help please - True Image - creating DVD image

Can someone please tell me how to make an image (for disaster recovery
purposes) on DVDs (not on CDs) using Acronis True Image 8?. I have
studied the user's guide and researched on the web, but I cannot figure
out how to do it. I have Windows XP Media Center and a brand new HP
Pavillion with a LightScribe DVD writer and Nero Ultra 6 (which does
have the ability to write UDF DVDs).
I need to install many things on my computer so I can get back to work,
but first I want to have a good image of Drive C before I do. (I
already installed the additional hardware and basic software that I
use).
Thanks in advance, Bob
14 answers Last reply
More about help true image creating image

    Once you have the application open
    click on create an image
    click start now
    follow the prompts
    when the choice comes up as to where to create it to.......use the little
    explorer window that shows up to point it to your DVD drive and at the
    bottom type in a file name...........and away you go.
    be prepared to have a few DVD's handy
    peterk

    artist@talon.net wrote:
    > Can someone please tell me how to make an image (for disaster recovery
    > purposes) on DVDs (not on CDs) using Acronis True Image 8?. I have
    > studied the user's guide and researched on the web, but I cannot
    > figure out how to do it. I have Windows XP Media Center and a brand
    > new HP Pavillion with a LightScribe DVD writer and Nero Ultra 6
    > (which does have the ability to write UDF DVDs).
    > I need to install many things on my computer so I can get back to
    > work, but first I want to have a good image of Drive C before I do. (I
    > already installed the additional hardware and basic software that I
    > use).
    > Thanks in advance, Bob

    So you don't have to use so many DVDs to hold your image you might consider
    buying an external USB hard drive and imaging to it. My hard drive is 80GB
    and I have a 200GB USB external drive that can hold several images of my
    hard drive. It only cost $200 and that was a couple years ago so it should
    be cheaper now.

    --

    Darrell R. Schmidt
    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:00:58 -0700, "Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com>
    wrote:

    >buying an external USB hard drive and imaging to it.

    I had been thinking of doing just that but don't understand one thing.
    If I am using a USB device for image backup and I have a system
    failure where the OS will not boot, then how does one access the USB
    device if, I am told, that USB devices can not be accessed until
    windows has booted?

    Regards,
    Ed

    Many Imaging program CDs are bootable and capable of accessing
    a image set on USB media. Personally, I have dedicated partition on
    one of my internal SATA drives that holds my most recent image. I
    also burn it to DVD-R media to store off the PC. If & when I need
    to roll back to a image, I boot my Tools CD-R and recover from that
    disk partition - It usually takes only 4-5 minutes for recovery. From
    my perspective, never rely on a magnetic media as your only recovery
    point. Except as someone pointed out to me, streaming tape where
    you have multiple full and incremental backups to choose from. But
    after years of doing corporate backups on Unix servers, I can tell you
    that tape has some problems of it's own.

    "Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
    > artist@talon.net wrote:
    >> Can someone please tell me how to make an image (for disaster recovery
    >> purposes) on DVDs (not on CDs) using Acronis True Image 8?. I have
    >> studied the user's guide and researched on the web, but I cannot
    >> figure out how to do it. I have Windows XP Media Center and a brand
    >> new HP Pavillion with a LightScribe DVD writer and Nero Ultra 6
    >> (which does have the ability to write UDF DVDs).
    >> I need to install many things on my computer so I can get back to
    >> work, but first I want to have a good image of Drive C before I do. (I
    >> already installed the additional hardware and basic software that I
    >> use).
    >> Thanks in advance, Bob
    >
    > So you don't have to use so many DVDs to hold your image you might
    > consider buying an external USB hard drive and imaging to it. My hard
    > drive is 80GB and I have a 200GB USB external drive that can hold several
    > images of my hard drive. It only cost $200 and that was a couple years
    > ago so it should be cheaper now.

    It is a good idea to have two different backup methods. USB drives are prone
    to failure from heating problems. You should also have a backup onto optical
    media. I use both. When needed hopefully one of them will be good. Test them
    periodically to make sure.

    Kerry

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:38:33 -0400, "R. McCarty"
    <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Many Imaging program CDs are bootable and capable of accessing
    >a image set on USB media.

    I use Ghost 2003 which the recovery can be booted from DVD #1 of the
    backup image or from an emergency 3 1/2 floppy which has the Ghost
    program on it. I just did a test boot from the 3 1/2 floppy and
    plugged a thumb drive into a USB port and nothing happened so.... I
    assume I don't have USB support outside of Windows or Ghost made the
    emergency boot floppy without some needed goodies in the autoexec.bat
    and/or Config.sys files. I'll have to look deeper into the PDF manual
    (I hate on screen manuals).

    >never rely on a magnetic media as your only recovery point.

    Actually, I don't have much faith in any media, even optical. I can
    make good CD's and DVD's all day long but let me do an Image backup on
    one and its a shot in the dark if it will pass the integrity test. Its
    as if the computer knows this is an "IMPORTANT" Burn and finds all
    sorts of ways to make a bad CD or DVD.

    >I can tell you that tape has some problems of it's own.

    I had a streaming tape backup back in the Windows 3.1/80286 days.
    Again as with the optical drive, it knew the difference in an
    "IMPORTANT" backup and just plain archiving and would always find a
    way to have problems with the "IMPORTANT" backup.

    But I have invented a weather creation device out of my systems. All
    I have to do is start a 1 1/2 hour long Ghost backup session and half
    way through it, there will be an electrical storm. Never fails.

    I had thought of doing a Raid setup but have read too many posts
    dealing with this problem or that problem associated with such a
    setup. I had thought of doing backups over a network to another
    machine but as with a Raid setup, have read too many posts covering
    problems associated with Ghost and/or True Image network compatibility
    problems. Anyway, If I can get Ghost to acknowledge a USB port
    outside of windows, then I just might opt for a USB HD.

    Regards,
    Ed

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:50:27 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    snip

    >It is a good idea to have two different backup methods. USB drives are prone
    >to failure from heating problems. You should also have a backup onto optical
    >media. I use both. When needed hopefully one of them will be good. Test them
    >periodically to make sure.
    >
    >Kerry

    " USB drives are prone to failure from heating problems." That's new
    to me, can you provide references please. I have been using USB
    external drives for years without problems. I'm not suggesting you
    are wrong but would certainly like to know whether I am at risk.

    I am aware the heat dissipation from external drives are dependent
    upon the enclosures. Assuming the enclosure is suitable why would
    temperature problems be any greater than when housed in a computer
    casing, say a laptop casing for example?

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:50:27 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    > <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >>>

    >>It is a good idea to have two different backup methods. USB drives are
    >>prone
    >>to failure from heating problems. You should also have a backup onto
    >>optical
    >>media. I use both. When needed hopefully one of them will be good. Test
    >>them
    >>periodically to make sure.
    >>
    >>Kerry
    >>

    > " USB drives are prone to failure from heating problems." That's new
    > to me, can you provide references please. I have been using USB
    > external drives for years without problems. I'm not suggesting you
    > are wrong but would certainly like to know whether I am at risk.
    >
    > I am aware the heat dissipation from external drives are dependent
    > upon the enclosures. Assuming the enclosure is suitable why would
    > temperature problems be any greater than when housed in a computer
    > casing, say a laptop casing for example?

    Given a suitable enclosure failure from heat related problems would be no
    more likely than an internally mounted drive. Most external drive enclosures
    I have seen do not dissipate the heat very well so as a rule of thumb hard
    drives in external enclosures will have more heat related problems. External
    drives do have the advantage in the fact that they can be turned off when
    not needed. If only used for backups they should last a very long time.

    My post was more about the fact that you should have a backup strategy that
    includes more than one method. All storage media can fail over time.
    Murphy's law applies double to backups.

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown wrote:
    > "Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
    >> artist@talon.net wrote:
    >>> Can someone please tell me how to make an image (for disaster
    >>> recovery purposes) on DVDs (not on CDs) using Acronis True Image
    >>> 8?. I have studied the user's guide and researched on the web, but
    >>> I cannot figure out how to do it. I have Windows XP Media Center
    >>> and a brand new HP Pavillion with a LightScribe DVD writer and Nero
    >>> Ultra 6 (which does have the ability to write UDF DVDs).
    >>> I need to install many things on my computer so I can get back to
    >>> work, but first I want to have a good image of Drive C before I do.
    >>> (I already installed the additional hardware and basic software
    >>> that I use).
    >>> Thanks in advance, Bob
    >>
    >> So you don't have to use so many DVDs to hold your image you might
    >> consider buying an external USB hard drive and imaging to it. My
    >> hard drive is 80GB and I have a 200GB USB external drive that can
    >> hold several images of my hard drive. It only cost $200 and that
    >> was a couple years ago so it should be cheaper now.
    >>

    > It is a good idea to have two different backup methods. USB drives
    > are prone to failure from heating problems. You should also have a
    > backup onto optical media. I use both. When needed hopefully one of
    > them will be good. Test them periodically to make sure.
    >
    > Kerry

    Hmmm. I've used both my external USB hard drives for years and have no
    problems. To protect the data on my USB drives I have them (and other
    external devices) powered by a separate surge protector power strip which I
    normally keep powered OFF until I want to access them. When I then turn on
    that power strip it only ALLOWS me to power on my USB hard drives or my
    printer which have their own power switches. My scanner and my TV/video
    controllers don't have a separate power switch so they power up when I turn
    the strip power on.

    --

    Darrell R. Schmidt
    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
    -

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:29:37 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Ed favored us with...
    > don't understand one thing.
    > If I am using a USB device for image backup and I have a system
    > failure where the OS will not boot, then how does one access the USB
    > device if, I am told, that USB devices can not be accessed until
    > windows has booted?

    I was concerned about that too. I bought Acronis True Image and made
    a recovery CD before buying my external hard drive.

    For curiosity, I popped in my Acronis CD, connected my USB external
    hard drive, and rebooted. Acronis recognized the external HD and was
    able to access an image on it with no problem. Of course, I didn't
    actually do a restore, but now I'm confident that I could.

    YMMV, as always. But from the boot-up messages on my machine, it
    looks like the BIOS recognizes USB external hard drives. In principle
    I suppose that means I could boot from the external HD if I wanted
    to.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:38:33 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, R. McCarty favored us with...
    > never rely on a magnetic media as your only recovery
    > point. Except as someone pointed out to me, streaming tape where
    > you have multiple full and incremental backups to choose from. But
    > after years of doing corporate backups on Unix servers, I can tell you
    > that tape has some problems of it's own.

    I did tape backups religiously in the middle to late 1990s, but more
    often than not I found the tapes were unreadable a few months later.

    Currently I backup to my external HD almost every day and
    periodically burn a CD or DVD just in case.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:13:53 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kerry Brown favored us with...
    > External
    > drives do have the advantage in the fact that they can be turned off when
    > not needed. If only used for backups they should last a very long time.

    Make that "turned off AND UNPLUGGED". :-)

    That reduces vulnerability to electrical surges. Even if you've got
    surge suppresion, a nearby lightning strike can set up induction
    currents in a power cord, if I recall correctly.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > I was concerned about that too. I bought Acronis True Image and made
    > a recovery CD before buying my external hard drive.
    > For curiosity, I popped in my Acronis CD, connected my USB external
    > hard drive, and rebooted. Acronis recognized the external HD and was
    > able to access an image on it with no problem. Of course, I didn't
    > actually do a restore, but now I'm confident that I could.
    >
    > YMMV, as always. But from the boot-up messages on my machine, it
    > looks like the BIOS recognizes USB external hard drives. In principle
    > I suppose that means I could boot from the external HD if I wanted
    > to.

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Ed & Stan:
    To the best of our knowledge, a USB external hard drive containing the XP
    OS, including a cloned copy created from the Acronis or Norton Ghost program
    (or from any other disk imaging program that I'm aware of), is,
    unfortunately *not* bootable. I know there are many motherboard's BIOS that
    appear to support this capability and from time to time we hear or read
    reports of a bootable USBEHD containing the XP OS, but I've never come
    across a confirmed demonstration that it is. And God knows, we've tried!

    The cloned copy of the XP OS residing on the USBEHD can, of course, be
    cloned back to a (non-defective) internal HD for restoration purposes.
    Another reason to use, or at least have available, a bootable Ghost floppy
    disk (or CD) or Acronis True Image bootable CD.
    Anna

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:09:48 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Anna favored us with...
    > To the best of our knowledge, a USB external hard drive containing the XP
    > OS, including a cloned copy created from the Acronis or Norton Ghost program
    > (or from any other disk imaging program that I'm aware of), is,
    > unfortunately *not* bootable.

    Good to know. Luckily I'm not relying on that capability, since I
    made a bootable CD. :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Windows XP