but this other coil works quite well.
Any help appreciated. T

The spec’s I found for the coils are:

Flipper Coil Wire Gauge-Turns Resistance

A-25959 22-445 / 30-1225 3.85 / 202
Red

A-29876 23-560 / 33-3325 2.36 / 202
Orange

It's called customizing your game. This is the same principal as
re-tapping a transformer on EM's. Of course it could also be by
accident or necessity. The pitch of the game is also a consideration.
Here's a scenario to consider.

Take Wipe Out. Put 28 1/2" legs on it all around. To great a pitch
for flippers that are halfway through thier life. This game works
really nicely with 31" legs in the front and 28 1/2" on the rear.
Adjust the rear leg leveler to get the ball speed you desire. Leave
the front levelers all the way in. Stock flippers work well. The same
applies to SF 2.

You will hear some of the group mention using a standard height to set
all your games by based on ergonomics. The only problem with that is
we are all different heights. What's ergonomic for you mgiht not be
for me. But there may be a happy medium in there for the average sized
guy. For me I am real comfortable with the flipper buttons at 36".

I went to a service call where all the games were set up based on the
backbox height. The owner's wife likes things orderly. Big mistake.
After I convinced them to set up the games based on more reasonable
criteria they really enjoyed the games more, and called me to tell me
about it.

So, flipper strength, it's what you like, minus the effects on the
games plastics and targets. You start with what it was designed with
and then make a choice. Stronger or weaker. You make the call.

Mario
Pinthetic