Cannot ping winxp pc's

I'm having a problem on at a satelite office where I cannot ping xp
computers. I can ping win2k machines all day long. The xp boxes are running
sp2, but I have a policy in effect that disables the firewall. I also have a
policy in effect that renames the administrator and guest accounts. IF the
firewall is disabled is there any reason that any of these machines would
not respond to a ping request. Wouldn't be a big deal, but my print tracking
app requires it. All XP machines can communicate with the network just fine.
I can ping anything from each XP machine successfully.
6 answers Last reply
More about cannot ping winxp

    Nathan Weldon wrote:
    > I'm having a problem on at a satelite office where I cannot ping xp
    > computers. I can ping win2k machines all day long. The xp boxes are running

    Hmmm ... "satellite office."

    Are you trying to ping from a PC in another location or from a PC within
    the office and on the same LAN?

    If from another location, then perhaps the ISP is blocking incoming pings.

    Answer at bottom.

    "Nathan Weldon" <nweldon@usaarchitects.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem on at a satelite office where I cannot ping xp
    > computers. I can ping win2k machines all day long. The xp boxes are
    > running sp2, but I have a policy in effect that disables the firewall. I
    > also have a policy in effect that renames the administrator and guest
    > accounts. IF the firewall is disabled is there any reason that any of
    > these machines would not respond to a ping request. Wouldn't be a big
    > deal, but my print tracking app requires it. All XP machines can
    > communicate with the network just fine. I can ping anything from each XP
    > machine successfully.

    Have you tried disabling the firewall on the XP machines? Actually you don't
    need to disable the firewall, if you look in the config there is an option
    to allow ping replies.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    I disabled the firewall via group policy in active directory. I did have one
    user ensure that it was not started. I'm quite perplexed.

    >I disabled the firewall via group policy in active directory. I did have
    >one user ensure that it was not started. I'm quite perplexed.

    There aren't any third party firewalls on the pc you are pinging? I had
    trouble communicating with one of the pcs in our office and eventually found
    it was because the user had installed a "personal" firewall.

    Can you ping the pc when in the office? Its just when out of the office that
    you can't?

    When out of the office can you ping a non-XP pc that is in the office? (ie
    one which is on the same LAN as your target xp box)

    If you to a tracert does that help? I think that will fail at the same point
    as a ping, so it might help ...

    If its stopping when it gets to the xp box, then ... no idea ... but I'd be
    interested to know when you solve it.

    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Can't ping while in office on the same subnet. Haven't thought to tracert
    though, but am assuming that it will also end at the XP machine's adress.

    > Can't ping while in office on the same subnet. Haven't thought to tracert
    > though, but am assuming that it will also end at the XP machine's adress.

    Bill's reply is right. If you can't ping when in the office on the same
    subnet then it must be a firewall issue - either the Windows firewall or a
    third party one. I think its likely that your policy to disable the firewall
    isn't working.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian