P4 Overheating?

sauron516

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I have a P4 1.3 GHZ socket 423. The system hangs during Windows 2000 startup once it gets to the splash screen, it also hangs in the various safe modes or debugging modes at the splash screen, it hangs when trying to boot of the win 2k cd as well as linux and beos cd's. The fan on the processor doesn't seem to be spinning too well. Could my problem be that the chip is running too hot, my bios dosn't
have any sort of temp reporting feature. Any feedback would be a great help

If you have any doubts, you can remove the heatsink and rinse it under water, letting it air dry for half an hour. Then add a tiny dab of radio shack white thermal grease (about $2) to the center of the cpu core before reinstalling the heatsink. You can also download motherboard monitor 5, a free software program that you can adjust to the readings in the monitor section of the bios. Write those readings down (when the system is warmed up) and try the various settings in mbm5 until they match.

sauron516

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
thanks, ill try that, only problem is i can't get the computer
to completely boot so i can't use the mother board monitor 5,
can anyone recomend a good fan, heatsink combo for socket 423
p4's

Nexfan.com has several listings in pricewatch for socket 423 fans with free shipping for $3. If you're still having problems after replacing the heatsink, I would try doing a repair of your windows 2000. You can boot to the windows cd, and select the repair option when prompted. If you're prompted to upgrade to 2000, that's even better. Just avoid the fresh install option if you want to save your old files. Sometimes after loading one of the service packs, windows will give you the upgrade option, which wipes out the service pack files, but saves your other files.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can check your temps fairly easily. Put your hand on the heatsink when it locks up. If it feels like a warm cup off coffee, you're OK. IF it feels like a hot cup of coffee, it's too warm.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>