Sales tax on reimports

I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I owe
them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees and
interest.

I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified them
as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal use
only.

I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.

Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
get out of paying the state?

Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
collection for that amount of cash.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
28 answers Last reply
More about sales reimports

    This is something that could vary from state to state. And it may have
    nothing to do with reimports, there is a difference between what you pay or
    don't pay duty on and what is covered under your states sales tax codes, two
    different things entirely. You'll need to talk to a tax attorney well versed
    on Illinois sales tax. You might be better off talking to Illinois and
    seeing if they'll wave or reduce the late fees and interest. LTG :)

    "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    > I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    > received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I
    owe
    > them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees and
    > interest.
    >
    > I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified
    them
    > as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal use
    > only.
    >
    > I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    > get out of paying the state?
    >
    > Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    > collection for that amount of cash.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    if you can show them a recent picture of the machines in your game
    room, you stand a snowball's chance in hell of finding somebody willing
    to believe your story and taking leiniency on you on reducing the
    amount owed,etc.. If not, they are going to say you imported for the
    money, cough up and that you should have gotten better advice in 2002.

    --tako

    Doug O'Brien wrote:
    > I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    > received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I owe
    > them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees and
    > interest.
    >
    > I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified them
    > as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal use
    > only.
    >
    > I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    > get out of paying the state?
    >
    > Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    > collection for that amount of cash.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    they are the ones claiming that you have to pay.

    ask them to ref the stat that says you do. then go look it up on the
    net and see what it says.

    its just like if you got a traffic ticket or something. they can't
    accuse you of breaking the law without telling you what law was broken.

    john

    www.kansascitypinball.com

    Use tax is a sneaky trick that states use to capture sales tax on
    out-of-state purchases. Mostly, states don't enforce it, which is why
    we are looking at these initiatives to collect sales tax on
    out-of-state sales. In this case, it looks like your broker reported
    the transaction. I don't think that Customs cares about state sales
    tax.

    You should talk to a tax attorney, but I wouldn't expect good news.
    Best you can hope for is a waiver on the penalties.

    http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/usetax.htm

    This came from the Illinois Dept of Revenue. This sounds like sales tax (as
    stated) which is not the same thing as a duty fee. Since these were made in
    US and reimported - I don't believe a duty is due. However, since you took
    possesion of these in Illinois - it sounds like Illinois wants you to pay
    sales tax on them. Not sure how they found out about this unless the
    customs people notified the Illinois dept of revenue.

    Here in Nebraska - we must report all purchases online via internet, phone,
    etc as 'consumer use' items. If a sales tax wasn't paid at time of
    purchase, then a consumer use tax (same as sales tax) is due. They want it
    within the first 15 days of January.... and claim everyone should know about
    this and must do it or else face penalties. Yeah, like people are going to
    report Ebay purchases in order to pay consumer use tax. Illinois might have
    a similar type of setup.

    The only exemption to the Nebraska consumer use tax is if the item purchased
    is specifically for resale.... and you must have a tax ID number. This
    way - no taxes are paid by 'the middle man'. As soon as you make this a
    'for your use' item, this exemption goes away.

    My 2cents,
    Ed

    "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    >I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    >received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I
    >owe them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees
    >and interest.
    >
    > I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified
    > them as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal
    > use only.
    >
    > I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    > get out of paying the state?
    >
    > Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    > collection for that amount of cash.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    Yup, my small business pays the state of IN use taxes on purchases made
    outside the state quarterly along with my state sales tax for in state
    sales.

    It's a pain, but what else can I do legally?

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "GPE" <See_my_website_for_email@cox.net> wrote in message

    > This came from the Illinois Dept of Revenue. This sounds like sales tax
    > (as stated) which is not the same thing as a duty fee. Since these were
    > made in US and reimported - I don't believe a duty is due. However, since
    > you took possesion of these in Illinois - it sounds like Illinois wants
    > you to pay sales tax on them. Not sure how they found out about this
    > unless the customs people notified the Illinois dept of revenue.
    >
    > Here in Nebraska - we must report all purchases online via internet,
    > phone, etc as 'consumer use' items. If a sales tax wasn't paid at time of
    > purchase, then a consumer use tax (same as sales tax) is due. They want
    > it within the first 15 days of January.... and claim everyone should know
    > about this and must do it or else face penalties. Yeah, like people are
    > going to report Ebay purchases in order to pay consumer use tax. Illinois
    > might have a similar type of setup.
    >
    > The only exemption to the Nebraska consumer use tax is if the item
    > purchased is specifically for resale.... and you must have a tax ID
    > number. This way - no taxes are paid by 'the middle man'. As soon as
    > you make this a 'for your use' item, this exemption goes away.
    >
    > My 2cents,
    > Ed
    >

    > "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    >>I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    >>received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I
    >>owe them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees
    >>and interest.
    >>
    >> I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified
    >> them as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal
    >> use only.
    >>
    >> I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    >> get out of paying the state?
    >>
    >> Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    >> collection for that amount of cash.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Doug

    There's that old saying about death and taxes. It is true.

    many states are trying to get together to agree to collect sales tax on
    out-of-tax sales. So John, if your small business sells something to me
    in California you will get to collect taxes at 8.25 percent (state +
    city + county) and remit to the appropriate authorities.

    Whether it will succeed or not is another question. As you might
    imagine, it could be quite a paperwork challenge.

    That doesn't make sense. You reimported a pinball machine back from Outside
    of United States to back into the country. Since these machines were made in
    Chicago, IL, you DO NOT have to pay any import of customs duties. You can
    look up a "Harmonized Cargo code" for pinball machines, if you can't find
    it, let me know I will dig it up for you, I hope.

    Again, you do not pay Federal import tax for something that was made here,
    shipped out and got back. Now, about the sales tax... What tf are they
    talking about - what sales tax, did IL Dept. of Revenue sell you the
    machines?

    Now, everything I am telling you about is Federal, US Customs and Texas law.
    I suppose it could be different for Illinois since they were made there, I
    absolutely have no idea and I cannot advise you there. I'd suggest you find
    someone who can explain those things to you.Maybe another fellow collector,
    maybe someone in IL who imported machines, ex-Wms employee, Stern employee,
    somebody who has a business in IL selling pinballs. If they personally don't
    know, they might know a broker or a Custom assistance company that helped
    them reimport the games back into the country. Do not give them something
    just because they are asking you to. Ask for a relevant code, on what basis
    are they claiming you owe them what you owe them and why did they wait 3
    years to contact you about that matter. I am not giving you any legal,
    illegal, half baked or any kind of advice, just stating my opinion, trying
    to help.
    With all that said I wish you the best of luck and I hope you come out
    ahead!

    Adi
    www.txpinball.com

    "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    > I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    > received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I
    owe
    > them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees and
    > interest.
    >
    > I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified
    them
    > as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal use
    > only.
    >
    > I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    > get out of paying the state?
    >
    > Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    > collection for that amount of cash.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    Yes it does make sense. Many states charge sales on almost everything their
    residents buy. Even mail order or internet order. Though they may not find
    every single item coming into their state. Somethings like a big thing
    moving through customs leaves a trail that is easy to find. Sales tax has
    nothing to do with duties. So best find out for sure what exactly Illinois
    sales tax statutes say about this then proceed. LTG :)

    <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    > That doesn't make sense. You reimported a pinball machine back from
    Outside
    > of United States to back into the country. Since these machines were made
    in
    > Chicago, IL, you DO NOT have to pay any import of customs duties. You can
    > look up a "Harmonized Cargo code" for pinball machines, if you can't find
    > it, let me know I will dig it up for you, I hope.
    >
    > Again, you do not pay Federal import tax for something that was made here,
    > shipped out and got back. Now, about the sales tax... What tf are they
    > talking about - what sales tax, did IL Dept. of Revenue sell you the
    > machines?
    >
    > Now, everything I am telling you about is Federal, US Customs and Texas
    law.
    > I suppose it could be different for Illinois since they were made there, I
    > absolutely have no idea and I cannot advise you there. I'd suggest you
    find
    > someone who can explain those things to you.Maybe another fellow
    collector,
    > maybe someone in IL who imported machines, ex-Wms employee, Stern
    employee,
    > somebody who has a business in IL selling pinballs. If they personally
    don't
    > know, they might know a broker or a Custom assistance company that helped
    > them reimport the games back into the country. Do not give them something
    > just because they are asking you to. Ask for a relevant code, on what
    basis
    > are they claiming you owe them what you owe them and why did they wait 3
    > years to contact you about that matter. I am not giving you any legal,
    > illegal, half baked or any kind of advice, just stating my opinion, trying
    > to help.
    > With all that said I wish you the best of luck and I hope you come out
    > ahead!
    >
    > Adi
    > www.txpinball.com

    Interesting... Also, could be very true. but, then again, if he bought it
    overseas not in Illinois, why state sales tax? My sentiments exactly about
    finding out about the statutes.

    Adi
    www.txpinball.com

    "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > Yes it does make sense. Many states charge sales on almost everything
    their
    > residents buy. Even mail order or internet order. Though they may not find
    > every single item coming into their state. Somethings like a big thing
    > moving through customs leaves a trail that is easy to find. Sales tax has
    > nothing to do with duties. So best find out for sure what exactly Illinois
    > sales tax statutes say about this then proceed. LTG :)
    >
    > <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    > > That doesn't make sense. You reimported a pinball machine back from
    > Outside
    > > of United States to back into the country. Since these machines were
    made
    > in
    > > Chicago, IL, you DO NOT have to pay any import of customs duties. You
    can
    > > look up a "Harmonized Cargo code" for pinball machines, if you can't
    find
    > > it, let me know I will dig it up for you, I hope.
    > >
    > > Again, you do not pay Federal import tax for something that was made
    here,
    > > shipped out and got back. Now, about the sales tax... What tf are they
    > > talking about - what sales tax, did IL Dept. of Revenue sell you the
    > > machines?
    > >
    > > Now, everything I am telling you about is Federal, US Customs and Texas
    > law.
    > > I suppose it could be different for Illinois since they were made there,
    > > absolutely have no idea and I cannot advise you there. I'd suggest you
    > find
    > > someone who can explain those things to you.Maybe another fellow
    > collector,
    > > maybe someone in IL who imported machines, ex-Wms employee, Stern
    > employee,
    > > somebody who has a business in IL selling pinballs. If they personally
    > don't
    > > know, they might know a broker or a Custom assistance company that
    helped
    > > them reimport the games back into the country. Do not give them
    something
    > > just because they are asking you to. Ask for a relevant code, on what
    > basis
    > > are they claiming you owe them what you owe them and why did they wait 3
    > > years to contact you about that matter. I am not giving you any legal,
    > > illegal, half baked or any kind of advice, just stating my opinion,
    trying
    > > to help.
    > > With all that said I wish you the best of luck and I hope you come out
    > > ahead!
    > >
    > > Adi
    > > www.txpinball.com

    He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter where it
    was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find out for
    sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)

    GPE wrote:

    > My 2cents,
    > Ed

    What's the tax on that Ed?

    bogart
    www.pinrestore.com

    Where I live -- that would be $0.0011 in taxes.

    -- Ed

    "bogart" <pinrestore@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > GPE wrote:
    >
    >> My 2cents,
    >> Ed
    >
    > What's the tax on that Ed?
    >
    > bogart
    > www.pinrestore.com

    Thanks for all of the responses. Here is what the letter says -

    It has been determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue that you have
    purchased/imported tangible personal property from a foreign country. The
    details of the transaction(s) as declared by you or your agent/broker is in
    the attached schedule.

    Pursuant to provisions of 86 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1,
    Section 150.101, the Department is proposing the following tax liability:

    Tax Due: 1277
    Late filing Penalty: 48
    Interest Due on Tax: 357
    Total Due: 1682

    It goes on to say if I agree send the $1682, if I don't agree with the
    Department's determination, return the unsigned EDA-94 form with an
    explanation and documentation to support the legal basis for you
    disagreement.

    The kicker is that it says if I don't respond in 30 days it will result in
    an assessment of taxes penalty and interest. I guess the $400 in penalties
    and interest already isn't enough.

    I'm pretty sure I am going to have to talk to a tax attorney, I was hoping
    that someone on the newsgroup would say "all you need to do is fill out form
    xyz and everything will be fine". Very wishful thinking.

    I'm going to have to find this 86 Illinois Administrative Code and hopefully
    find something that might save me some cash.

    Doug

    > He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter where
    > it
    > was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find out
    > for
    > sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)
    >
    > <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    >> Interesting... Also, could be very true. but, then again, if he bought it
    >> overseas not in Illinois, why state sales tax? My sentiments exactly
    >> about
    >> finding out about the statutes.
    >>
    >> Adi
    >> www.txpinball.com

    Wow, this looks like they are trying to charge you a customs fee for an
    imported item.
    I didn't know this was done at the state level. Hopefully, "Reimported"
    items originally manufactured in the US don't fall under this catagory.
    Maybe this is covered in that "Provisions of 86 Illinois Admin code..."
    stuff.

    We had a heck of a time with customs a few years back. We took a bunch of
    PC's and such up into Canada for a demo at a customer site. Took quite abit
    of arguing to convince them that we were bringing stuff -back- that was
    originally "made in Japan" and already had customs paid on them.
    Thankfully, we had receipts for everything and had the serial numbers on
    them. Just spent an unexpected day up in northern Minnisota waiting for the
    receipts to be fed-ex'd to us. Would have been much nicer if it wasn't in
    the dead of winter!

    Good luck with this!!!
    Ed

    > Thanks for all of the responses. Here is what the letter says -
    >
    > It has been determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue that you have
    > purchased/imported tangible personal property from a foreign country. The
    > details of the transaction(s) as declared by you or your agent/broker is
    > in the attached schedule.
    >
    > Pursuant to provisions of 86 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1,
    > Section 150.101, the Department is proposing the following tax liability:
    >
    > Tax Due: 1277
    > Late filing Penalty: 48
    > Interest Due on Tax: 357
    > Total Due: 1682
    >
    > It goes on to say if I agree send the $1682, if I don't agree with the
    > Department's determination, return the unsigned EDA-94 form with an
    > explanation and documentation to support the legal basis for you
    > disagreement.
    >
    > The kicker is that it says if I don't respond in 30 days it will result in
    > an assessment of taxes penalty and interest. I guess the $400 in
    > penalties and interest already isn't enough.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I am going to have to talk to a tax attorney, I was hoping
    > that someone on the newsgroup would say "all you need to do is fill out
    > form xyz and everything will be fine". Very wishful thinking.
    >
    > I'm going to have to find this 86 Illinois Administrative Code and
    > hopefully find something that might save me some cash.
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    >> He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter where
    >> it
    >> was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find out
    >> for
    >> sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)
    >>
    >> <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    >>> Interesting... Also, could be very true. but, then again, if he bought
    >>> it
    >>> overseas not in Illinois, why state sales tax? My sentiments exactly
    >>> about
    >>> finding out about the statutes.
    >>>
    >>> Adi
    >>> www.txpinball.com

    It might help to prove to them the machine was originally built in
    Illinois. A copy of the flyer usually suffices.

    bogart
    www.pinrestore.com

    Doug O'Brien wrote:
    > Thanks for all of the responses. Here is what the letter says -
    >
    > It has been determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue that you have
    > purchased/imported tangible personal property from a foreign country. The
    > details of the transaction(s) as declared by you or your agent/broker is in
    > the attached schedule.
    >
    > Pursuant to provisions of 86 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1,
    > Section 150.101, the Department is proposing the following tax liability:
    >
    > Tax Due: 1277
    > Late filing Penalty: 48
    > Interest Due on Tax: 357
    > Total Due: 1682
    >
    > It goes on to say if I agree send the $1682, if I don't agree with the
    > Department's determination, return the unsigned EDA-94 form with an
    > explanation and documentation to support the legal basis for you
    > disagreement.
    >
    > The kicker is that it says if I don't respond in 30 days it will result in
    > an assessment of taxes penalty and interest. I guess the $400 in penalties
    > and interest already isn't enough.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I am going to have to talk to a tax attorney, I was hoping
    > that someone on the newsgroup would say "all you need to do is fill out form
    > xyz and everything will be fine". Very wishful thinking.
    >
    > I'm going to have to find this 86 Illinois Administrative Code and hopefully
    > find something that might save me some cash.
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter where
    >>it
    >>was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find out
    >>for
    >>sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)
    >>
    >><adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Interesting... Also, could be very true. but, then again, if he bought it
    >>>overseas not in Illinois, why state sales tax? My sentiments exactly
    >>>about
    >>>finding out about the statutes.
    >>>
    >>>Adi
    >>>www.txpinball.com

    >Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    >get out of paying the state?

    Everyone else covered why you're stuck with it, as this falls under the
    use tax category. Generally ignored on small items, but I can see them
    taking interest in $1700 worth of owed taxes.

    Personally, though I don't like paying it, it makes perfect sense.
    Otherwise you'd never be able to compete with businesses that set up on
    state lines and avoided all the taxes that their competitors on the
    other side of the line have to deal with.

    My take is that they just don't know this "imported" stuff was originally
    made in the U.S.- just brought back into the U.S. after being exported. So
    shouldn't be subject to import tax.

    I bought a pin from Canada and brought it [back] into the U.S. and didn't
    have to pay any taxes- federal or state.

    I don't think this has anything to do with "state sales tax" at all- sounds
    like import tax.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all of the responses. Here is what the letter says -
    >
    > It has been determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue that you have
    > purchased/imported tangible personal property from a foreign country. The
    > details of the transaction(s) as declared by you or your agent/broker is
    in
    > the attached schedule.
    >
    > Pursuant to provisions of 86 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1,
    > Section 150.101, the Department is proposing the following tax liability:
    >
    > Tax Due: 1277
    > Late filing Penalty: 48
    > Interest Due on Tax: 357
    > Total Due: 1682
    >
    > It goes on to say if I agree send the $1682, if I don't agree with the
    > Department's determination, return the unsigned EDA-94 form with an
    > explanation and documentation to support the legal basis for you
    > disagreement.
    >
    > The kicker is that it says if I don't respond in 30 days it will result in
    > an assessment of taxes penalty and interest. I guess the $400 in
    penalties
    > and interest already isn't enough.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I am going to have to talk to a tax attorney, I was hoping
    > that someone on the newsgroup would say "all you need to do is fill out
    form
    > xyz and everything will be fine". Very wishful thinking.
    >
    > I'm going to have to find this 86 Illinois Administrative Code and
    hopefully
    > find something that might save me some cash.
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > > He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter where
    > > it
    > > was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find out
    > > for
    > > sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)
    > >
    > > <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    > >> Interesting... Also, could be very true. but, then again, if he bought
    it
    > >> overseas not in Illinois, why state sales tax? My sentiments exactly
    > >> about
    > >> finding out about the statutes.
    > >>
    > >> Adi
    > >> www.txpinball.com

    like i said read the law.

    http://www.revenue.state.il.us/legalinformation/regs/part150/150-101.pdf

    this is a "use tax" (what ever the hell that is) not a sales tax.

    this sec. has some exemptions. take a look at it and see if it applies
    to you.

    john

    read the law not this bs sum of it.

    there is a clear requirement that you have to buy it from a "retailer".

    you need to figure out what a retailer is defined as under this law.
    and then see it the person you got it from meets the def.

    john

    Built in Illinois would have nothing to do with Illinois sales tax. Big
    difference between duties and sales tax. LTG :)

    > It might help to prove to them the machine was originally built in
    > Illinois. A copy of the flyer usually suffices.
    >
    > bogart
    > www.pinrestore.com

    he may be a retailer but is he a "retailer"?

    it doesn't matter what you and i think a retailer is this is a "defined
    term" and the def in the subject law is all that matters.

    i.e. i drive my 1500 pickup for work so you could call it a commercial
    motor vehicle. however, under the law a cmv is not any vehicle being
    used commercially but defined as a vehicle with a gvwr over 10,000 lbs
    and in some cases a cmv is redefined as a vehicle with a gvwr of 26,000
    lbs.

    you really need to look and see what they are calling a "retailer"
    before you make up your mind on this.

    john

    After reading this link I think I'm going to be paying. I guess I will work
    on trying to get the interest and late fee waived.

    Thanks for the help

    "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Use tax is a sneaky trick that states use to capture sales tax on
    > out-of-state purchases. Mostly, states don't enforce it, which is why
    > we are looking at these initiatives to collect sales tax on
    > out-of-state sales. In this case, it looks like your broker reported
    > the transaction. I don't think that Customs cares about state sales
    > tax.
    >
    > You should talk to a tax attorney, but I wouldn't expect good news.
    > Best you can hope for is a waiver on the penalties.
    >
    > http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/usetax.htm

    The Illinois Department of Revenue would have nothing to do with any type of
    import taxes. It is most likely a sales/use tax issue.

    I'd be asking for the detail of how they arrived at the figure of $1,277.
    It's likely some value of the pins that they determined (maybe stated value
    on the import docs?) times the local sales tax rate. There may be some room
    to argue a lower value of the pins and a lower tax liablility.

    Herb Schanke

    "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
    > My take is that they just don't know this "imported" stuff was originally
    > made in the U.S.- just brought back into the U.S. after being exported.
    So
    > shouldn't be subject to import tax.
    >
    > I bought a pin from Canada and brought it [back] into the U.S. and didn't
    > have to pay any taxes- federal or state.
    >
    > I don't think this has anything to do with "state sales tax" at all-
    sounds
    > like import tax.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for all of the responses. Here is what the letter says -
    > >
    > > It has been determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue that you
    have
    > > purchased/imported tangible personal property from a foreign country.
    The
    > > details of the transaction(s) as declared by you or your agent/broker is
    > in
    > > the attached schedule.
    > >
    > > Pursuant to provisions of 86 Illinois Administrative Code, Chapter 1,
    > > Section 150.101, the Department is proposing the following tax
    liability:

    > > Tax Due: 1277
    > > Late filing Penalty: 48
    > > Interest Due on Tax: 357
    > > Total Due: 1682
    > >
    > > It goes on to say if I agree send the $1682, if I don't agree with the
    > > Department's determination, return the unsigned EDA-94 form with an
    > > explanation and documentation to support the legal basis for you
    > > disagreement.
    > >
    > > The kicker is that it says if I don't respond in 30 days it will result
    in
    > > an assessment of taxes penalty and interest. I guess the $400 in
    > penalties
    > > and interest already isn't enough.
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure I am going to have to talk to a tax attorney, I was
    hoping
    > > that someone on the newsgroup would say "all you need to do is fill out
    > form
    > > xyz and everything will be fine". Very wishful thinking.
    > >
    > > I'm going to have to find this 86 Illinois Administrative Code and
    > hopefully
    > > find something that might save me some cash.
    > >
    > > Doug
    > >
    > > "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > > > He received it in Illinois. He resides in Illinois. Doesn't matter
    where
    > > > it
    > > > was bought. I'm sure it's coming under sales and use tax. Best find
    out
    > > > for
    > > > sure just in case Illinois is making a mistake. LTG :)
    > > >
    > > > <adi@txpinball.com> wrote in message
    > it

    Check last year's tax return that you filed with the state.
    I believe there is a section on the return that relates to
    paying taxes on purchases made out of state.

    "Doug O'Brien" <dobrien@isdinc.com> wrote in message
    > I reimported several machines from Germany back in 2002. Yesterday I
    > received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue stating that I
    owe
    > them sales tax on the machines. On top of that I owe them late fees and
    > interest.
    >
    > I didn't pay any duty fees when I picked them up and Customs classified
    them
    > as pinball machines and I let them know that they were for personal use
    > only.
    >
    > I was always thought that there wasn't a state sales tax for reimports.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are any forms or anything I can do (legally) to
    > get out of paying the state?
    >
    > Please help as the bill is for $1700. I could add another game to the
    > collection for that amount of cash.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    Thanks for this link. I did read it and I did buy from a retailer in
    Germany. All the business sells is used gaming equipment.

    I was hoping to read something about used collectible items being exempt.

    Doug

    "kansas city pinball.com" <rgp@johncglennon.com> wrote in message
    > read the law not this bs sum of it.
    >
    > there is a clear requirement that you have to buy it from a "retailer".
    >
    > you need to figure out what a retailer is defined as under this law.
    > and then see it the person you got it from meets the def.
    >
    > john

    Maybe you can find that here:

    http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/index/divisions.html#admin_code

    In article <Co4Me.1297$r54.124@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    flippy <flippy@noisp.net> wrote:
    >Check last year's tax return that you filed with the state.
    >I believe there is a section on the return that relates to
    >paying taxes on purchases made out of state.

    Based on what I remember about Illinois taxes, there sure is. I remember
    required to pay that tax on stuff I brought back from overseas when I
    lived in Illinois. Like other states, they have a budget crunch, so
    they're looking to collect what they can to make up the shortfall.

    North Carolina handles this tax a little differently - if you have made
    of out-of-state/country purchases of items for use in NC but don't have
    itemized receipts, you can pay a flat fee based on your income.

    Of course, state income tax in NC is 7% and up...last I recall Illinois
    was more like 3%. :)

    Orin

    --
    Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com