My dell is dying??

Dimension 5100, xp home. For the last week the starting of programs has
taken 5 minutes or more. i.e. ie explorer, OL express, quicken, word, excel
etc. Once ie loads, I can surf the web at normal speeds and the programs
run normally. Actions taken so far: Norton scan, MS antispy, defrag,
disk cleanup, *.tmp files removed, HDD check and memory check from Dell
Utilities, all indicating normal. Any help appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about dell dying

    In article <#GGW6mluFHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, the@nospam.com
    says...
    > Dimension 5100, xp home. For the last week the starting of programs has
    > taken 5 minutes or more. i.e. ie explorer, OL express, quicken, word, excel
    > etc. Once ie loads, I can surf the web at normal speeds and the programs
    > run normally. Actions taken so far: Norton scan, MS antispy, defrag,
    > disk cleanup, *.tmp files removed, HDD check and memory check from Dell
    > Utilities, all indicating normal. Any help appreciated.

    From the task-bar, right click on it and select "Task Manager", then
    select "Performance" tab, then look at the "PF Usage" bar graph - that's
    how much memory your computer is using - if it's more than you bought,
    then your computer needs more RAM.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    "Mike G" <the@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Dimension 5100, xp home. For the last week the starting of programs has
    > taken 5 minutes or more. i.e. ie explorer, OL express, quicken, word,
    > excel etc. Once ie loads, I can surf the web at normal speeds and the
    > programs run normally. Actions taken so far: Norton scan, MS antispy,
    > defrag, disk cleanup, *.tmp files removed, HDD check and memory check from
    > Dell Utilities, all indicating normal. Any help appreciated.

    Also:

    In Device Manager go to the section on IDE ATA Controllers. In that
    section, right click on your Primary Drive and select Properties. Go to the
    Advanced Settings tab. Check the current transfer mode. The current mode
    should be a DMA mode. If the current mode is PIO, then you have a
    controller or drive problem. If the current mode is PIO, check with Dell
    support.

    Don

    Good idea....I will try that... Mike

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike G" <the@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Dimension 5100, xp home. For the last week the starting of programs has
    >> taken 5 minutes or more. i.e. ie explorer, OL express, quicken, word,
    >> excel etc. Once ie loads, I can surf the web at normal speeds and the
    >> programs run normally. Actions taken so far: Norton scan, MS antispy,
    >> defrag, disk cleanup, *.tmp files removed, HDD check and memory check
    >> from Dell Utilities, all indicating normal. Any help appreciated.
    >>

    > Also:
    >
    > In Device Manager go to the section on IDE ATA Controllers. In that
    > section, right click on your Primary Drive and select Properties. Go to
    > the Advanced Settings tab. Check the current transfer mode. The current
    > mode should be a DMA mode. If the current mode is PIO, then you have a
    > controller or drive problem. If the current mode is PIO, check with Dell
    > support.
    >
    > Don

Internet Explorer Windows XP