Why wont my Epson Artisan 50 printer print I replaced the black cartridge that w

bhaley

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Why won't my Epson Artisan 50 printer print. I replaced the black ink cartridge but did not replace the other color cartridges that were empty because I do not use the other colors. I don't understand why it will not print a black and white document. The black cartridge is full.

It keeps telling me to replace the empty other cartridges which I do not want to do because I do not want to print any colored documents.

Do I have to replace all cartridges that are empty in order for the printer to print only in black?

Solution
G
Porsche Bob, you write stupid stuff.

OP, you need to replace all cartridges because their ink levels are low. During any printhead cleaning cycles, printer will pump all inks from all cartridges. If some cartridge has no ink, it will pump air, which will lead to dryout(clogging) or burnout(non-epson printers). This is why any inkjet printer will require you to have non-empty cartriges,regardless of brand or what you are going to print, or will cease operation for own safety.

printerman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
if you watch an epson printing, you will see how cheap you are.
a layer of colour is printed, before black comes in.
replace all colours, then your printer will be happy.
check your software, for a setting for draft or cheap mode. uses less ink, for internals.

Porsche Bob

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Congratulations. You've officially joined the ranks of the endlessly screwed customers of Epson! Despite losing a class action suit in 2006 because of designing cartridges with chip sensors that indicated through "estimating" that the ink was gone while 30-40% of it still remained, Epson chose to incorporate the same capital sucking scam into their Artisan line. Like the old printers, the cartridges indicate they are dry long before the ink is anywhere close to being gone. But now their entire line of printers fail to function if even a single cartridge needs replaced. Rude people will call you "cheap" (probably a low-life Epson rep) and tell you that the color cartridges are needed to print black, but that is only partially true. Run out of yellow sometime and ask them to explain how THAT prevents you from printing true black. Bottom line, the printer will not work or print black only even if the empty cartridge is color.

Solution? Besides the obvious, I suggest you search on line for the new type chip resetters (make sure you get one that resets the old seven as well as the new nine pin cartridges) and learn how to refill Epson cartridges. Or, it you do a lot of printing with the Artisan 50, you might look into buying one of the CIS (Continuous Ink System) tank devices that you can modify into the printer. That renders the need to constantly buy the unbelievably overpriced OEM cartridges or reset the non-OEM ones or the refills moot as you can just top off the ink tanks when they get a little low. Chip resetters range from $8-$25 plus shipping and are powered either by button batteries or through a USB connection to the computer. Tank systems start at $40 and go upwards of $85 plus shipping. Bear in mind, like everything else including the printer itself, you only get what you pay for. And buying an Artisan 50 will insure you have paid more for the OEM ink replacements by the second cycle through than you did for their $120 printer.

G

Porsche Bob, you write stupid stuff.

OP, you need to replace all cartridges because their ink levels are low. During any printhead cleaning cycles, printer will pump all inks from all cartridges. If some cartridge has no ink, it will pump air, which will lead to dryout(clogging) or burnout(non-epson printers). This is why any inkjet printer will require you to have non-empty cartriges,regardless of brand or what you are going to print, or will cease operation for own safety.

Solution

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Anonymous is right!
but, I think this tutorial might come in handy for some people that land here after searching Epson and ink.

[faq]After Market Inkjet Ink Supplies
I often see people asking about cheaper alternatives to buying OEM ink supplies and just as often they get incorrect responses, So hopefully I can clear a few thing up here. THE INKJET PRINTER MANUFACTURERS The makers of inkjet printers are... See full content[/faq]

TRENDING THREADS