I got those FTP Blues

I posed a question the other day about why FTP will not load any sites with
XP Pro. I received a couple of answers (thanks guys). I tried your suggested
fixes but still, nothing. No other programs will work, nor will turning on or
off pasv mode or anything to do with annomous or passive modes.....

Somebody please

I really need to get FTP up and runningd

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

i want to postmy own "new' question, butthe screen just flickers when I try,
it's letting me Reply here
sawy to piggie back smalltown,, can someone tell me how post my own question??

"SmallTownFarmBoy" wrote:

> I posed a question the other day about why FTP will not load any sites with
> XP Pro. I received a couple of answers (thanks guys). I tried your suggested
> fixes but still, nothing. No other programs will work, nor will turning on or
> off pasv mode or anything to do with annomous or passive modes.....
>
> Somebody please
>
> I really need to get FTP up and runningd

bill

What type of connection do you have to the internet? Modem, Cable, DSL, etc.
Do you have a router, hub, switch? What make and model if any.
Do you have a software firewall installed that is blocking ports 20, 21?

"SmallTownFarmBoy" <SmallTownFarmBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0CD8F903-9139-46CD-B521-6035767F410B@microsoft.com...
>I posed a question the other day about why FTP will not load any sites with
> XP Pro. I received a couple of answers (thanks guys). I tried your
> suggested
> fixes but still, nothing. No other programs will work, nor will turning on
> or
> off pasv mode or anything to do with annomous or passive modes.....
>
> Somebody please
>
> I really need to get FTP up and runningd

First it would have been better to keep to the original thread where you posted 1st.
Secondly what is your Windows Version? 3rd I am using W2K3 Sever and I do not know if in XP you have like I do. When you type in services.msc into Start\Run is FTP enabled or Disabled?

--
Peter

In news:E7753411-9C6E-491B-B0FD-E366A9D0A5DD@microsoft.com,
joseph <joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
> i want to postmy own "new' question, butthe screen just flickers when
> I try, it's letting me Reply here
> sawy to piggie back smalltown,, can someone tell me how post my own
> question??

Setup a newsreader.

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

joseph wrote:

> i want to postmy own "new' question, butthe screen just flickers when I try,
> it's letting me Reply here
> sawy to piggie back smalltown,, can someone tell me how post my own question??
>
> "SmallTownFarmBoy" wrote:
>

>>I posed a question the other day about why FTP will not load any sites with
>>XP Pro. I received a couple of answers (thanks guys). I tried your suggested
>>fixes but still, nothing. No other programs will work, nor will turning on or
>>off pasv mode or anything to do with annomous or passive modes.....
>>
>>Somebody please
>>
>>I really need to get FTP up and runningd

Don't use the web interface. Use a newsreader to access this
newsgroup. XP has one, Outlook Express (OE), and there are others to
choose from. Much better way to access a newsgroup than the web
interface which is just plain lousy.

Here is a link on how to set up OE to access a newsgroup:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User