Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good LG IPS monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 17, 2011 9:26:47 PM

http://www.frys.com/product/6554843

I have been looking for a good monitor around $200. The information I have gathered is IPS(the best?) is better than TN and the lower the response time the better. LG is a good brand, this is IPS, 5ms response time, 1080p, and is $20 at my frys so it is $200. This looks to be an amazing deal. The only problem is that I wanted a 23in but it is hard to find one that is approximately $200. Should I buy this for my gaming build?

More about : good ips monitor

a c 78 C Monitor
April 17, 2011 10:11:47 PM

First of all, IPS isn't really specific enough anymore. I think P-IPS is the subtype considered the best. I've gotten the impression that e-IPS (like the LG monitor you linked, according to TFT Central's panel database) is not as good as other VA and IPS panels, since many of them are using temporal dithering to compensate for only using 6 bits per color channel instead of 8, but still better than TN.

As far as response time, it's not as simple as finding the lowest possible. Different transitions usually have different response times, which can sometimes vary strangely, and the manufacturers almost never make it clear what calculations were used to get from a table (or 3d graph, like here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/acer-...) to a single number for the response time. As long as the response times in such a table or 3d graph mostly stay under 16ms, you should be fine.

The price is suspiciously low for an e-IPS panel with W-LED backlight (the latter of which usually increases the price despite reducing the color gamut and often having a blue tinge), and it only has a 1-year warranty. You might be better off with the relead LG IPS226V-PN (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) - it doesn't claim quite as low a response time, but it has a 3-year warranty.
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:13:39 AM

oh, great catch on the 3 year limited warranty on the -egg. I wonder what the difference is between IPS226V and IPS226V-PN?
m
l
Related resources
a c 196 C Monitor
April 18, 2011 2:01:29 AM

All inexpensive monitors that use an IPS panel are basically e-IPS panel. All of them are 6-bit panels that must use temporal dither (sometimes listed as A-FRC) to create 16m colors from only 256k colors. There is one or two e-IPS panels models that are 8-bit panels that can truly create 16.7m colors; but they are pretty rare.

Anywaste, an e-IPS panel monitor is still better than a TN panel monitor. However, you can still get some color banding issues similar to TN panel monitors when you are dealing with fine color gradients.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:00:45 AM

Okay, well can you guys recommend me a cheap P-IPS? I have been searching the, but I cannot seem to find them.
m
l
a c 196 C Monitor
April 18, 2011 3:24:29 AM

AgentSquishy said:
Okay, well can you guys recommend me a cheap P-IPS? I have been searching the, but I cannot seem to find them.

There are none in your budget. You need to more than double your budget if you want to buy a S-IPS, H-IPS or P-IPS monitor. $500 would be a good starting point.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:47:09 AM

ViewSonic has a professional IPS for $289.

Also why do so many people recommend the Dell U2311H when it is just an E-IPS?

And the only difference between the LG IPS is posted and the one on newegg is one has 8ms w/ 2 year warranty and the other has 5ms w/ 1 year warranty, correct?
m
l
a c 196 C Monitor
April 18, 2011 12:09:59 PM

AgentSquishy said:
ViewSonic has a professional IPS for $289.

I'm don't know which monitor you are talking about. All P-IPS panel monitors that I know of at the moment are 24" or larger.

Quote:

Also why do so many people recommend the Dell U2311H when it is just an E-IPS?

Because e-IPS panels were initially thought to be 8-bit panels like all other IPS panels. It was not until mid February this year that LG Display revealed e-IPS panels were all basically 6-bit panels. It still is better than a TN panel though.

Quote:

And the only difference between the LG IPS is posted and the one on newegg is one has 8ms w/ 2 year warranty and the other has 5ms w/ 1 year warranty, correct?

I suppose.
m
l
April 18, 2011 7:35:00 PM

jaguarskx said:

Because e-IPS panels were initially thought to be 8-bit panels like all other IPS panels. It was not until mid February this year that LG Display revealed e-IPS panels were all basically 6-bit panels. It still is better than a TN panel though.

Where is this article from LG about e-IPS being 6-bit. Couldn't see it on a quick google search and I'd be interested to read more. However I did find another message from you here at TomsHardware and you listed the following chart...
[edit: it seems the picture has gone missing since I created this post. However, per TFT Central the IPS226V uses the LM215WF3 panel which is 8-bit ... the U2211H is only 6-bit + A-FRC]

So I'd expect that the 21.5" LG IPS LED panel mentioned above fits in where there's a question mark and therefor is in fact a true 8-bit - making it slightly better for photoshop editing than the U2211H, which is 6-bit?
m
l
a c 78 C Monitor
April 18, 2011 8:04:27 PM

Here's a link to where that image came from: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#colour_...

Actually, TFT Central's panel search database lists the LG IPS226V as using 21.5"WS LG.Display e-IPS (LM215WF3), but there are three revisions thereof that all use W-LED backlights:
LM215WF3-SDA1 is listed with a brightness of 365 cd/m2 and uses 8-bit color
LM215WF3-SLA1 is listed with a brightness of 330 cd/m2 and uses 8-bit color
LM215WF3-SLC1 is listed with a brightness of 250 cd/m2 and uses 6-bit+A-FRC
Considering that the price is lower than the Asus ML229H (listed as using the LM215WF3-SLC1), I'm fairly sure the LG will be using the SLC1 panel as well (with 6-bit+A-FRC), rather than the SDA1 or SLA1.
m
l
April 18, 2011 8:26:58 PM

MauveCloud said:
Here's a link to where that image came from: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#colour_...

Actually, TFT Central's panel search database lists the LG IPS226V as using 21.5"WS LG.Display e-IPS (LM215WF3), but there are three revisions thereof that all use W-LED backlights:
LM215WF3-SDA1 is listed with a brightness of 365 cd/m2 and uses 8-bit color
LM215WF3-SLA1 is listed with a brightness of 330 cd/m2 and uses 8-bit color
LM215WF3-SLC1 is listed with a brightness of 250 cd/m2 and uses 6-bit+A-FRC
Considering that the price is lower than the Asus ML229H (listed as using the LM215WF3-SLC1), I'm fairly sure the LG will be using the SLC1 panel as well (with 6-bit+A-FRC), rather than the SDA1 or SLA1.

What a bust! The brightness is listed as 250 cd/m2 on the product website... so it may be 6-bit + A-FRC. Man, I was SOLD on this monitor and now I'm just back to "a little more favorable" than the U2211H (the IPS226V has HDMI + VGA).
m
l
May 25, 2013 6:22:57 AM

AgentSquishy said:
http://www.frys.com/product/6554843

I have been looking for a good monitor around $200. The information I have gathered is IPS(the best?) is better than TN and the lower the response time the better. LG is a good brand, this is IPS, 5ms response time, 1080p, and is $20 at my frys so it is $200. This looks to be an amazing deal. The only problem is that I wanted a 23in but it is hard to find one that is approximately $200. Should I buy this for my gaming build?

This is a great monitor for gaming! Even though it's IPS, the response time is better than my smasung TN monitor. It has pixel overdrive, which lessens the motion blur in screen movement.

I was looking to get some good IPS monitors for photo editing and some gaming. They are good and there's not really anything bad about them that I can think of except the 27EA63 has a bug where the sharpness setting resets (not an issue if you don't care about changing it). Do recommend them if you've had them in mind.

So i did a quick review/comparison video of the two monitors, check it out if you've been interested in getting them.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSeh8ERSVx4

More info on the monitors:
LG IPS277L-BN - 27-Inch Screen LED Monitor On Amazon

LG 27EA63V 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor On Amazon

Any questions, just ask!
m
l
June 13, 2013 11:54:08 PM

Hey AgentSquishy

Most LG screens like the one uve linked have 5 ms yes, but only in grey2grey it actually has about 14 ms in typical answer overall.
I would say AOC 23" LED I2367FH is a much better choise, as its typical answer is 6 ms overall, and its very cheap. An AH-IPS panel type.
Looks great good colours and all and is a very good screen for gaming aswell.

Regards
ABCnut
m
l
!