terry

Client with a Gateway Solo 9150 w/Linksys USB Etherfast net adapter & XP
SP1 (can't do SP2, not enough disk space).

It stopped working, not sure why. I have tried everything; repair
install, winsockfix, switched out net cable, USB adapter. Manually
removed Winsock and reinstalled TCP/IP. Everything. Keep getting private
IP in 169 range. I can manually set it and get to the router (acting as
the DHCP server) but no internet access. All other workstations fine,
no issues.

I did find that the XP driver will not light the Link LED but changing
it to the W2K driver at least causes it to light up, but still no
connectivity. The new USB adapter lit up but no connectivity.

What could I be missing (other than telling them to buy a new laptop but
that won't happen)?

Thanks,

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Do you have a firewall installed?

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Terry" <F1ComNOSPAM@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Client with a Gateway Solo 9150 w/Linksys USB Etherfast net adapter & XP
> SP1 (can't do SP2, not enough disk space).
>
> It stopped working, not sure why. I have tried everything; repair install,
> winsockfix, switched out net cable, USB adapter. Manually removed Winsock
> and reinstalled TCP/IP. Everything. Keep getting private IP in 169 range.
> I can manually set it and get to the router (acting as the DHCP server)
> but no internet access. All other workstations fine, no issues.
>
> I did find that the XP driver will not light the Link LED but changing it
> to the W2K driver at least causes it to light up, but still no
> connectivity. The new USB adapter lit up but no connectivity.
>
> What could I be missing (other than telling them to buy a new laptop but
> that won't happen)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Terry
>
> ***Reply Note***
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

terry

On 9/15/2005 4:26 PM On a whim, NotMe pounded out on the keyboard

> Do you have a firewall installed?

Turned it off.

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Terry wrote:
> What could I be missing (other than telling them to buy a new laptop
> but that won't happen)?

Has the router been set up with known MACs or perhaps some other
restriction (max # of DHCP clients, etc) that is causing it to not hand
out an IP address to the laptop?

> I can manually set it and get to the router (acting as the DHCP
> server) but no internet access.

Hmmm ... you know the adapter is working. But DHCP is not.

Is this your router or the client's? Can you log in and poke around to
make sure DHCP is configured properly at the router? Also double check
TCPIP at the adapter and make sure it's set up to Obtain an IP address
automatically.

terry

On 9/15/2005 5:56 PM On a whim, Z pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry wrote:
>> What could I be missing (other than telling them to buy a new laptop
>> but that won't happen)?
>
> Has the router been set up with known MACs or perhaps some other
> restriction (max # of DHCP clients, etc) that is causing it to not hand
> out an IP address to the laptop?
>

>> I can manually set it and get to the router (acting as the DHCP
>> server) but no internet access.
>
> Hmmm ... you know the adapter is working. But DHCP is not.
>
> Is this your router or the client's? Can you log in and poke around to
> make sure DHCP is configured properly at the router? Also double check
> TCPIP at the adapter and make sure it's set up to Obtain an IP address
> automatically.

I set the router up for them. MAC filtering is on wireless only and # of
clients is fine.

I can access the router and DHCP is configured correctly and there isn't
an issue with any other workstations. The laptop TCP/IP is set to obtain
automatically.

Thanks,

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Is the router DHCP set to provid enough IP addresses? If you set the IP
address yourself you would need to supply the rest of the settings also
to reach the internet(gateway and DNS) So check the routers DHCP settings.