Price check X-Files

Wear at flipper buttons on cab. Wear at magnet on playfield. Otherwise
pretty decent with a new display. TIA!!!

Had a chance to get one for $900. I passed. Same condition. Pretty lame
game, only 1 toy on the playfield and it is often broken on most
machines.

Passed on it for $1100. Thanks for the advice guys!!!

mike...@omuonline.net wrote:
> Had a chance to get one for $900. I passed. Same condition. Pretty lame
> game, only 1 toy on the playfield and it is often broken on most
> machines.

$800-$1K
not very popular around here....
Dan

Orin Day wrote:

> Just curious, do most of the X-Files games out there have bad magnet wear?
> At some point we started shipping the game with metal plates over the
> playfield in that area, which alleviated the wear, but also reduced what
> the magnet could accomplish.

Mine has nothing in the way of a plate.

Orin Day wrote:>
> The transient player on location seemed to like it, but that was about
> it.

When this game was ready for test locations I knew about it, but
couldn't get one out here. They, Sega, felt I was too far away. West
coast. I tried and had some inside support but to no avail. I was a
die hard X-Files fan back then and I thought this game was going to be
a dream come true. (Actually I was hoping William's was doing it.
Sorry).

Orin Day wrote:>
> It was a very difficult project, as I've alluded to here before. Having
> the creative side basically micro-managed second-hand by people who had no
> idea what pinball was all about made for a very stilted game. Not just in
> terms of what we could use, but exactly how we had to use everything.
> "Use it this way or you can't use it."
>
> It's a shame that we couldn't give the theme a more traditional-pinball
> treatment, or even one that lived up to the art package (which early on
> looked to be one of our best). We tried, but in a real world situation
> you can only try so much, sometimes you have to cut your losses and move
> on to the next game. (Too much invested in both relationships and
> expenditures to retheme.)
>
> Orin "not speaking officially on behalf of Sega Pinball, Inc., or its
> successors" Day

I like almost all of the game except for that opening shot. Always in
my mind I have thought: Open this thing up and see what the designer
did here, and can it be changed? The reason I mention this is that we
all to some degree have experimented with playfield "what if's"? If
you have an old clunker, (not an X-Files), laying in that backroom that
has a shot playfield here is what you can do:

Sand the playfield down and reconfigure it with old left over parts.
Habitrails and guides and what ever. I did this once and used the loop
shot from Gold Wings on the playfield. Added some other things and
drafted my own artwork, pencil and sharpie scribblings, and had some
fun. If you use a really old machine like a shot HG, DP, or similar
you can't use certain parts because the playfield doesn't have a lot of
room between it and the glass. Unless, you lower the playfield like I
did, and reposition the shooter. Hey this thing was junk. Severe
water damage and all, no backglass. I thought I would mention that
before the "purists" try to lynch me!

Orin,
Are there any things about this game that are significantly different
from original concept? Things that are worth noting. I don't think I
have seen a whitewood for this game. I'll have to check IPD again.

Mario
Pinthetic

FWIW, the only XF in my area had severe wear, and
no metal plate either. I repaired it for an operator
a couple of years ago, and it's been doing fine.

It's been an exceptional earner for them.
(Probably the cause of the accelerated wear, too!)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
==================================

In article <1124232354.660778.151810@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote:

>Orin,
>Are there any things about this game that are significantly different
>from original concept? Things that are worth noting. I don't think I
>have seen a whitewood for this game. I'll have to check IPD again.

Hard to believe it was 8 years ago.

I think a final whitewood was awarded as a tournament prize, if I'm not
mistaken Noelle Steere won it. I don't think he still has it. The
playfield was signed by the design team and staff, there's a picture of it
on IPDB.

I don't remember any design changes from Rob Hurtado as far as the ball
launch went. If I see him at Expo, I'll ask him. I vaguely remember a
decision to not have a video skill shot - I think partially because ID4
had one, and partially because the player was already doing the "pick
Mulder or Scully" thing. There was some talk of having one just on ball 2
and 3, but that would have been confusing. Technically I guess there was
an award there, the player did get some amount of points and a cool
display :) for just pressing the button to launch the ball.

I do remember being very tired of that game after the finals at Expo - on
the difficult settings I found it to be an extremely dull game, that I
played very poorly. Of course some might say this of the game (and my
tournament play) regardless of the setup. :)

Orin

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |