My final System 1 problems (for now)

So, thanks to the fine help of the RGP community my Genie is 95% working!!
The 2 remaining problems I'm having are this-
The 4000 bonus point light stays on all the time (although it get's a little
brighter when the bonus actually advances to 4000), and my GI fuse blows
immediately upon powerup. Could these 2 things be related? What should I be
looking for?
Thanks!
Chris

for the bonus lamp, try replacing Q38 (MPS-A13) on the driver board

the gi fuse blowing sounds like a short somewhere on the GI bus

steve (cargpb10 - sigh)

greenacarina wrote:
> So, thanks to the fine help of the RGP community my Genie is 95% working!!
> The 2 remaining problems I'm having are this-
> The 4000 bonus point light stays on all the time (although it get's a little
> brighter when the bonus actually advances to 4000), and my GI fuse blows
> immediately upon powerup. Could these 2 things be related? What should I be
> looking for?
> Thanks!
> Chris

Look under the playfield for a GI socket with the tab bent to far in
and shorting against the socket body....

zTim

OK, I've been goofing around with this most of the day and I've gotten to
the point of removing all the bulbs and I've isolated the problem to the
playfield (not the coin door). My ohmmeter is still showing a short to
ground and I fear that my next step is to de-solder the bulb sockets one at
a time. Any advice before I take this drastic measure? (or are you veteran
pinheads thinking "drastic, hell! I do that stuff just for fun!")
I have to wonder if I'm there's a more logical approach to this?
Thanks.
Chris

Rockola <fredmertz_1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Look under the playfield for a GI socket with the tab bent to far in
> and shorting against the socket body....
>
> zTim

> I have to wonder if I'm there's a more logical approach to this?
"if there's a more logical approach to this"

sorry for the sloppy typing.
:)

Let us know how everything turns out.

Jim
--
flipper [at] pa [dot] net

greenacarina wrote:
> That is an awesome thread! Thanks a bunch, Jim!! I am going to try that
> right now. Sounds like I might have the exact same problem.
> Thanks!!!!!
> Chris
>

> Gott Lieb? <rgp@papinball.com> wrote in message
> > For your GI problem, follow Mark Clayton's instructions in this thread:
> >
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/a
> f0e13a2aa28941b/896b67269e46bce2?q=GI+light+bulb+fuse&rnum=1&hl=en#896b67269
> e46bce2
> >
> > Hopefully, this will get you a little closer to the problem.
> >
> > Jim
> > --
> > flipper [at] pa [dot] net

That is an awesome thread! Thanks a bunch, Jim!! I am going to try that
right now. Sounds like I might have the exact same problem.
Thanks!!!!!
Chris

Gott Lieb? <rgp@papinball.com> wrote in message
> For your GI problem, follow Mark Clayton's instructions in this thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/a
f0e13a2aa28941b/896b67269e46bce2?q=GI+light+bulb+fuse&rnum=1&hl=en#896b67269
e46bce2

> Hopefully, this will get you a little closer to the problem.
>
> Jim
> --
> flipper [at] pa [dot] net

OK, I may be getting somewhere on this. I notice when I power up the machine
it does it's normal 5-second cycle, then the click and the score displays
light up....BUT...there is no "game over" or "tilt" light. I made sure the
bulbs were good, the contacts look good (not bent over or anything). Now,
when I trigger the tilt relay manually I notice that my test-light-fuse
gizmo (that I made thanks to the other thread) goes dim when I push the
relay slightly and bright again when I push it all the way (there is a set
of double contacts and when the center leaf is contacting either the "open
position" contact or the "closed posistion" contact the light is bright, but
touching neither one the light will dim). I couldn't find a diagram of the
game-over or tilt relay in my Genie manual to tell me which contact does
what (but I'm starting to wonder if this manual is complete!). Does this
sound like anything??? I may de-solder the tilt light socket and see if
anything changes.