Cost/performance should be a standard benchmark

ready29003

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Really Tom, you should make cost/performance ratio a standard benchmark for your CPU studies. It doesn't matter that costs change daily, just make the cost/performance ratio accurate as of the date of publication.

If you were really clever, you would construct a database that updated its prices automatically for CPU's and produced a graph showing the best cost performance ratio of CPU's with real time data.

Why make your readers have to try and look up prices to see where the best bang for their buck is? You are telling us what CPU's perform..but what we really want to know is cost/performance ratio!

Moreover, you will be able to clearly illustrate AMD's dominance in this essential benchmark...and maybe even pressure intel to lower prices.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Sounds like a good idea. Now just get everyone to agree on how you measure that "performance" thing and you're good to go..... :smile:

ready29003

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Only ultra techies really compare things to that degree of precision. The real differentiation here will be due to the cost, not the little variation in performance between the different benchmarks.

The most powerful activism is to promote free speech. www.wisdomproject.com. The Open Source Think Tank

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I actually plan to build this in PHP/MySQL on my personal web site, I don't have any specific release date, because I work on it in my spare time.

I will gather reviews date and grab the price from pricewatch (or something like that) and will make charts based on near real-time data.

I want to do this to learn more of PHP, MySQL and REGEX. My primary job, is in telecomm, I program for myself and for free!

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Agree with that.

Automatic update would be great, and even it won't be perfect, will give a good general idea of where is competitive and recomendable.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown: