hp4200 with w98

Hello everybody!
A client has a brand new printer hp4200, installed on an old w98 machine.
Sometimes, by starting the pc, the printer prints a string of strange
characters (hearts, etc.)
any idea what could it be?
thank you very much,
Cristina

Cristina,

The odd characters are most often symptomatic of a faulty parallel port
connection. Try a different cable. Make sure the cable is tight. Configure
the parallel port as ECP in the computer's BIOS setup.

Of course, if the 4200 is on a JetDirect Ethernet card, forget what I've just
stated... Ben Myers

"C. Ferrario" <cferrario@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hello everybody!
> A client has a brand new printer hp4200, installed on an old w98 machine.
> Sometimes, by starting the pc, the printer prints a string of strange
> characters (hearts, etc.)
> any idea what could it be?
> thank you very much,

This is typically due to a quirk in Win 98 looking for a tape drive on the
parallel port at startup. See the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;157145&Product=w98

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
(Not speaking for my employer HP)