On rebooting I reveived a blue screen error about a corrupt driver. I
was instructed to 'run driver verifier' and enable 'special pool.'
Easy question. What are these things and how do I do it?
BONUS: FWIW, the reboot was due to partitioning and attempting to
reformat a USB external drive. I realize this does not mean the
partitiion attempt (PartitionMagic 8) was the cause but it was my last
attempted change on the PC.

Here's how to run driver verifier: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q244617/

We'll need more information about the blue screen (such as the STOP error
message and the particular driver file that was referred to) in order to
troubleshoot it accurately.

Although the PM tasks may not be the cause of this - the appearance of the
BSOD immediately afteward doesn't sound too good. Hopefully it didn't hose
your operating system.

Other things to try are running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run prompt - and
if that doesn't work, consider doing a repair installation (instructions
here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 )

- John