Solved

0h

I need installation instructions for a USB 3.0 PCIexpress card with a external powersupply (not buspowered) on my ACER WMCP78M motherboard.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    if you purchased a usb 3.0 expansion card it should have came with some sort of instruction booklet. this would have the information you want.

that said: typical card installation most likely applies.
    -turn the computer off & open case
    -ground yourself to the case before touching components
    -insert card into slot & attach to rear rail
    -connect power cables (it uses 4 pin or other standard cables?)
    -close case and turn computer on
    -install provided drivers.

in some circumstances manufacturers want you to install drivers before physically installing the device. again, this is what the manual is for.
  2. Many Thanks. By the way do you know if the mentioned motherboard gives no conflicts with installation of the USB 3.0 expansion card?
  3. as for physically fitting the card to the board... pci express card slots are standardized. it should physically fit and lock down fine.

as far as hardware conflicts in windows... i doubt there would be any (but i dont know for sure). if there is you could fix them. usb3.0 upgrades should be fairly commonplace by now so there should be something available if you search google.
  4. ssddx said:
    as for physically fitting the card to the board... pci express card slots are standardized. it should physically fit and lock down fine.

as far as hardware conflicts in windows... i doubt there would be any (but i dont know for sure). if there is you could fix them. usb3.0 upgrades should be fairly commonplace by now so there should be something available if you search google.

Many thanks for your advise. Where do I connect a four pole Power-connector on the motherboard?
  5. if the pci-e card requires a molex plug then it will be hooked up to the power supply. typically power supplies have quite a few spare molex connectors. do double check that you have a spare plug first.

a motherboard only provides power through the slots such as pci-e and through the fan connectors. the large power connections onboard are usually power-in to power the board. usually you hook these all up to the power supply but on some very high end boards (i didnt even look to see what yours is) they have extras in case you need even more power then normal. i know my asus rampage III has an extra or two.
  6. Once again many thanks. I will follow up all your advises.
  7. ssddx said:
    if the pci-e card requires a molex plug then it will be hooked up to the power supply. typically power supplies have quite a few spare molex connectors. do double check that you have a spare plug first.

a motherboard only provides power through the slots such as pci-e and through the fan connectors. the large power connections onboard are usually power-in to power the board. usually you hook these all up to the power supply but on some very high end boards (i didnt even look to see what yours is) they have extras in case you need even more power then normal. i know my asus rampage III has an extra or two.

Once again many thanks. I shall follow all your advises.
  8. Best answer selected by Mickey67.
Ask a new question

Read More

Powersupply Motherboards USB3 Peripherals