Windows 7 partially freezing

manifesto316

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
My Windows 7 PC has been partially freezing recently. I say partially because I'm still able to mouse around the screen and interact with open windows a little bit, but it's mostly useless and I have to do a hard reset.

This seems to happen when I'm watching a YouTube video (using Chrome) after I've had it paused a while in order for it to buffer.

I have run virus scans (Microsoft Security Essentials) and malware scans (Malwarebytes) and both have come up negative.

I have also cleared cleared the cache (CCleaner) and defragmented the drives (Defraggler) and that didn't seem to help either.

I built this computer back in February so it isn't even a year old yet so it should be THAT full of crap yet that it would need a fresh install so I'm hoping someone has some advise so I don't have to go through all that trouble.

Thanks.

Hi :)

No it wont.... the manufacturer of your ssd should have a tool to test the ssd though...

Umm ..you said the OS is on the SSD...If you have ANOTHER non ssd fitted test that with Hirens though...

All the best Brett :)

manifesto316

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

I have 3 other HDDs (2 of which I got used off of craigslist) so I will try that.

If you Defragged your SSD that might have caused the problem.
Does it run scheduled defrags?

I don't run scheduled degrags on the SSD, but I did run one on it the other day after things had started acting up because quite a bit of it was fragmented so I thought it may help.