How to remove items from the system tray

My neighbour has way too much stuff in his systray
(quicktime/jukeboxes etc.) all stuff he never uses.

How can these unwanted programs be removed ?

Thanks in advance
Pete
5 answers Last reply
More about remove items system tray

    There are a number of ways. One thing to keep in mind is the
    difference between disabling the Startup or Watchdog and just
    inhibiting it's SysTray icon. Most Startups/Watchdogs have a
    configuration setting, by Right Clicking an icon a context menu
    will appear. Most have a Settings or configuration option. If
    you simply "Hide" them, the actual service will likely still be
    running and consuming resources. XP has a configuration tool
    called MSConfig.Exe. There is a Startup (TAB) where you can
    see the listing of Startups. These can be triggered from a Startup
    program group, Registry or other methods. Not all are necessary,
    things like Real Audio, QuickTime and others are just watchdogs
    that are waiting around to be used. Others are likely Security type
    apps (AntiVirus, Firewall) and shouldn't be inhibited from running.
    Using MSConfig you can determine what application they belong
    to by the path, such as C:\Program Files\....You just uncheck an
    item and reboot your PC. At startup MSConfig will present you
    with a "Nag" screen that normal startups have been modified.

    "Pete" <speedy99ukREMOVETHIS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My neighbour has way too much stuff in his systray
    > (quicktime/jukeboxes etc.) all stuff he never uses.
    >
    > How can these unwanted programs be removed ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Pete

    Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'msconfig' click OK and select the Startup tab.

    Note: Disabling the startup elements will not uninstall them, but preventing them to load when Windows starts up.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    Pete wrote:

    > My neighbour has way too much stuff in his systray
    > (quicktime/jukeboxes etc.) all stuff he never uses.
    >
    > How can these unwanted programs be removed ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Pete

    First step should be to check in the options for the program you don't
    want to start and see if there is a setting to tell it not to run at
    startup. The next step is to remove any entries you don't want from the
    two startup folders:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    For anything else uncheck their entries in the startup tab of msconfig:
    Start | Run | Msconfig | Ok

    Another option is to remove the reference to them from one of these keys
    in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Make sure you have a backup of the registry using a program like ERUNT
    before making any changes to the registry.

    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    [Installing & Using ERUNT]
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
    http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

    [ERUNT] - Direct download
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Pete wrote:

    > My neighbour has way too much stuff in his systray
    > (quicktime/jukeboxes etc.) all stuff he never uses.
    > How can these unwanted programs be removed ?

    Best way is to run the application that is putting the icon in the tray,
    and locating the "setup" or "config" item in it's menu and telling the
    app NOT to load when windows starts up.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:13:24 +0100, Pete
    <speedy99ukREMOVETHIS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >My neighbour has way too much stuff in his systray
    >(quicktime/jukeboxes etc.) all stuff he never uses.
    >
    >How can these unwanted programs be removed ?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Pete

    Many thanks for your help

    Pete