dell gx100

Have a bunch of Gx100s that were donated to our school. Had to reformat HD
on one and obviously need to reinstall drivers. Don't have the resource
disk, so I downloaded from your site the proper ethernet controller driver.
It installed, but when I try to get on Internet, I don't get the LAN option
in the setup and it is looking for a modem. Any thoughts

Also getting an unknown device error message at bootup, any suggestions on
what it might be.

The sound card is fine now,, but the video is only 2 or 16 colors. The card
is integrated into the motherboard. Hard to tell what it is.

If I can get the Internet going, I can at least download directly rather
than go to another computer and burn.
3 answers Last reply
More about dell gx100

    You need to download the Intel chipset software and video drivers for an
    Intel i810/815 chipset - either from Dell or Intel.

    The chipset software goes first, then the video.

    Once the chipset drivers are in place, you can install sound and network
    drivers.

    "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Have a bunch of Gx100s that were donated to our school. Had to reformat
    HD
    > on one and obviously need to reinstall drivers. Don't have the resource
    > disk, so I downloaded from your site the proper ethernet controller
    driver.
    > It installed, but when I try to get on Internet, I don't get the LAN
    option
    > in the setup and it is looking for a modem. Any thoughts
    >
    > Also getting an unknown device error message at bootup, any suggestions on
    > what it might be.
    >
    > The sound card is fine now,, but the video is only 2 or 16 colors. The
    card
    > is integrated into the motherboard. Hard to tell what it is.
    >
    > If I can get the Internet going, I can at least download directly rather
    > than go to another computer and burn.

    The order is important, right???

    Actually I downloaded the 810 and the video is okay. Dell told me to
    uninstall the network driver and install again.

    That should solve the order problem.

    I am still trying to figure out what the unknown device is. Any thoughts

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > You need to download the Intel chipset software and video drivers for an
    > Intel i810/815 chipset - either from Dell or Intel.
    >
    > The chipset software goes first, then the video.
    >
    > Once the chipset drivers are in place, you can install sound and network
    > drivers.
    >

    > "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Have a bunch of Gx100s that were donated to our school. Had to reformat
    > HD
    > > on one and obviously need to reinstall drivers. Don't have the resource
    > > disk, so I downloaded from your site the proper ethernet controller
    > driver.
    > > It installed, but when I try to get on Internet, I don't get the LAN
    > option
    > > in the setup and it is looking for a modem. Any thoughts
    > >
    > > Also getting an unknown device error message at bootup, any suggestions
    on
    > > what it might be.
    > >
    > > The sound card is fine now,, but the video is only 2 or 16 colors. The
    > card
    > > is integrated into the motherboard. Hard to tell what it is.
    > >
    > > If I can get the Internet going, I can at least download directly rather
    > > than go to another computer and burn.

    Have you installed the Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset drivers?

    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=0&OS=W98&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=PLX_PNT_CEL_GX100&DeviceID=183

    > The order is important, right???
    >
    > Actually I downloaded the 810 and the video is okay. Dell told me to
    > uninstall the network driver and install again.
    >
    > That should solve the order problem.
    >
    > I am still trying to figure out what the unknown device is. Any thoughts
    >

    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > You need to download the Intel chipset software and video drivers for an
    > > Intel i810/815 chipset - either from Dell or Intel.
    > >
    > > The chipset software goes first, then the video.
    > >
    > > Once the chipset drivers are in place, you can install sound and network
    > > drivers.
    > >

    > > "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Have a bunch of Gx100s that were donated to our school. Had to
    reformat
    > > HD
    > > > on one and obviously need to reinstall drivers. Don't have the
    resource
    > > > disk, so I downloaded from your site the proper ethernet controller
    > > driver.
    > > > It installed, but when I try to get on Internet, I don't get the LAN
    > > option
    > > > in the setup and it is looking for a modem. Any thoughts
    > > >
    > > > Also getting an unknown device error message at bootup, any
    suggestions
    > on
    > > > what it might be.
    > > >
    > > > The sound card is fine now,, but the video is only 2 or 16 colors.
    The
    > > card
    > > > is integrated into the motherboard. Hard to tell what it is.
    > > >
    > > > If I can get the Internet going, I can at least download directly
    rather
    > > > than go to another computer and burn.

Dell Computers