Printer spool not running - cannot restart; System Error 23

Hi
My windows XP gateway machine ran into a problem where I cannot print. When
I tried to
locate/add the printer I got the message "Cannot add...print spooler not
running".
I browsed thru the msgs and I found that I could restart the spooler by
going thru
Admistrative Tools->Services->,, but the spooler would not start.

I even tried starting from cmd prompt
> net stop spooler
> net start spooler

and I get the message:

Cannot start print spooler System Error 23 (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

The printer is a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer connected directly to the PC.

Can someone please help?

thx,
Kishore
4 answers Last reply
More about printer spool running restart system error

    Kishore <Kishore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Thu, 15 Sep 2005:

    >Hi
    >My windows XP gateway machine ran into a problem where I cannot print. When
    >I tried to
    >locate/add the printer I got the message "Cannot add...print spooler not
    >running".
    >I browsed thru the msgs and I found that I could restart the spooler by
    >going thru
    >Admistrative Tools->Services->,, but the spooler would not start.
    >
    >I even tried starting from cmd prompt
    >> net stop spooler
    >> net start spooler
    >
    >and I get the message:
    >
    >Cannot start print spooler System Error 23 (Cyclic Redundancy Check)
    >
    >The printer is a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer connected directly to the PC.
    >
    >Can someone please help?

    Hi Kishore

    Try reinstalling your printer driver, then the spooler service.

    --
    Nightowl

    Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote on Fri, 16 Sep 2005:

    >Hi Kishore
    >
    >Try reinstalling your printer driver, then the spooler service.

    Oops, I meant to say: ". . . then starting the spooler service."

    --
    Nightowl

    Hi Nightowl
    Thanks for the tip..unfortunately that did not work.
    One thing I noticed is that my system restore is not working either,
    there are no backups from previous dates and my system restore
    is set to be active.

    thx,
    Kishore

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lzaG9yZQ==?= wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip..unfortunately that did not work.
    > One thing I noticed is that my system restore is not working either,
    > there are no backups from previous dates and my system restore
    > is set to be active.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#15

Print Spooler System Error Printers Windows XP