PAPA Machine specific settings

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

Gang,

I've been looking at the PAPA scores in case I can get there next year
and while I wouldn't be making to top spot, I'm happy to see I wouldn't
be embarrassing myself - which is important in life.

Just wondering if there is an archive of the machine specific settings.
The overview of setting is on the website, and I have have found a
couple of docs on google for a few machines like TZ where they set it
with less balls in the gumball, etc.

These docs are getting old now, just wonder if they are current, and if
there is a central repository of these settings somewhere.

Cheers
MacMan

Todd

You raise a good point there MacMan. I'd also like to know the game
settings in order to judge myself against those attending PAPA to
better prepare myself next year. Looking over most of the scores from
this year I can see myself besting a few of them. Of course the whole
thing is to string good scores on different machines on a single
entry.

No excuses for me not attending PAPA9, I will be there!
Todd "GravitaR"

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:59:55 GMT, MacMan
<funster@ahtbigpond.dohtnet.au> wrote:

>Gang,
>
>I've been looking at the PAPA scores in case I can get there next year
>and while I wouldn't be making to top spot, I'm happy to see I wouldn't
>be embarrassing myself - which is important in life.
>
>Just wondering if there is an archive of the machine specific settings.
>The overview of setting is on the website, and I have have found a
>couple of docs on google for a few machines like TZ where they set it
>with less balls in the gumball, etc.
>
>These docs are getting old now, just wonder if they are current, and if
>there is a central repository of these settings somewhere.
>
>Cheers
>MacMan

Just returned a few hours ago, my son took second place in the junior
division finals. I tried to qualify in the B, C, classic 2 divisions and
the only difference I seen with the machine settings were the angles.
While B and C are for novice and regular tournament players you can see
the big difference in the A division.
I know I can play a good game of pinball but for me the games that I
played the past 2 days were much faster than I am used to and for the
most part it was due to their increased machine angle.

The past 2 days was the best pinball experience I ever had, nothing even
comes close to the amount of machines, quality of machines and level of
play that is there.

Rip

the pitched up playfields, very well waxed and removal of the outlane
posts as well as all "hard" feature settings. they are set awesome and
in the best true tournament style i haev seen to date.
in other words, if you can score 500 mil on a normal arcade set up
addams family, you can only prob score 40 million on one at the
tourney.
same as for pro bowling tour lanes as compared to normal weekly league
play lanes at a bowling alley, big difference.

no posts at all on some, others moved up all the way.
all setting are hard (no x balls, all hard setting for modes, jackpots,
etc)
back legs jacked up and all tilts set extra tight.
they set em up perfect. they all do a hell of a job there (techs,
kevin, etc)
superior A+ ran event.

no posts at all on some, others moved up all the way.
all setting are hard (no x balls, all hard setting for modes, jackpots,
etc)
back legs jacked up and all tilts set extra tight.
they set em up perfect. they all do a hell of a job there (techs,
kevin, etc)
superior A+ ran event.

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

In article <1124069401.831097.301320@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"i'm happy-talky-talking tina, here's your extra ball"
<who_won@hotmail.com> wrote:

> the pitched up playfields, very well waxed and removal of the outlane
> posts as well as all "hard" feature settings. they are set awesome and
> in the best true tournament style i haev seen to date.
> in other words, if you can score 500 mil on a normal arcade set up
> addams family, you can only prob score 40 million on one at the
> tourney.
> same as for pro bowling tour lanes as compared to normal weekly league
> play lanes at a bowling alley, big difference.

That's exactly what we need to know to practice for PAPA. Are the
outlane posts removed or just set high?

PAPA.org says that default factory settings are used - default is
usually normal, so are they set to extra hard? Or just some features?

And the machines that are pitched up, what are they pitched up to. I
would imagine some machines with steep ramps would have a limit.

Cheers
Macman

if you had any clue, you would KNOW their is no way you can even come
close to comparing everydays scores with those put up on papa machines.
just because you can drop a 2B on an in house tz with extra balls on
and a weak tilt, don't expect to show up at papa and expect to come
home with anything except a lighter wallet. :)

if you want to see if you can compete with the guys in a division, go
to the high scores page at www.pinballreviews.com, if you look at those
scores and think the zero key got jammed, forget about it.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Some of the high scores on that page are pretty nice, some get smoked
though.

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> if you had any clue, you would KNOW their is no way you can even come
> close to comparing everydays scores with those put up on papa machines.
> just because you can drop a 2B on an in house tz with extra balls on
> and a weak tilt, don't expect to show up at papa and expect to come
> home with anything except a lighter wallet. :)
>
> if you want to see if you can compete with the guys in a division, go
> to the high scores page at www.pinballreviews.com, if you look at those
> scores and think the zero key got jammed, forget about it.
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Or, better yet, look at some of the games that were, say, in C
qualifying bank and then put in A Division finals and compare the
scores there.

Todd

Thanks for the information "i'm happy-talky-talking tina, here's your
extra ball".

I had no idea that the machines were set at such a difficult level of
play. Just makes me respect those that do well in the tourney even
more.

Hats off to you all.
Todd "GravitaR"

----------

On 14 Aug 2005 20:07:54 -0700, "i'm happy-talky-talking tina, here's
your extra ball" <who_won@hotmail.com> wrote:

>no posts at all on some, others moved up all the way.
>all setting are hard (no x balls, all hard setting for modes, jackpots,
>etc)
>back legs jacked up and all tilts set extra tight.
>they set em up perfect. they all do a hell of a job there (techs,
>kevin, etc)
>superior A+ ran event.

I can talk about some of the machine-specific settings, but since you
don't know what games are there until you show, it's kind of useless.
A few examples:

TZ had two balls in the gumball machine, and you needed to spell
GUM-BALL a second time before the ramp release and second lock would
light up. Otherwise, settings seemed pretty standard. I could not
recall whether the Piano and Slot automatically relit after a ball; I
suspect they did not (under Install Hard).

Whirlwind required you to make one shot direction before the other
would light: so, for example, only the two yellow NW (or NE?) shots
were lit at the start of ball 1. Also, the Door would not relight
automatically on a new ball: only the side ramp would relight the Door
solidly. Timers were pretty short, and there were more directionals
required for some locks (the 4x lock took 3 directionals, not 2).
Multiball release was side ramp only, even on the first multiball.

Simpsons did not automatically relight either Otto or TV at the end of
a ball. Otherwise, things seemed normal (30-second timer).

Whitewater seemed to play on factory settings, and so did Jackbot.
Jackbot was shiny fast crazy difficult.

Addams Gold was on factory settings, but the posts above each outlane
were REMOVED COMPLETELY. Ouch.

Umm... I didn't play the other A Division games, so I can't tell you
what happened with their settings. In the finals, almost everything
seemed relatively factory-fresh, but I think that is reasonable since
it's okay for the games to go a little longer.

Hope that helps, let me know what other questions you have about it.
Maybe someday I can put together some more PAPA Strategy Guides like
the good ole days when I had free time ;) Perhaps as a community we
can make these guides for all the games in this year's A, B, and C
Divisions, and I'll be happy to coordinate such an effort...

- Bowen

I didn't see Todd's post as a "Looks like I coulda won this thing"
reflection, so I don't see the reason for the slam here. And what Todd
says is right on: I think he can best some of the scores there -- not
necessarily to hit #1, but to get on the board of some of the games.
It's really having a consistent run of 3, 4, or all 5 games scoring
points that is necessary for success in PAPA qualifying.

Also, bear in mind that games in PAPA qualifying are played without
extra balls and with very tight tilts (well, mostly...). One of the
best ways to "warm up" for PAPA, or any tournament really, is to play
with no extra balls -- it really changes strategies a lot.

PAPA 9: only 52 weeks away!

- Bowen

> > if you want to see if you can compete with the guys in a division, go
> > to the high scores page at www.pinballreviews.com, if you look at those
> > scores and think the zero key got jammed, forget about it.
> >
> > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
>
> Or, better yet, look at some of the games that were, say, in C
> qualifying bank and then put in A Division finals and compare the
> scores there.

Well, you can't always do that either. I don't know if the games were
adjusted this year, but in past years I have seen the playfield incline
changed from the settings in the C division to be much steeper for the
A division finals. You really have to play the actual games at PAPA to
know if you could do better or not. For example, Lyman posted a score
of 3.2B on a TAF in the practice bank with a crowd watching, yet his
best score in the A division qualifying round on a TAFG was under 200M.
On the Funhouse in the B division it was very hard to hit the mirror
and the ramp because the right flipper was a bit weak. As others have
said, the games are on the highest difficulty with lots of little
tweaks to provide even more challenge.

Brian Bannon

Bowen Kerins wrote:
> TZ had two balls in the gumball machine, and you needed to spell
> GUM-BALL a second time before the ramp release and second lock would
> light up. Otherwise, settings seemed pretty standard. I could not
> recall whether the Piano and Slot automatically relit after a ball; I
> suspect they did not (under Install Hard).

They did relight, actually. The TZ came from B, where the
settings aren't necessarily as hard. In fact, there were 3
balls in the gumball machine while the game was in B.

> Whirlwind required you to make one shot direction before the other
> would light: so, for example, only the two yellow NW (or NE?) shots
> were lit at the start of ball 1. Also, the Door would not relight
> automatically on a new ball: only the side ramp would relight the Door
> solidly.

The worst part of that, in my opinion, is that the right ramp
is frequently in the up position, to allow you to setup a side
ramp shot. So there's not much looping of Skyway Tolls.

> Whitewater seemed to play on factory settings, and so did Jackbot.
> Jackbot was shiny fast crazy difficult.

I believe Jack*Bot was set to require two separate lock
sequences on the first multiball. Whitewater doesn't have
much in the way of useful settings, except timers. I don't
like to mess with timers, in most cases.

> Addams Gold was on factory settings, but the posts above each outlane
> were REMOVED COMPLETELY. Ouch.

It was still surprisingly playable, in my opinion ;) I
played four A entries and broke 100M on TAF for three of
those.

> Umm... I didn't play the other A Division games, so I can't tell you
> what happened with their settings. In the finals, almost everything
> seemed relatively factory-fresh, but I think that is reasonable since
> it's okay for the games to go a little longer.

Sopranos had no outlane posts, and I believe WCS had no
right outlane post. Congo had no left outlane post, but
in fact some players were saying that helped with the
Skill Fire mode. Dredd required extra shots to light
modes but that is really not a huge challenge.

Congo would have had no right outlane post, except the
post had been overtightened at some point in the past,
creating a large dimple in the playfield. That matched
perfectly with the metal lane divider below it and
created a wicked ball trap.

Kevin

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

That's great Bowen, thanks! And congratulations!

Some of my machines are pretty common sense in setting it, or their is
information deep in the archives. Two I can't find anything on are LOTR
and DM.

I thought DM may not be a great tournament machine because of how you
can use the cryo claw get multiballs.

And LOTR is just too new.

And I don't imagine SC appears in tournaments too often. When playing
with friends, we use Assualt as the tie breaker.

Cheers
Macman

MacMan wrote:
> I thought DM may not be a great tournament machine because of how you
> can use the cryo claw get multiballs.
>
> And LOTR is just too new.

LOTR was a terrific success in last year's and this year's
PAPA. Demo Man is an excellent game for competition, as well,
except for mechanical reliability. It's also very tricky to
get a DM machine to "feel" right, in my opinion. The Cryo
Claw isn't a problem; it's strategic and useful to use that
to light or start Multiballs.

The only reason we didn't use DM this year is because both
of the best DMs we had were having Claw problems. Simple but
annoying problems - the ball would not fall into the Prison
Break slot, or the ball would hang up on the leftmost rollover
when dropped there after a Super Jackpot (this was the game on
the mini-tournament bank). No easy fixes for these.

Kevin

I'd think that especially with A division players, to keep game times
down you'd want to have everything as conservative as allowed on that
machine (I would not have thought to totally remove outlane posts
though - that's just plain evil!!)

Todd

Thanks Bowin for seeing my point of view expressed in my post above
and for informing me along with other interested readers on how the
games at PAPA are set up.

Having no posts/post raised to the top in the outlanes, tight tilts,
and no extra balls would sure make games much harder for sure. Now I
have some insight on the challenge awaiting me at PAPA9.

I will be there, Hope to see you at Expo 2005.
Todd "GravitaR"

----------

On 15 Aug 2005 19:08:57 -0700, "Bowen Kerins" <bkerins@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I didn't see Todd's post as a "Looks like I coulda won this thing"
>reflection, so I don't see the reason for the slam here. And what Todd
>says is right on: I think he can best some of the scores there -- not
>necessarily to hit #1, but to get on the board of some of the games.
>It's really having a consistent run of 3, 4, or all 5 games scoring
>points that is necessary for success in PAPA qualifying.
>
>Also, bear in mind that games in PAPA qualifying are played without
>extra balls and with very tight tilts (well, mostly...). One of the
>best ways to "warm up" for PAPA, or any tournament really, is to play
>with no extra balls -- it really changes strategies a lot.
>
>PAPA 9: only 52 weeks away!
>
>- Bowen

Todd

Thanks very much for the game specific setting information that you
experienced during your "A" division play. I hope others can fill in
some of the information regarding the games in use in all of the
divisions. Would be great to have in order to better prepare for next
years tourney.

If you could coordinate a PAPA strategy guide it would be greatly
appreciated to say the least. I'm sure others would find the resource
most valuable in thier Papa quest and in everyday play as well. I'll
have to set up my TZ to mimic the settings that you mentioned to get
an idea at how much harder it must of been to play at those settings
vs factory ones.

Email with questions will be headed your way shortly;
Much appreciated

Todd "GravitaR"

---------

On 15 Aug 2005 19:03:45 -0700, "Bowen Kerins" <bkerins@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I can talk about some of the machine-specific settings, but since you
>don't know what games are there until you show, it's kind of useless.
>A few examples:
>
>TZ had two balls in the gumball machine, and you needed to spell
>GUM-BALL a second time before the ramp release and second lock would
>light up. Otherwise, settings seemed pretty standard. I could not
>recall whether the Piano and Slot automatically relit after a ball; I
>suspect they did not (under Install Hard).
>
>Whirlwind required you to make one shot direction before the other
>would light: so, for example, only the two yellow NW (or NE?) shots
>were lit at the start of ball 1. Also, the Door would not relight
>automatically on a new ball: only the side ramp would relight the Door
>solidly. Timers were pretty short, and there were more directionals
>required for some locks (the 4x lock took 3 directionals, not 2).
>Multiball release was side ramp only, even on the first multiball.
>
>Simpsons did not automatically relight either Otto or TV at the end of
>a ball. Otherwise, things seemed normal (30-second timer).
>
>Whitewater seemed to play on factory settings, and so did Jackbot.
>Jackbot was shiny fast crazy difficult.
>
>Addams Gold was on factory settings, but the posts above each outlane
>were REMOVED COMPLETELY. Ouch.
>
>Umm... I didn't play the other A Division games, so I can't tell you
>what happened with their settings. In the finals, almost everything
>seemed relatively factory-fresh, but I think that is reasonable since
>it's okay for the games to go a little longer.
>
>Hope that helps, let me know what other questions you have about it.
>Maybe someday I can put together some more PAPA Strategy Guides like
>the good ole days when I had free time ;) Perhaps as a community we
>can make these guides for all the games in this year's A, B, and C
>Divisions, and I'll be happy to coordinate such an effort...
>
>- Bowen

> Thanks very much for the game specific setting information that you
> experienced during your "A" division play. I hope others can fill in
> some of the information regarding the games in use in all of the
> divisions. Would be great to have in order to better prepare for next
> years tourney.

I played almost every game in the B bank and most seemed pretty close
to factory aside from tournament mode settings and the posts set up.
Even some of the posts weren't set up. The one thing I noticed was
harder than normal was that on LOTR you could not stack locks for Two
Towers multiball. You had to lock a ball before you could spell KEEP
again. However it also had the Cave Troll sequence for FOTR multiball,
which the practice bank game did not. The only game I didn't play once
was Eight Ball Deluxe, but I don't know what all you could do there.

Other than that so far as I could tell all the games were set on
standard. For instance, Pool Ball Mania in Cue Ball Wizard was 5M/shot,
not 3M. Big Guns' rescue timer was 12 seconds. Mirror/Piano/Flag Mode
relit on each ball like normal. Multiball was lit automatically on the
third ball on Tommy. etc, etc, etc. I am sure these would have been set
to hard for A bank qualifying.

The biggest thing that made games TZ/FH problematic for me was that the
kickouts were wildly unpredictable which made the games hard to handle,
especially TZ which I had practiced extensively before the tournament.
However that practice was on my own game which is in mint condition and
totally dialed in.

Since people want to know how to prepare for tournaments, I offer these
suggestions.

1) Go to all your games right now and set the posts all the way up.
This alone will drastically improve your play in general, although it
will be a total bitch at first, esp if they were all the way down.

2) Go out and play games on location. Home games tend to be tweaked to
the nth degree to play as perfectly as possible, and you need to learn
to deal with miscelaneous problems like flippers that are not aligned
the way you expect, or kickouts that cannot be handled predictably.

3) Set your games for no extras, or when playing on location do not
make shooting for them a priority. As Bowen said above, this really
changes game strategy. On AFM for instance, completing two saucers is
something you always want to do on a normal game because of the EB. In
tourney mode you pretty much never shoot the saucer anymore because its
way too risky compared to the points you can get elsewhere.

4) Become point oriented, not goal oriented. Stop focusing on how to
get LITZ and start thinking about where the less risky points are
(hint: how many uncollected gumball machines worth 25M a piece do you
generally leave at the end of a game?)

5) Learn to play games you don't like. This has always been the hardest
thing for me. In B bank this year, we had Funhouse which is one of my
favorite games, but all weekend it was just beating the hell out of me.
I couldn't get it going. In the meantime, we had Cue Ball Wizard which
I had never really played before, and when I did I HATED it, but
everyone was talking about how it was in great shape and playing really
well. So I got the rulesheet off the net, Keith Johnson gave me a
couple pointers, and I played it a few times in the practice bank and
realized this was a game I could do well at. So I stopped playing
Funhouse and started playing CBW and my results started improving
dramatically. The game was friendly, the flippers were strong, the
kickouts were predictable, and on my last entry I had a 600M score
worth 4th place. I still hate the game, but in the future I am going to
seriously rethink my game selection criteria to be more focused on
games I can beat rather than games I like.

There is more, so much more, that could be said on this topic. I
remember back in the day when discussion of game play and strategies
was the majority of the focus on rgp, and its sad to see that taking
such a backseat now. Perhaps more high profile tournaments and leagues
can bring some of that focus back, although I'm not going to hold my
breath.

In article <1124202247.409197.39980@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
seymour-shabow@excite.com <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
>I'd think that especially with A division players, to keep game times
>down you'd want to have everything as conservative as allowed on that
>machine (I would not have thought to totally remove outlane posts
>though - that's just plain evil!!)

IIRC we did it for Maverick on the "A" Bank at PAPA 5. I also remember
removing outlane miniposts at several tournaments in that era - Tommy or
Frankenstein or even Twister come to mind.

Also at PAPA 5 I remember outlane miniposts with rubber removed. Perhaps
Demo Man on the "B" bank? I put up some truly atrocious scores on it!

Orin

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |

Greg Dunlap wrote:
> 5) Learn to play games you don't like. This has always been the hardest
> thing for me. In B bank this year, we had Funhouse which is one of my
> favorite games, but all weekend it was just beating the hell out of me.

Incidentally, Funhouse was set to start at 6pm, and 4pm after
the first multiball. I believe normal is 9pm? So quite a bit
more play time was required to light multiball.

> There is more, so much more, that could be said on this topic. I
> remember back in the day when discussion of game play and strategies
> was the majority of the focus on rgp, and its sad to see that taking
> such a backseat now. Perhaps more high profile tournaments and leagues
> can bring some of that focus back, although I'm not going to hold my
> breath.

Well, we have to start somewhere, don't we? :)

Kevin

Last year in A Division, Funhouse was set to 4pm for the first
multiball, and 1 pm after that. Ho boy! AND... hitting Rudy would NOT
light the next Mystery Mirror. The only way to light Mirror was the
inlane, and only for a few seconds.

EVIL!

Huge thanks to Kevin, Nancee, Steve, Rob, Nixi, Brooke, Brett, and
surely the many others I've forgotten who spent so much time and energy
getting PAPA set up and keeping everything so well-organized the entire
time. It can only be a labor of love for all of them -- give 'em a
round of applause :) I think a high-profile event like PAPA can be the
way to get pinball back on the map for many people around the US.

And thanks to all for the kind words, I'm sure I'll be doing the same
for next year's winner. Plus, that slide on Getaway was never 3
inches! Maybe, maybe, 8 centimeters. It's not like it was on video or
anything, right?

For me, going to PAPA has been a joy and a celebration of pinball with
a whole lot of friends. Regardless of your playing ability, get to
PAPA 9 if only to appreciate the astounding collection of high-quality
games, and to meet some really cool people who all share the pinball
bug.

51 1/2 weeks to PAPA 9...

- Bowen

More high profile tournaments and leagues isn't going to be easy. It's hard
enough to get people to show up, let alone sponsors. Maybe if ESPN
eventually discovers pinball, or the guy's movie set for Sundance in 2007
brings some interest from other than the normal sources, it might get easier
to put things together. LTG :)