links in outlook express open with aol brower

I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click on
any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer to
open the link. How can I change this?
14 answers Last reply
More about links outlook express open brower

    You probably installed the NEW AOL Instant Messenger, it installs the AOL
    browser.
    Open IE manually, go to tools>internet options>Programs tab
    Make sure the 'IE should check to see if it is my default browser' is
    checked, click Apply/OK.
    Close IE
    When you restart IE, you should get a prompt to make IE your default
    browser.

    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "larrylook" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message
    >I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click on
    >any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer to
    >open the link. How can I change this?

    See http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx (disregard any reference to OE if you
    don't use it).
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    larrylook wrote:
    > I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click on
    > any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer to
    > open the link. How can I change this?

    It does? Can you cite a reference for that?
    --

    NotMe wrote:
    > You probably installed the NEW AOL Instant Messenger, it installs the AOL
    > browser.

    Yuck! What hath God wrought?!

    <QP>
    AIM [v5.9] Is Now Your Window to the Web

    With the new AIM, your favorite Web sites and features are always just a
    click away in the new **AOL Explorer** [emphasis added] window, thanks to
    convenient, built-in browsing features like:

    • Spyware Quick Scan: Checks your computer for a selected number of spyware
    and adware programs that may interfere with your online
    experience....Relax - your computer is scanned every few minutes for the
    worst performance-sapping and identity-stealing spyware programs.
    </QP>
    http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/latest_win.adp?aolp

    Be afraid! Be very afraid!
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PA Bear wrote:
    > It does? Can you cite a reference for that?
    >
    > NotMe wrote:
    >> You probably installed the NEW AOL Instant Messenger, it installs the AOL
    >> browser.

    AOL is one of the most invasive virus's ever designed for the Windows
    operating system.

    This is a shock!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > Yuck! What hath God wrought?!
    >
    > <QP>
    > AIM [v5.9] Is Now Your Window to the Web
    >
    > With the new AIM, your favorite Web sites and features are always just a
    > click away in the new **AOL Explorer** [emphasis added] window, thanks to
    > convenient, built-in browsing features like:
    >
    > • Spyware Quick Scan: Checks your computer for a selected number of
    > spyware and adware programs that may interfere with your online
    > experience....Relax - your computer is scanned every few minutes for the
    > worst performance-sapping and identity-stealing spyware programs.
    > </QP>
    > http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/latest_win.adp?aolp
    >
    > Be afraid! Be very afraid!
    > --
    > ~PA Bear
    >
    > PA Bear wrote:
    >> It does? Can you cite a reference for that?
    >>
    >> NotMe wrote:
    >>> You probably installed the NEW AOL Instant Messenger, it installs the
    >>> AOL
    >>> browser.

    This helped and thanks. Amazing that aim hijacked my system and changed the
    program that opens up links in email. How annoying!

    > See http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx (disregard any reference to OE if you
    > don't use it).
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >

    > larrylook wrote:
    >> I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click on
    >> any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer
    >> open the link. How can I change this?

    YW, Larry, & thanks for posting back.

    Amazing that AIM v5.9 doesn't give you opt-outs for (1) installing the "AOL
    Browser" and (2) making it the default if you choose to install it.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    larrylook wrote:
    > This helped and thanks. Amazing that aim hijacked my system and changed
    > the
    > program that opens up links in email. How annoying!

    >> See http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx (disregard any reference to OE if
    >> you
    >> don't use it).
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >>

    >> larrylook wrote:
    >>> I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click
    >>> on
    >>> any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer
    >>> open the link. How can I change this?

    Yet another reason I have AIM version 4.8 saved on CD. Now Microsoft is
    buying AOL. That's almost as stupid as WPA and WGA.

    Alias

    "NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote

    > You probably installed the NEW AOL Instant Messenger, it installs the AOL
    > browser.
    > Open IE manually, go to tools>internet options>Programs tab
    > Make sure the 'IE should check to see if it is my default browser' is
    > checked, click Apply/OK.
    > Close IE
    > When you restart IE, you should get a prompt to make IE your default
    > browser.
    >
    > --
    > A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    > "larrylook" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't have aol service. I don't like aol browser. But when I click on
    >>any link in an email, aol browser opens up. I'd like internet explorer to
    >>open the link. How can I change this?

    Er..., uh..., come again?

    Alias wrote:
    > Now Microsoft is buying AOL.

    Gosh, the online news changed it from buying it because Time Warner wanted
    to get rid of it to "collaboration":

    Alias

    "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote

    > Er..., uh..., come again?
    >
    > Alias wrote:
    >> Now Microsoft is buying AOL.

    My nerves, my nerves!

    <QP>
    The New York Post [always a reputable source for business and tech news
    <wink>], which first reported the possible deal, describes the discussions
    between Microsoft and Time Warner as "advanced" and involving plans to
    combine AOL and Microsoft's MSN Internet unit.

    Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal calls the talks "preliminary," and says
    they are part of a broader discussion about areas in which the companies can
    collaborate. Areas of collaboration being considered include AOL switching
    from Google's search engine to MSN's and possibly combining the two groups'
    advertising sales teams, according to the Journal.

    Both the Post and the Journal are basing their reports on unnamed sources.

    Time Warner didn't immediately return a call seeking comment. A spokesperson
    for Microsoft declined to comment.
    </QP>

    I need a drink!
    --
    ~PA Bear

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:11:17 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Amazing that AIM v5.9 doesn't give you opt-outs for (1) installing the "AOL
    >Browser" and (2) making it the default if you choose to install it.

    Well it may seem amazing that it would do that, but with AOL it is not
    at all suprising.

    You have to be very careful installing anything AOL. It will take
    over as many things as it possibly can. It even tries to take over
    and become your default CD Player program.

    Just one of the many reasons that most people refer to it as AOHell.

    If I read it correctly it is the MSN suite they are discussing

    --
    Peter

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message news:u$LgspluFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Gosh, the online news changed it from buying it because Time Warner wanted
    > to get rid of it to "collaboration":
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122570,00.asp
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> Er..., uh..., come again?
    >>
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>> Now Microsoft is buying AOL.

    Had you read it correctly, you would have seen that neither AOL nor MS are
    saying anything.

    Alias

    "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote

    If I read it correctly it is the MSN suite they are discussing

    --
    Peter

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote

    > Gosh, the online news changed it from buying it because Time Warner wanted
    > to get rid of it to "collaboration":
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122570,00.asp
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote