XP Screensaver won't go away

September 15, 2005 5:51:05 PM

I've just upgraded from Me to XP Home. I don't want the screesaver enabled so
I've disabled it in display properties. I also choose "Windows Classic" theme
for the desktop and apply changes. Shortly after I start web-browsing or
whatever I hear a 'squeak' from my HP Pavilion and a quick check of the
desktop reveals that it has changed itself back to "Modified Theme" and the
screensaver has turned itself back on. This happens even if I reboot after
applying my desired changes.
I have the most current driver for Intel 82810E graphics controller and for
my SyncMaster 750s monitor, AND all Windows Updates installed.
I also cannot set the screen resolution higher than 800X600, 16-bit - a
problem I did not have with Windows Me.
Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.

More about : screensaver

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:21:01 PM

Hi I have a solution for you that should fix everything.

Hi it seems that you might have a virus and/or spyware on your computer. I
would like for you to going in windows and right click on my computer on the
desktop and go to properties and go to the system restore tab and check the
box to turn off the system restore and click apply and ok. Then get a
anti-virus program and do a full scan on your computer if you don't have a
anti-virs program you can download avg's for free at http://www.grisoft.com
and anti-spyware program at http://www.lavasoftusa.com to download Ad-Aware
SE. After that go and download hijackthis for free on the internet and then
run a scan and save the log and paste the log at this site

http://www.hijackthis.de and it will tell you want to check and to remove
and then restart the computer and see how it goes there is a virus and/or
spyware on you computer that is corrupting your system by chaning your
settings back even though you might fix the virus and/or spyware with system
restore on it's still saved in there that's why I had you turn it off. and
that should fix it. Also make sure that you go to start and windows update
and scan and download all possible updates from there and install it and
restart ok thanks.

--
Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.

Matthew Senecal

"Rockanroll2" wrote:

> I've just upgraded from Me to XP Home. I don't want the screesaver enabled so
> I've disabled it in display properties. I also choose "Windows Classic" theme
> for the desktop and apply changes. Shortly after I start web-browsing or
> whatever I hear a 'squeak' from my HP Pavilion and a quick check of the
> desktop reveals that it has changed itself back to "Modified Theme" and the
> screensaver has turned itself back on. This happens even if I reboot after
> applying my desired changes.
> I have the most current driver for Intel 82810E graphics controller and for
> my SyncMaster 750s monitor, AND all Windows Updates installed.
> I also cannot set the screen resolution higher than 800X600, 16-bit - a
> problem I did not have with Windows Me.
> Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:54:04 PM

Matthew,
Thanks for your advice. I already use "AdAware SE" AND "Spybot S&D" which I
run every day and both are up to date. I also have "Norton AV Corp. Ed."
installed, active & updated and I ran a full virus scan right after I
upgraded to XP. I also use Zone Alarm Pro so I am skeptical about having a
virus. I will try what you suggested anyway.
Also, as I already explained, I have Windows Update covered as well.
Thanks again for your response.

"Matthew Senecal" wrote:

> Hi I have a solution for you that should fix everything.
>
> Hi it seems that you might have a virus and/or spyware on your computer. I
> would like for you to going in windows and right click on my computer on the
> desktop and go to properties and go to the system restore tab and check the
> box to turn off the system restore and click apply and ok. Then get a
> anti-virus program and do a full scan on your computer if you don't have a
> anti-virs program you can download avg's for free at http://www.grisoft.com
> and anti-spyware program at http://www.lavasoftusa.com to download Ad-Aware
> SE. After that go and download hijackthis for free on the internet and then
> run a scan and save the log and paste the log at this site
>
> http://www.hijackthis.de and it will tell you want to check and to remove
> and then restart the computer and see how it goes there is a virus and/or
> spyware on you computer that is corrupting your system by chaning your
> settings back even though you might fix the virus and/or spyware with system
> restore on it's still saved in there that's why I had you turn it off. and
> that should fix it. Also make sure that you go to start and windows update
> and scan and download all possible updates from there and install it and
> restart ok thanks.
>
> --
> Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
> was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.
> Thanks
>
> Matthew Senecal
>

> "Rockanroll2" wrote:
>
> > I've just upgraded from Me to XP Home. I don't want the screesaver enabled so
> > I've disabled it in display properties. I also choose "Windows Classic" theme
> > for the desktop and apply changes. Shortly after I start web-browsing or
> > whatever I hear a 'squeak' from my HP Pavilion and a quick check of the
> > desktop reveals that it has changed itself back to "Modified Theme" and the
> > screensaver has turned itself back on. This happens even if I reboot after
> > applying my desired changes.
> > I have the most current driver for Intel 82810E graphics controller and for
> > my SyncMaster 750s monitor, AND all Windows Updates installed.
> > I also cannot set the screen resolution higher than 800X600, 16-bit - a
> > problem I did not have with Windows Me.
> > Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.
September 15, 2005 11:41:01 PM

Matthew,
I did as you suggested and here is the log file from "HijackThis";

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:32:53 PM, on 9/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netdde.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\AloeCam\AloeCam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
D:\install\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/fix_homep...
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) =
about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R3 - URLSearchHook: CnfSearch Class - {D7CD08F0-D691-11D8-9669-0800200C9A66}
- C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFUSEARCH.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -
C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe"
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search the Web - C:\WINDOWS\Web\Ers_src.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} -
O16 - DPF: {4418DD4D-7265-4C32-BC0A-3FDB3C2DA938} -
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls...
O16 - DPF: {E504EE6E-47C6-11D5-B8AB-00D0B78F3D48} -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec
AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program
Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC -
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Any ideas?
Thanks.

"Matthew Senecal" wrote:

> Hi I have a solution for you that should fix everything.
>
> Hi it seems that you might have a virus and/or spyware on your computer. I
> would like for you to going in windows and right click on my computer on the
> desktop and go to properties and go to the system restore tab and check the
> box to turn off the system restore and click apply and ok. Then get a
> anti-virus program and do a full scan on your computer if you don't have a
> anti-virs program you can download avg's for free at http://www.grisoft.com
> and anti-spyware program at http://www.lavasoftusa.com to download Ad-Aware
> SE. After that go and download hijackthis for free on the internet and then
> run a scan and save the log and paste the log at this site
>
> http://www.hijackthis.de and it will tell you want to check and to remove
> and then restart the computer and see how it goes there is a virus and/or
> spyware on you computer that is corrupting your system by chaning your
> settings back even though you might fix the virus and/or spyware with system
> restore on it's still saved in there that's why I had you turn it off. and
> that should fix it. Also make sure that you go to start and windows update
> and scan and download all possible updates from there and install it and
> restart ok thanks.
>
> --
> Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
> was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.
> Thanks
>
> Matthew Senecal
>

> "Rockanroll2" wrote:
>
> > I've just upgraded from Me to XP Home. I don't want the screesaver enabled so
> > I've disabled it in display properties. I also choose "Windows Classic" theme
> > for the desktop and apply changes. Shortly after I start web-browsing or
> > whatever I hear a 'squeak' from my HP Pavilion and a quick check of the
> > desktop reveals that it has changed itself back to "Modified Theme" and the
> > screensaver has turned itself back on. This happens even if I reboot after
> > applying my desired changes.
> > I have the most current driver for Intel 82810E graphics controller and for
> > my SyncMaster 750s monitor, AND all Windows Updates installed.
> > I also cannot set the screen resolution higher than 800X600, 16-bit - a
> > problem I did not have with Windows Me.
> > Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:59:02 AM

No go to this website address
http://www.hijackthis.de
and paste the log there in that window it provides and then click on
analyize on the bootom of window and it will tell you what exactly to remove
ok thanks.
--

"Rockanroll2" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Matthew Senecal
> >

> > "Rockanroll2" wrote:
> >
> > > I've just upgraded from Me to XP Home. I don't want the screesaver enabled so
> > > I've disabled it in display properties. I also choose "Windows Classic" theme
> > > for the desktop and apply changes. Shortly after I start web-browsing or
> > > whatever I hear a 'squeak' from my HP Pavilion and a quick check of the
> > > desktop reveals that it has changed itself back to "Modified Theme" and the
> > > screensaver has turned itself back on. This happens even if I reboot after
> > > applying my desired changes.
> > > I have the most current driver for Intel 82810E graphics controller and for
> > > my SyncMaster 750s monitor, AND all Windows Updates installed.
> > > I also cannot set the screen resolution higher than 800X600, 16-bit - a
> > > problem I did not have with Windows Me.
> > > Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.
September 16, 2005 12:35:09 PM

Thanks Matthew,
I did post the log on the "hijackthis" site and removed a few items - but
I'm having the same problem as before.
"QDow_as2.dll.tcf" and "C:\null" were removed by Symantec - they are browser
hijackers but they are gone. I will continue to check thru the registery for
traces, other than that I don't have any other answers.
Thanks again.

!