Dancali

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I'm so glad to have found this board. One of my big things to do currently is upgrade my computer so this is the perfect place for help.

I plan on upgrading my system pretty soon. I currently have a 2.0 g Celeron in an ECS Elitegroup P4VMM2 mb.

From reading on this board it seems that a 2.8c p4 is a great value for a high-end chip. I think that's what I'll get. I also plan to eventually get an ABIT IS7 mb.

But if I just bought the fast cpu for now, could I just stick it in my old motherboard and it'll work? This is a 478 pin motherboard.

endyen

Splendid
Your board was designed for 133 fsb chips. The P4c chips are designed to run on a 200 fsb. If you put the P4c 2.8 chip on your board, with its 14X multiplier, the chip will run at 1862mhz or about 2/3s of it's rated speed. You may be better off to try one of the 2.4 prescott chips.

Dancali

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I think I'm going with the 2.8c as I'm going to be upgrading my otherboard very soon as well. I suppose I ought to just upgrade both at the same time.

But the 2.8c in the handicapped motherboard will still be quite a bit better than the 2.0 celeron, won't it?

Any other tips?

endyen

Splendid
At 1.86 a P4c will indeed be much better than the celeron. Since you will be tossing the board anyhow, why not try a small overclock. The chip would still be underclocked of course, so would be pretty safe.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>At 1.86 a P4c will indeed be much better than the celeron.

Running of a 533 Mhz FSB, calling it a 1.86 P4<b>B</b> would be closer to the truth :) But I agree, it would be faster than a 2 Ghz Celeron. <i>Anything</i> is faster than a 2 Ghz celeron :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some PIII's are faster than the 2.0GHz Celeron. I believe the Celeron 1400 is faster than the 2.0GHz Celeron. And I know Durons have been faster for a while now.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dancali

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Well, this is all the more motivation for me to upgrade. When I first got this computer I just wanted something adequate to use the internet. But I now am on the computer full-time and it's just not worth it for me to stick with this slow processor. I'm moving up! It's either the 2.8c pentium 4 or the athlon 64 3000+ for me. I'll still try to figure this one out.