Lenovo R61 - need some cpu upgrade advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounc3

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I've got a Lenovo R61 with a T7100 1.8 ghz duo processor, can someone tell me what the fastest CPU I can upgrade to comfortably?

Out of my element here, so if not specific new cpu advice, then:

1. Since I have a duo core can I upgrade to anything in the duo core line?

2. Do the bus speeds have to be the same?

3. where do I go looking for what's compatible?

Thanks!

I don't think that you'll see much of a performance gain by going with another CPU, i.e. even to say, a T9900. Plus, it can be tedious to replace a laptop CPU. What I mean by that is even if you were to get another CPU with the same socket, the TDP (power requirements) might be different and the mobo may not have enough juice to run it. Furthermore, with a better chip comes more heat that the current heat sink may not be able to handle. If I were you, I'd save up for a new laptop, as you'll be saving yourself quite a bit of trouble.

If you really need cpu power, then you are better off with a desktop.

But if your laptop is sluggish, I have two suggestions:

1) Try to remove all the bloatware that has been preloaded which you don't need. Consider a clean install of the OS and just add the components you want.

2) If your hard drive capacity needs are modest, consider changing the hard drive to a SSD. I have done this and the results are amazing. A clean install of Windows-7 will take about 15gb. A 40gb Intel X25-V is really all I need.

I upgraded my Lenovo R61 Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 CPU to a T9500 CPU. Increased my CPU performance from 2.1 gHz to 2.6 gHz and L2 Cache from 3MB to 6MB. A very noticeable increase in performance!. In fact, the temps for the upgraded Intel T9500 CPU never exceed 125 Degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius, mostly hovering around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Credit that with applying new Arctic Silver Thermal Paste on the replacement t9500 CPU and Intel 965 Integrated Graphics Chip. Apply only a "B.B" shot size of paste and thinly spread it over the face of the CPU and graphics chip. The old paste was dried up and caked so I removed it completely. I blew out the dust from the cooling fan and air radiator assembly also.

This took about 30 minutes start to finish. CPU replacement is easily accessible by removing Palm Rest, Keyboard, Speaker Bezel, and CPU-Graphics Chip Fastening screws in that order. No splitting open of the case is needed. Download .pdf file from Google on Lenovo R61 Hardware Repair Guide. Used my Samsung Galaxy Tablet for visual depictions of the process.

The maximum CPU that can be used on the Lenovo R61 is the Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU with an 800 mHz Front Side Bus. The T9550 and above speed CPU's have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus and are not compatible. The P Series CPU's are also not compatible if they have a 1066 mHz Front Side Bus. Only 800 mHz Front Side Bus Specification is compatible.

The GPU is not upgradable because only integrated graphics are built in.

eBay is a good source for an Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 Mobile CPU. A certified working CPU from a reputable eBay seller can be picked up for around $70 - $85. My purchased used one looked new and worked flawlessly.

I also installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD Drive and 4GB (2GB X 2) (The max allowed) PC 6400 DDR2 RAM.
The Lenovo R61 has blistering speed from its original specs and much cooler in temps! 5 Sec Boot-Up and Shutdown - for REAL.

That should cover it. Contact me at dfairad8u2@yahoo.com for any questions you might have.

Mark Pellowski

Status
Not open for further replies.