good gaming computer??

Gaijin_Online

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
Hi,
I'm planning to get a new computer ONLY for gaming this and I was wondering if you could give me your advice on the computer I'll be building here is the list:

Mother board: MSI 6702 FIR chipset: VIA K8T....134.99$
CPU: AMD Athlon XP64 3400+ ...................549.99$
Case: ThermalTake Xaser IIIV2000A Super Tower..239.99$
RAM: 2 512MB 400MhzDDR Kingston................275.98$
Graphic card: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128 DDR.......379.99$
Audio card: Soundblaster AUDIGY 2 ZS RT........125.99$
Screen: I dunno yet
HHD: Maxtor 200GiG dmax9+ S-ATA................219.99$
Optical Drives:- DVD burner LG 8x..............124.99$
- DVD-Rom LG 16x.................44.99$
Speakers: Altec Lansing ADA745.................119.99$
Power Supply: ThermalTake Xaser Silent 480W.....97.99$

Sub-Total:............................................2314.89$
Taxes:.............................................347.23$
TOTAL:............................................2662.12$

All price are in Canadian $$ so it's around : 2033$ in US $

So what do you think does it sound good??
Is there a posibility of conflict between the hardware??
maybe the motherboard and the case size ??

thanks in advance

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Personly I would drop down to a AMD64 3000+ but yeah its sounds like a computer that I deffently want if I was a gamer (wait a min I am a gamer) So yah I think you will be quite happy

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

Badger86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
nvidia is just releasing its new chipset, nforce3 250gb... which is chock full of features and should be looked at over VIA... but you will have to wait a couple of weeks for those mobos to come out. I have a viewsonic p95f+, its quite a good 19" monitor and only $350 CDN.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
True true it might be a good idea to wait if you can but if you really want it now because games are super crappy and you aren't a OCer I would say that this set up will make you very very happy. I belive in the buy now idea unless something really really big is around the couner and true be told even PCI express isn't going to change much and yeah the Nforce is coming out soon but really it doesn't give a proformance boost. Unless there is a specifice opion you really really want form the new Nforce coming out don't worry about it. the VIA motherboard is just as good how ever many do not trust VIA for some good reasons but if you take a look at any Intel vs AMD post here you will be able to make that choice on your own if you want a VIA or Nivida board. Personly though I don't care because there really isn't any diffrance between the two boards for me personly. The same may or may not be true for you but only you can make that dission just look around the forum a bit and you will see both sides to the Motherboard wars :).

Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung 955DF or similar good choice too. You'll like MSI's CoreCell features too! You can get a Sapphire 9800Pro from NewEgg for $211.00 US. It has the 360core(XT) instead of the 350 core (Pro).

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yeah if I was buying a complete system today thats somthing like what I'd get. I personaly i'd never spend more than a couple hundred bucks or so on a cpu though.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Gaijin_Online

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
Well I'm prolly gonna buy it in August so I'll have the time to make my mind on the motherboard .... what's the big difference between a VIA and a Nvidia....?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
via has a bad rap (well deserverd) from a few years ago. probably won't be any difference between the two but if both where available today i'd get the nforce3. so if buying in august wait for the reviews cause one never knows nforce3 just might suck.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
To tell the trueth I really don't know. I guess the Nforce is going to have some better OC options or something like that. The main thing you will see is that VIA isn't trusted at all by AMD users. In the Past VIA has made some horrible motherboards compared to the Nvidia counterpart and they have been known to make unstable motherboards. However I don't think this is true for the AMD64. VIA is as of TODAY the best option for the AMD64 but once the new Nforce is out I would probly say that it would be the best option but truely I don't think there will be much diffrance between the two expet maby PCI express? (could be wrong on the PCI express) Also if you are going to wait a while then I would go for a 939s because that is going to be a board that is going to stick around. Also consider a the new XPs that are going to come out for the 939s. They are AMD64's with out the 64bitness. And might be cheaper. but this is all speculation until this stuff comes out. Personly if I where you I would wait until about 1 to 2 weeks before the perchuse and ask this question once again because things are looking to change in the next few weeks/months.

MrPanther0

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I cant beleive you guys... no offense but how can you tell him to buy a radeon 9800 pro when he has that kind of money..IN AUGUST.. the NV40 and or/the ATI420 will have been out for a good while and will be matured somewhat... so MUCH better cards with a possible good OCing possibility... yes and i recomend a 3200+... just get some good pc 3500 ram and oc it a little... there is like a 200$ diff between the 3200 and 3400..., now if he were buying it now... i would still recomend something like a second hand 9700 pro, or 5900 xt because we all know that atleast ONE of the graphics card companies will hit the bullseye with the next gen.. ah the possibilities..

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yeah good point if I was building in august and gaming was important to me I'd get one of the up comming cards. But I think 9800pro is the best value for a gammer today. you can get them cheap at newegg I think.

endyen

Splendid
The new cards may be lots better, but at twice the price. Then again they may be only a little better, but twice the price. Anybody who grabs a Radeon 9800pro for $200us/ $300can is a genius.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
He isn't buying right now anyway so the card is out the window he just jumped the question to soon. He needs to come back with this question once he is close to the buy by a week to two no more then that. Things are changing my son ::))

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
There is not much point on us giving comments on that rig if you're gonna buy in august. post again in august, and let's see what available and worthwile then. If I'd order today, I'd get something along those lines though, although with a cheaper CPU. Buying leading edge rarely pays off, so I'd get a 3200+ instead. By august the 3700+ should be here, so the 3400+ might be worthwile. not much point in speculating about that today, who knows, maybe prescott on s775 will be the thing to get

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =