Your question

DisplayPort Monitors???

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 21, 2011 11:43:12 PM

Ok, I've done some looking on a few sites and seems to me the selection of monitors with DisplayPort is extremely minimal. I've got a pair of HD6950's, does it really matter if I run with HDMI instead? Are there any major differences that I would notice as an end-user? (Sorry, I read up on these two a few months ago when I started looking at a new rig but among all the other info about hardware it got drowned out)

Thanks in advance.

More about : displayport monitors

a c 79 C Monitor
April 22, 2011 12:10:17 AM

You think the selection is minimal? Try searching Google Shopping. There are plenty of monitors that include DisplayPort. However, if you're looking for 1920x1200 or lower, and aren't planning multiple monitors, HDMI or DVI should work just as well as DisplayPort.
m
l
April 22, 2011 2:54:57 AM

MauveCloud said:
You think the selection is minimal? Try searching Google Shopping. There are plenty of monitors that include DisplayPort. However, if you're looking for 1920x1200 or lower, and aren't planning multiple monitors, HDMI or DVI should work just as well as DisplayPort.

Thansk, I'd never heard of Google Shopping before now, and admittedly it will take a bit to work my google-fu for that upto speed, but I have only seen maybe 3 options (thats about all that was returned by my search on google shopping too) with DisplayPort. One is a 27" ASUS for ~$330 that I found previously, which is about the top end of what I expected to spend on a monitor - multiple monitors is where I'd like to go, given the graphics power I have and the workload I tend to do, but I hadn't been expecting to spend $500+ on each monitor.

That said, spending 500+ on graphics cards seems largely useless if you don't have the real estate to take advantage of them... guess that's about the one thing I didn't scope out before buying the parts.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2011 9:24:16 AM

Quote:
How do u think about this Asus 27" Widescreen 1080p LED LCD Monitor $313.00?
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d24...
sounds nice choice for u. It might worth u a peek. Hope it helps.

Yeah that one is available in my area for $298.98 and was one of my top options, my other being a Samsung P2770FH for $330 (no DisplayPort on that one). As MauveCloud got me thinking on, if you're looking at options of say 23" to 27" all at 1920 x 1080, shouldn't the image *look* worse on the 27" since it's the same res stretched over a larger area? Or am I misunderstanding something about how they express resolution on these monitors?

The stores are closed tomorrow for holiday or I would just go take a look at some instead of bothering you guys. For all I know the resolution may be high enough as is that the difference isn't noticeable... I'm still on a 1024 x 768 CRT at the moment.
m
l
a c 79 C Monitor
April 22, 2011 1:15:16 PM

Slothy said:
Thansk, I'd never heard of Google Shopping before now, and admittedly it will take a bit to work my google-fu for that upto speed, but I have only seen maybe 3 options (thats about all that was returned by my search on google shopping too) with DisplayPort. One is a 27" ASUS for ~$330 that I found previously, which is about the top end of what I expected to spend on a monitor - multiple monitors is where I'd like to go, given the graphics power I have and the workload I tend to do, but I hadn't been expecting to spend $500+ on each monitor.

only about 3 options? I just searched for "displayport monitor" (without the quotes) at google shopping, and got 12 pages of results. If you got so few results, you must be searching with additional criteria that you haven't mentioned to us.
m
l
!