gamer282

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hey people,

I have a Samsung B2330H Monitor that i'm using with my PS3 and PC. Now I've always noticed how badly PS3 games look due to the amount of aliasing on the screen when playing a game. Interestingly I came across "AV" mode when you select HDMI source. What essentially happens is that the sharpness is set to about 100% up from normal "PC" mode where it's 60%. Everything looks all nice and sharp but always makes the game look like alias heaven. Switching it off produces much better smoother look. My question is by switching "AV" mode off, do I lose out on certain detail or colors in with HDMI? Or is "AV" mode just a gimmick that makes everything sharper?

Thanks!

Solution
anti-aliasing takes away the jagged edges. most likely the game already incorporates some sort of AA. when you are in a mode that "sets sharpen to 100% of normal" you are essentially getting rid of any AA benefit you might have had. in general if you must use it very sparingly as any benefit you might see will be countered by many issues.

in short: use your stock display modes.

hdmi is only a type of port and cable. it has no direct effect on data you stream through it.

your AV mode is post-processing done by your monitor. text might appear sharper but everything else will be hampered.
anti-aliasing takes away the jagged edges. most likely the game already incorporates some sort of AA. when you are in a mode that "sets sharpen to 100% of normal" you are essentially getting rid of any AA benefit you might have had. in general if you must use it very sparingly as any benefit you might see will be countered by many issues.

in short: use your stock display modes.

hdmi is only a type of port and cable. it has no direct effect on data you stream through it.

your AV mode is post-processing done by your monitor. text might appear sharper but everything else will be hampered.

Solution

gamer282

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Yeah pretty much what I thought. AV mode just seems to exaggerate sharpness levels to a point where everything looks off. Could work nicely with movies, though iv'e not tested it.

i've played around with the sharpness settings on my television before. if you sharpen by 10% or less then sometimes the results do look decent for things such as video games and text, however even at a minimal level you still get little jaggies and inperfections where none existed before.

i'll say it again: i would suggest sticking with normal display modes.

gamer282

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

Well you see, normal display with HDMI, enables AV mode by default. I'm always for default settings, but this AV mode does more harm with gaming than good. Of course theres aliasing in games, even when playing a PC game at 1920 X 1080. Thing is that AV mode makes artificial aliasing, basically you shouldn't normally see it, and the visible aliasing much more harsh.