Keyboard recommendation

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
im looking to buy a new keyboard for gaming. I have a few requirements and having a hard time finding a suitable one

I want to find one that:

Is no bigger than say the Steelseries 6gv2 (7g is too big for my desk)
Switch: mechanical - not too sure about switch types, Im looking for something that is quite clicky and allows for easy double tapping
No LED backlights
Audio passthrough (headphones and mic) -- important
short wrist rest would be preferred but not required
large backspace and large enter keys

any suggestions?

if you want clicky then mechanical keyswitches are the way to go. just keep in mind which switch the keyboard uses. some aren't clicky (such as cherry mx browns). the loudest, hardest to press keys are most likely buckling spring types (found on ibm-m)

when you mention mechanical keyboards the big three come to mind. old-school ibm model m, unicomp customizers (brand new ibm m styled boards), and das keyboards. all three are standard sized keyboards without many bells and whistles.

by large backspace and enter are you referring to the standard rectangle keys or the old-school style L shaped ones?

just my suggestion, take it with a grain of salt: worry about the quality of the keyboard, personal ergonomics, and other requirements first. if it doesn't have an audio/mic connection don't rule it out. a simple extension cable will work just fine.