Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooling problem

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2004 2:43:57 AM

I have a P4C 3.0ghz that is not overclocked, operating @ 3007mhz. I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000A-All copper and for some reason when I look at my idle temps AsusProbe says it is @ 36C. Now I have a Thermaltake Xaser III case and the front temp monitor will fluxuate from 30-37 at idle. Prime95 torture tests get the cpu cooking up to 50C max at full load in asus probe. My temperature monitor reads about 60C. I'm unsure of why I'm getting conflicting temperature readings, because sometimes the asus probe temp is higher, and sometimes the temp monitor is higher, and sometimes they are the same.

I have 2 80mm fans placed in from of my mb and cpu. The top fan is placed directly in front of the heatsink. The air blows TOWARDS the heatsink. I also have 2 80mm fans behind the case that suck air out.

My question is, do you think I would get cooler and more consistent temperature readings if i turned my side fans around so it SUCKED air away from my new heatsink? Or is it wiser to just keep it as is and have it blowing on the heatsink?

P4C 3.0ghz
Asus P4C800E-D
GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB
2x512 MB corsair dual channel pc3200
200GB WDJB HDD
Nothing OC'd

More about : cpu cooling problem

April 8, 2004 4:03:27 AM

Blowing on for sure. Front and lower fans are for intake. If you balance the CFMs of intake and exhaust fans, you will be as well off as you can get. The high end chips just put out a lot of heat, as do the vregs and chipsets.
April 8, 2004 11:06:04 AM

reverse the fan. Use intake ("sucking") at the front of your case, and use PSU and rear fan to remove the heat. As it is now, it seems like you are just creating turbulence, but no airflow. As a result, I suspect your case temps will be rather high.

Also, while doing this will likely reduce your temps, don't worry too much about them, they are fine as it is. You'd expect lower (and you will improve reversing the fan), but even now you are not even close to dangerous temps. Difference between socket sensor and ondie is also pretty much a given and nothing to worry about.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 8, 2004 2:39:14 PM

the side fan over the heat sink should defenitly blow into the case. this allows the cpu fan to blow cool outside air onto the heatsink instead of recycling cool air. intel's spec on case's actually has a duct the goes from the side of the gase to the hs/f so it will pull air from the outside.
April 8, 2004 9:50:20 PM

Ok, I think I solved the problem. Right now my CPU is running @ 32C and my motherboard is @ 26C. My problem was that I did not notice that one of my front 80mm fans died. I replaced it and cleared the way by tucking away all the wires from the PSU and bending the IDE ribbon cables so that the airflow from front to back is as unobstructed as possible.

I am going to soon test full load results to see just how well this Zalman heatsink performs. I also am keeping my side fans blowing into my case, onto my heatsink and video card. I'll post the results when I'm done testing.

*update* Ok after about 20 minutes of torture testing, max load temps seem to reach 45C. Much better than before. I'd recommend this heatsink. I'm going to OC a little and see what temps i get.

P4C 3.0ghz
Asus P4C800E-D
GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB
2x512 MB corsair dual channel pc3200
200GB WDJB HDD
Nothing OC'd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oolceeoo on 04/08/04 06:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 11, 2004 12:41:21 AM

I agree 100%.
The Zalman 7000 series is awesome.
Although it's strength is supposed to be balance between noise/cooling, I find it to be the best I've tried. And I've tried quite a few.
April 16, 2004 7:05:30 AM

I am in Aust, can anyone tell me where I can get the zelman HSF? is it the best for a very hot and probelmsome P4 Prescott 3.0Ghz?
!