dweezy88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I seriously need to upgrade my computer and I need some help. Awhile back, 4 yrs ago or so, my mom bought a Compaq Presario Desktop 7360 and over the years, I've been upgrading various components such as graphic card, memory, cd-drives. But I think I should upgrade the 433mhz cpu.I'm wondering, looking at the compaq presario desktop 7360 specs, what cpu can i upgrade to? Which ones would work? I really need help! Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I Garuntee that board will support the older PPGA Celeron 533. Not certain about the newer FC-PGA 533-766 though. Also not certain about bus speed support.

What chipset does it use?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I think you can forget about upgrading it. You *might* be able to squeeze in something that is a couple of percent faster, but considering the effort, price and the low performance you'll still end up with, I think its time for a new machine. If you don't have the budget for a really new computer, consider buying a second hand AXP or something.

You might be able to recover a few things, like harddisk, videocard or optical drives if they are worth it though.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your system is operational with windows loaded, you can find out what chipset you're using in device manager, it should have a couple system devices labled with the part 82440LX, 82440BX, 82810, or 82815...or some variation of those numbers, containing the part BX, LX 810, or 815.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dweezy88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I could not find those numbers but I know that the processor it's currently running on is an AMD K6-2 500mhz if that helps at all.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought you said a 433MHz CPU? Well, your K6-2 is probably on an MVP or MVP3 chipset. And you can't get a Socket 7 CPU faster than 550MHz.

dweezy88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Well ,i thought it was a 433mhz by looking at the specs on some place where i found the compaq information. Thanks anyways, probably time to buy/make a new computer then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen Compaq use the same model number for PC's with different board/processors before.