High Athon temps

CoffeeMan

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Hello all, new to this forum. I have a problem keeping my Athlon XP2000 at a decent temperature. Since installing it about 18 months ago its been running at an alarming 70-75 deg C. I put this down to the type of heatsink and fans I configured for quiet operation. Anyway, it just kept going, even after thermal shut-down in the summer.

Now I've fitted water-cooling and its not much better. I've just realised ( belatedly) that this temp is the on-board die temp as read by the mobo, whereas the thermal resistor under the die is only about 46 deg C. So my question is, can I trust the on-board temp? Could the mobo be misreading it? Can it really run at that temp without damage?
Sorry thats 3 questions, :)
Thanks

TheFamilyGuy

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
my friend had a problem with his xp2000+ running extremely hot, he found out that the stock heatsink was garbage, it was collecting large amounts of dust. He went with a new heatsink and now it's running at 32c at idle and only 40 or so underload. I don't get why yours is running so hot even under water cooling. Maybe your getting very bad airflow in your case.

edit: Still even if your mobo is reading the temp wrong 45c is still hot for water-cooloing. You might want to check your voltage, another problem of my friends was that when he installed it the mobo picked up the voltage as 1.76 instead of what it should be at stock, 1.65.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheFamilyGuy on 04/12/04 02:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Try running prime95 high temp torture test. If it dont crash, you have no problems.
Any kind of thermal sensor must be calibrated to it's output interface to give accurate readings. Since this is just not possable with an ondie sensor, never believe what you see.

CoffeeMan

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply. TheFamilyGuy, you were right, my default core was 1.75 so I lowered it to 1.65. I ran the Prime95 torture test, Endyen. It stopped on fatal error after only 14 mins! However, the die temp never got above 75.Oh well, don't know what to make of that, maybe the proc has fried its nines after all this time. Anyway, I have got cooler temps,albeit not as much as I wanted, but then the fan is running very slow, which keeps the noise down.