How to change floppy drive letters? Disk Management doesn'..

I upgraded from Windows ME which had all my floppy drive letters
correct. The master 3 1/2" floppy was A: my seconday 5 1/4"
floppy was B: and my Imation Super Floppy was F:

After the upgrade my primary 3 1/2" floppy is now B:.
The secondary 5 1/4 floppy is F: and the Imation Super floppy
on the seconday IDE channel as master is A:

Disk Management only shows the 2 hard drives as C: and D:,
my external SCSI ZIP drive as E: and my SCSI CD drives as L:
and M: as they were set before I upgraded.

Since Disk Management doesn't show the floppy drives how
do I get the floppy drive letters back to where they should
be?

I have already tried uninstalling the floppy drives and
letting Add/Remove Hardware redetect and reinstall them.
Same result.

Is there some registry entry or entries I can make that
will correct this situation?
4 answers Last reply
More about change floppy drive letters disk management doesn

    "Kern" <tlingzhon@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I upgraded from Windows ME which had all my floppy drive letters
    > correct. The master 3 1/2" floppy was A: my seconday 5 1/4"
    > floppy was B: and my Imation Super Floppy was F:
    >
    > After the upgrade my primary 3 1/2" floppy is now B:.
    > The secondary 5 1/4 floppy is F: and the Imation Super floppy
    > on the seconday IDE channel as master is A:
    >
    > Disk Management only shows the 2 hard drives as C: and D:,
    > my external SCSI ZIP drive as E: and my SCSI CD drives as L:
    > and M: as they were set before I upgraded.
    >
    > Since Disk Management doesn't show the floppy drives how
    > do I get the floppy drive letters back to where they should
    > be?
    >
    > I have already tried uninstalling the floppy drives and
    > letting Add/Remove Hardware redetect and reinstall them.
    > Same result.
    >
    > Is there some registry entry or entries I can make that
    > will correct this situation?

    Here I got a fix for you.

    Start Regedit and find:
    My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

    Under that you will see a \DosDevices\B:
    Select the entry and press F2 (or Rt click and choose rename)
    Rename to \DosDevices\A:

    Make sure if you have an entry for A: that you rename that one to B:

    Now what ever the drive letters are that you will see just change the drive
    letters to something else like x or z first then cnage it back to the letter
    you want or else microsoft windows will conflict and not work ok thanks.

    Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don't forget to select yes if this
    was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.
    Thanks

    "Kern" wrote:

    > I upgraded from Windows ME which had all my floppy drive letters
    > correct. The master 3 1/2" floppy was A: my seconday 5 1/4"
    > floppy was B: and my Imation Super Floppy was F:
    >
    > After the upgrade my primary 3 1/2" floppy is now B:.
    > The secondary 5 1/4 floppy is F: and the Imation Super floppy
    > on the seconday IDE channel as master is A:
    >
    > Disk Management only shows the 2 hard drives as C: and D:,
    > my external SCSI ZIP drive as E: and my SCSI CD drives as L:
    > and M: as they were set before I upgraded.
    >
    > Since Disk Management doesn't show the floppy drives how
    > do I get the floppy drive letters back to where they should
    > be?
    >
    > I have already tried uninstalling the floppy drives and
    > letting Add/Remove Hardware redetect and reinstall them.
    > Same result.
    >
    > Is there some registry entry or entries I can make that
    > will correct this situation?

    Kern <tlingzhon@netscape.net> wrote in

    > I upgraded from Windows ME which had all my floppy drive letters
    > correct. The master 3 1/2" floppy was A: my seconday 5 1/4"
    > floppy was B: and my Imation Super Floppy was F:
    >
    > After the upgrade my primary 3 1/2" floppy is now B:.
    > The secondary 5 1/4 floppy is F: and the Imation Super floppy
    > on the seconday IDE channel as master is A:

    I just want to ask.....do you even/still use the 5 1/4 and and the 'Super
    Floppy' ? Just the 3 1/2 should be adequate. Is the external ZIP drive even
    necessary also ?

    Mr. Seneca,

    Thanks for the registry fix method. That worked like
    the drive letters had never been touched.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldyBTZW5lY2Fs?=
    <MatthewSenecal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Here I got a fix for you.
    >
    > Start Regedit and find:
    > My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.
    >
    > Under that you will see a \DosDevices\B:
    > Select the entry and press F2 (or Rt click and choose rename)
    > Rename to \DosDevices\A:
    >
    > Make sure if you have an entry for A: that you rename that one
    to B:

    > Now what ever the drive letters are that you will see just change
    the
    > drive letters to something else like x or z first then cnage it
    back
    > to the letter you want or else microsoft windows will conflict
    and
    > not work ok thanks.
    >
    > Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don't forget to select
    yes if
    > this was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people
    with
    > there problems. Thanks
    >

    > "Kern" wrote:
    >
    >> I upgraded from Windows ME which had all my floppy drive
    letters
    >> correct. The master 3 1/2" floppy was A: my seconday 5 1/4"
    >> floppy was B: and my Imation Super Floppy was F:
    >>
    >> After the upgrade my primary 3 1/2" floppy is now B:.
    >> The secondary 5 1/4 floppy is F: and the Imation Super floppy
    >> on the seconday IDE channel as master is A:
    >>
    >> Disk Management only shows the 2 hard drives as C: and D:,
    >> my external SCSI ZIP drive as E: and my SCSI CD drives as L:
    >> and M: as they were set before I upgraded.
    >>
    >> Since Disk Management doesn't show the floppy drives how
    >> do I get the floppy drive letters back to where they should
    >> be?
    >>
    >> I have already tried uninstalling the floppy drives and
    >> letting Add/Remove Hardware redetect and reinstall them.
    >> Same result.
    >>
    >> Is there some registry entry or entries I can make that
    >> will correct this situation?

Floppy Disk Disk Management Windows XP