EDB:SDRAM ratio

oolceeoo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
In overclocking a little by increasing the external data bus frequency from 200mhz to 240mhz, I could achieve an internal clock frequency of 3600mhz with a 15x multiplier without increasing the core voltage. Now, I understand that many of you prefer that the ratio between the external data bus frequency and the SDRAM frequency be 1:1. Since my corsair ram probably cannot operate at 240mhz, my DRAM frequency was scaled down to 160mhz from 200mhz. This produced a 3:2 ratio.

My first question is this: Which gives better overall performance and why? A higher cpu internal clock frequency with a lower DRAM frequency(3:2)? Or a lower cpu internal clock with equal DRAM frequency(1:1)?

My second question is with a higher frequency, my cpu temperatures did not appear to change that much. Is it true that only increasing the core voltage will be the factor that will raise my overall cpu temperature, besides case and motherboard temperature?

P4C 3.0ghz
Asus P4C800E-D
GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB
2x512 MB corsair dual channel pc3200
200GB WDJB HDD
Nothing OC'd

endyen

Splendid
You should be taking a perf hit of about 10%+ with the current ram settings. Not only are you putting the connection between chip and memory out of phase, but you are mem starving the chip. If you have an option for 5:4, use that, it will gain a few %.
It is very unusual for a higher fsb to maintain, not increase temps. If you have great air movement, this would dispell the extra heat generated by the vregs and n bridge. Even still, you will probably see a temp rise in heavy use.