Sign in with
Your question

AMD! It could happen to you!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2004 8:00:40 AM

I'd just finished doing the following service to a customer PC on contract for a shop that couldn't figure it out (boot loop):
1.) Reinstalled Windows XP Home
2.) Installed Windows XP Service Pack 1
3.) Installed Windows Security Patches
4.) Removed Lolaweb_A, Lolaweb_B, Lolaweb_C trojans
5.) Disabled broken “Dragon theme” boot background program
6.) Updated Norton AV pattern files
7.) Updated Spybot spyware detection program

OK, now, I'm sitting pretty, trying to figure out if the system is 100% stable, when all of a sudden I heard a "clunk". First thing that crossed my mind? What could go "clunk". It took me 3 seconds to move from my desk to my workbench next to it and cut the power, just as I reached for the rear switch the screen went black.

Opened the case, there's the CPU cooler, sitting pretty as can be on the top of the video card.

1.) I hadn't touched the CPU cooler
2.) The hooks that held the cooler in place were no longer hook shaped, and the thing probably rattled loose
3.) Whoever had put the CPU on had used a super thin layer of sink compound: it had vanished, no wonder the CPU was already running warm.
4.) The CPU, an XP1800+, was fried, with no visable damage.

The case wasn't even opened, try blaming THAT one on me.

Where's Darko, I'll bet he'll scream some conspiracy theory!!!

What we see here:
1.) The owner had probably assembled the cooler several times, wearing out the catches on the holddown tabs
2.) Use some freaking paste!
3.) THG's first video REALLY IS relavent

Common Darko, blame me for this!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

More about : amd happen

Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2004 8:42:28 AM

d00d, I have a major problem:
1.) the Dealer told the Owner it was an unknown hardware issue and he was outsourcing the labor
2.) the OWNER didn't include the XP Home CD, so I had to call him to get it. I told him it was software.
3.) The system is dead. How do you explain that to the owner without him thinking you're ripping him off?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
April 13, 2004 8:52:47 AM

oh yes i hate those situations, ive been there

first a customer calls up saying their email doesnt work. we find out its a dns issue wiht his o/s.. try a few things, reintstall tcp/ip if need be, then it turns out to be the winsock files, which are easily fixable to people like us but to a home user it will cost them 70 bux in service fees

so he thinks its because of the settings changes we made. it worked earlier in the day, and he hasnt even installed anything, just rebooted ...

or a customer gets their cable modem installed, and they get hit with the blaster worm. it is because of the internet, but how do you explain that its from a weakness in Windows, when the customer is a blithering idiot who cannot even open an IE window? *sigh*

ive been in some sitiations like yours too when i used to do repairs.. altho no stories come to mind atm because its 6am ;P

just tell him that you were trying to fix his windows problem, and then the HSF fell off. he will probably think that you were bashing the thing around your shop , but hey what else can you do?

oh boy im glad im not in your situation >:E

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>
April 13, 2004 11:32:22 AM

LOL

i need to change useur name.
April 13, 2004 12:12:16 PM

Three seconds ? that ought to have been plenty of time for the MB to switch off really, so I guess this was one of the older boards without the overheat protection. Still sucks though. And I always found those HSF clips a terrible idea in the first place, especially the HS's that only use ONE of the three tabs. You're just asking for touble there, even with thermal protection, a 800g copper heatsink dropping on your $400 Radeon is not a good thing either. Therefore I still brace my Swiftech 462 for using bolts and nuts. Could probably drop it from 3 stories high on concrete, and I think it would still hold.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 13, 2004 1:53:09 PM

What is the matter Crash.. You don't like me..

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 13, 2004 3:55:21 PM

Glue the heatsink on. Always.
April 13, 2004 5:38:02 PM

My guess is the dealer worked on it, put the HSF on backwards, forced the clip in place, and distorted it.

I know you had plenty on you mind but did you happen to notice the HSF orientation? If not, the bends in the fan wire might tell you which way it was lasted mounted.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
April 13, 2004 6:02:01 PM

Oh yeah I know that. That is a flaw with the socket hooks. They are NOT ment for heavy HSFs and repeated reinstalls for it will wear out and break.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/730)
April 13, 2004 7:32:29 PM

Easy solution! Buy a used or new XP-2000 from E-bay or? Install it right and then tell the owner that you tricked it up a little. Everyone will be astounded at how you could do that without an overclock! Once he touts your name all over town, you will have more business than you could ever garner out of a $50.00 investment. You will retain your "Hero" image!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
April 13, 2004 8:31:23 PM

<facetiousness>
Come now Crash, we all know (from having been told so a thousand times here) that these things never really happen. :eek: 
</facetiousness>
April 13, 2004 9:16:14 PM

Bummer Crash. Explaining it will be the worst part. Is it just the cpu fried and the center notches ruined? Was it a single clip or was it using all three notches on both sides. If only the center one was ruined, at least you can attach a triple clip still. Otherwise, a permanent Artic alumina expoxy solution is a bit of a scary thought. :eek: 

my current bench test system has only one good notch on one side (refurb mobo I didn't look at or test until past warranty). I can't use it for much and put on a cheap Tbird 1100. But it's only good for testing mem and video cards, i wouldn't mess with removing the heatsink again. Someday it will poof on me I'm sure. I just hope it doesn't pop while I'm installing a heatsink in another system, or I may jump and shove the screwdriver through the mobo. Kinda stinks, but I hate to discard the $26 motherboard up until now. :redface:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
April 13, 2004 9:17:21 PM

that what could never happen? lol he said himself he thought it was becuase someone didnt put enough thermalpaste on the cpu. if it was a palimino athlon, im not suprised, those things got hot lol, not paying attention to details could cost you a system.
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2004 9:48:31 PM

No, I don't think it fell off because it had no thermal paste left (it had disappeared). I think it fell off because the hooks were worn on the socket, and moving the PC loosened it, plus vibration of the 2 year old fan caused it to fall off when running.

I believe the initial problem it was brought in for, windows corruption due to system lockups, was caused by a heat problem. And that the heat problem may have been related to the vanishing compound.

a b à CPUs
April 13, 2004 9:50:52 PM

The latch hooks are there, just worn. I think I'll put another single latch sink on. You see, the old sink used a hinged clip that didn't apply any inward force to keep it from sliding off. I think I can get by simply using a 1-piece clip that forces the tabs inward toward the socket.

That means I can use a part I have in stock. In this market, it's all about saving money.

April 13, 2004 10:51:36 PM

Lol,crashman you need to set some traps for those gremlins before they pull more tricks like that :wink:
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2004 1:06:21 AM

Yep

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2004 1:10:20 AM

I think I need a dreamcatcher on my window to trap such nightmares.

April 14, 2004 3:10:39 AM

Wow what a major pain in the butt for you.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2004 6:57:23 AM

When they pay for a replacement, I'm giving them a "Free Upgrade" to a 2000+.

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2004 6:59:10 AM

BTW, I just heard bad noises from their hard drive. So now I have a better reason to hang onto the system a bit longer while the new CPU arrives. The drive is still under factory warranty.

!