Well - a couple of years ago I heard about a tool to integrate fonts on
websites without defining a font-family. I seeked it up, Microsoft WEFT and
installed it. Since then I never really tried the program 'cause it always
ended up with the same error: something about having problems with scanning
my fonts. I have about 600 fonts installed (I am working with design and
layout) - I tried to remove the fonts that messed it all up but i realized
that it wasnt a suitable way of solving the problem - mostly because it isnt
just 5 fonts but more than 20...

Anyway I did as I use to do: wait until a new version of the program has
been released, which never happend so now I wanna know if there is a way to
solve the problem.
The error is shown at http://www.dnup.dk/untitled.jpg

I am running Windows XP SP2 (but I have also tried while running SP1). I
have tried to install it on my desktop-computer too before i got this laptop
and I got the exact same error... so is it possible to get rid of the error
and still use this program?

// peter

On Thursday 15 September 2005 04:34 am, peter hansen had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Well - a couple of years ago I heard about a tool to integrate fonts on
> websites without defining a font-family. I seeked it up, Microsoft WEFT
> and installed it. Since then I never really tried the program 'cause it
> always ended up with the same error: something about having problems with
> scanning my fonts. I have about 600 fonts installed (I am working with
> design and layout) - I tried to remove the fonts that messed it all up but
> i realized that it wasnt a suitable way of solving the problem - mostly
> because it isnt just 5 fonts but more than 20...
>
> Anyway I did as I use to do: wait until a new version of the program has
> been released, which never happend so now I wanna know if there is a way
> to solve the problem.
> The error is shown at http://www.dnup.dk/untitled.jpg
>
> I am running Windows XP SP2 (but I have also tried while running SP1). I
> have tried to install it on my desktop-computer too before i got this
> laptop and I got the exact same error... so is it possible to get rid of
> the error and still use this program?
>

> // peter

Why would you want to build a website that didn't follow the W3C standards?
I can understand it if you're doing it for internal use only and you KNOW
that all visitors to the site will be using IE. But if the site is going to
be part of the www, it should be written to accomodate as many browsers as
possible.

--
Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17

> Why would you want to build a website that didn't follow the W3C
> standards?
> I can understand it if you're doing it for internal use only and you KNOW
> that all visitors to the site will be using IE. But if the site is going
> be part of the www, it should be written to accomodate as many browsers as
> possible.

uhm - so this is chapter one billion in the Book of War between Linux and
Microsoft?
And the answer to you question: I often dont give a damn about other
browsers elsethen IE.

// peter

:
: uhm - so this is chapter one billion in the Book of War
between Linux and
: Microsoft?
: And the answer to you question: I often dont give a damn
about other
: browsers elsethen IE.
:
:
: // peter

Has nothing to do with MS or IE. It has to do with web
standards. If you want to use an abnormal font then the best
thing to do is to generate an image of your funky text. Even
if can get WEFT to work, and have permissions to
redistribute, and they have IE, you have to hope that the
client has chosen to allow Install on Demand, and will
choose to accept a download from you- someone that the
client most likely does not know, and if they had any
brains, would not accept the download from you (being you
are not some big company). Seeings you like to do flash, and
are avtive in various forums, ask them what they recommend
you do. Join a web dev forum and they will most likely tell
you the same thing

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:51:40 +0200 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, peter hansen favored us with...
> uhm - so this is chapter one billion in the Book of War between Linux and
> Microsoft?

No, it's the war between Microsoft and standards. There are plenty of
Windows-based browsers that do a much better job of following the
standards.

> And the answer to you question: I often dont give a damn about other
> browsers elsethen IE.

Then you're eliminating literally millions of potential visitors to
your site.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Post in the following community:-
http://groups.msn.com/MicrosoftWEFTuserscommunity/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

regards,
ssg MS-MVP