Black Hole Sound EPROMS?

karl

Hi Group,

On my new Black Hole the sound board is a bit odd, it will make a few
sounds over and over, random speech now and then, and no game sounds
while playing other than random. Using Clay's guides (TOP) I have found
this so far...

-Voltage/ground testes are OK.

-Self test says "fail, fail, fail, fail, etc..."

-Grounding the sound inputs does nothing in any (test) mode.

-I have replaced U16 7404 with socket, no change.

-I have replaced U15 RIOT already socketed, no change.

-I have even replaced U3 6502 already socketed, no change.

Are the Game PROMS U5 and U6 readily available? It seems like they are
the next thing to try, yes?

I have NOT yet;

-Got out the logic probe, so far just swaping parts I have in stock and
checking the basics.

I have a very difficult time with the logic testing because I often
see, test here, should be hi and it does not always say what next if it
is not???? So confusing to me :(

Thanks all.

Have fun, Karl.
honda ruehs at cox dot net

Yes, the EPROMs can be had from a variety of common pinball-stuff
sources. They're available, and 'everyone' has the images, so it
should be quite affordable to buy a couple new ones burned with the
proper data.. I'd guess $6-8 each, or so...

df

karl

> Have fun, Karl.
>
> Oh, and yes, I will keep the group posted as usual.

Update, I swaped driver boards with Spiderman and now Black Hole Sounds
are working very well! (Spderman sounds are now screwy so I'll look at
that board later when I'm bored)

Have fun, Karl.

Try re-seating the sound ROMs U5 and U6....

On 14 Aug 2005 16:54:15 -0700, "Karl" <hondaruehs@aol.com> wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>On my new Black Hole the sound board is a bit odd, it will make a few
>sounds over and over, random speech now and then, and no game sounds
>while playing other than random. Using Clay's guides (TOP) I have found
>this so far...
>
>-Voltage/ground testes are OK.
>
>-Self test says "fail, fail, fail, fail, etc..."

I'd say try removing the driver board input and then try the self test again. If
it passes then you know your problem lies with the driver board.

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
Remove NOSPAM to reply

>(Spderman sounds are now screwy so I'll look at that board later when I'm bored)

There is one TTL on the driver board that sounds go through. Replace
that.

Kirb

karl

kirb wrote:
> >(Spderman sounds are now screwy so I'll look at that board later when I'm bored)
>
> There is one TTL on the driver board that sounds go through. Replace
> that.
>
> Kirb

You mean U13 on the driver board? I changed it this morning after
reading your post with a 7404 and Spiderman sound is now fixed too! The
chip was previously socketed and had a "DN74LS08N", now I'm far from an
expert but I think that is the wrong chip.

Thanks very much to all who helped, Thanks Kirb for contributing to
Clay's guides because he said you provided much of the info, Thank you
sir.

Have fun, Karl.

>Thanks very much to all who helped, Thanks Kirb for contributing to
>Clay's guides because he said you provided much of the info, Thank you

Sys 80 sound was started by Clay, expanded by me, and really detailed
by Tony Holdgate. Glad you found it helpful.

Kirb

TRENDING THREADS