A few questions about my DELL DIMENSION XPS T450.......?

I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
1998. The machine still runs and works very well.

People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
never done.

Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
in my system performance?

One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

LEESA (I)

"Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
>I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
> 1998. The machine still runs and works very well.
>
> People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
> never done.
>
> Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
> need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
> in my system performance?
>
> One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
> do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> LEESA (I)

Unless the system is malfunctioning or you are adding some (newer) component
that requires a BIOS flash, then leave it be.

No, you shouldn't expect any performance improvement since your machine is
performing fine as is.

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:
> Unless the system is malfunctioning or you are adding
> some (newer) component that requires a BIOS flash,
> then leave it be.
>
> No, you shouldn't expect any performance improvement
> since your machine is performing fine as is.

Don't the later BIOSs (along with operating system updates)
allow using the larger hard drives? That could be a desirable
new component that might require a BIOS "flash" if one didn't
want to use an add-on PCI controller card for the new larger
hard drives.

*TimDaniels*

Leesa Taylor wrote:
> I have an older machine... a DELL DIMENSION XPS T450 that I bought in
> 1998. The machine still runs and works very well.
>
> People tell me that I should update my BIOS files, something I have
> never done.

If everything runs well, leave it alone. If you have a problem that leads
you to reinstalling everything, with a reformat of the drive, you may want
to consider the BIOS update then.

> Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
> need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
> in my system performance?
>
> One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
> do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

You would go to dell.com and search for the latest BIOS, download that to a
bootable floppy and start the system from it.

It might be a good idea to get the update and create a floppy that you might
use in the future.

Ed

On 9 Jun 2004 19:25:53 -0700, Leesa Taylor wrote:

> Here are my questions. If everything is working fine... do you really
> need to update the BIOS? And... If I do.... will I see an improvement
> in my system performance?

I had to update my T450 to add a larger (80GB) drive. I can't remember
exactly but I think the update was also recommended since I was upgrading
the OS to Windows 2000.

> One last question. I am not very computer savvy, so IF I do need to
> do this... can someone tell me the easiest/best way to do this?

Download the update, run the program, follow the prompts (it'll help you
create a bootable disk if I recall correctly).

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

--

-Jeff B.