wstam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
I am a newbie in this forum and don't know if this is discussed before.

Remember the classic test in Sept 2001 that Tom's Hardware remove the heat sink from the P4, PIII, and Athlon while it is operating?

At that moment, Athlon smoke!!! PIII lock up, but P4 magically slow down, cool down, and continues to function.

After 2 years and a half, we now has a Prescott P4 with is hot enought to heat up our room in the winter. Is the Prescott P4 still magically slow down while it is overheated? Or it will locked up? Or is it too hot that it will smoke before it has chance to slow down/lock up? What about the new Athlon 64?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wstam on 04/12/04 02:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
in my experience the p4's if under load will over heat and the pc will shut off. it takes some time maybe even a minute. if u don't put it on load it will just continue to run. i'm sure the prescott will do the same as it will still take some time to get that hot. as soon as i get one i'll try it.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
the amd 64 runs at a slightly lower voltage and heat than p4 a&es and cs and can survive a Hsf failure and has mobos which automatically shut down in case of failure-the reasons I think the 64s are better than the p4s despite the more mature platforms and some real advantages of p4s.

wstam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Do anyone know how to ask Tom's Hardware to do the Thermal Death test on all the current CPUs?

I love the slow down feature on the old P4 and can't imagine that Intel will take this out from the current Prescott P4. But we need prove on this.

ETPerth

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I am not too sure about that.

I just got myself a Prescott 3.0ghz, even using the stock hsf and open case, the cpu runs at around 70c and kept on crashing!