USB Hub

I have an XP SP2 unit that was working great until a few days ago. The USB
hub died and I replaced it with a new one. That worked until the next day
when XP would not recognize the hub. I bought another hub (thinking the
first one had simply been a fluke) but Windows will not recognize that hub or
any of the devices attached to it.

If I plug in the hub I get the new hardware wizard and it cannot find a
driver, nor can I tell it to use the "generic USB hub" driver. I simply end
up with a "USB Device" icon in Device Manager with a yellow ! next to it.
These hubs work fine on other PCS, and both USB ports work fine if a device
is plugged directly into them. The only problem is getting Windows to
recognize the hub as a hub. I already re-installed the recommended chipset
drivers from Dell, didn't help.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong newsgroup. If it is, please let me know
which one would be more appropriate.
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    The Motherboard/chipset drivers are for the ONBOARD USB plugs.
    Remove the USB device/hub from Device Manager.
    Power off and disconnect it. Then power up.
    Install the drivers for the HUB from the included CD. Reboot if necessary.
    Plug it back in.
    It should now find the proper driver.
    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "W T Allen" <WTAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an XP SP2 unit that was working great until a few days ago. The USB
    > hub died and I replaced it with a new one. That worked until the next day
    > when XP would not recognize the hub. I bought another hub (thinking the
    > first one had simply been a fluke) but Windows will not recognize that hub
    > or
    > any of the devices attached to it.
    >
    > If I plug in the hub I get the new hardware wizard and it cannot find a
    > driver, nor can I tell it to use the "generic USB hub" driver. I simply
    > end
    > up with a "USB Device" icon in Device Manager with a yellow ! next to it.
    > These hubs work fine on other PCS, and both USB ports work fine if a
    > device
    > is plugged directly into them. The only problem is getting Windows to
    > recognize the hub as a hub. I already re-installed the recommended chipset
    > drivers from Dell, didn't help.
    >
    > I'm sorry if this is in the wrong newsgroup. If it is, please let me know
    > which one would be more appropriate.

    On Thursday 15 September 2005 01:21 pm, W T Allen had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > I have an XP SP2 unit that was working great until a few days ago. The
    > USB hub died and I replaced it with a new one. That worked until the next
    > day
    > when XP would not recognize the hub. I bought another hub (thinking the
    > first one had simply been a fluke) but Windows will not recognize that hub
    > or any of the devices attached to it.

    Simply put - XP is a p.o.s. when it comes to dealing with USB2. Maybe
    MickeyMouse will fix it one day?

    --
    Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17

USB Windows XP