Dimension 2100

My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
(ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
2100 with a P3 1GHz in it?

Thanks.

"BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote:
>My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
>can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
>would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
>Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
>(ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
>2100 with a P3 1GHz in it? >Thanks.

How much are you planning on spending? Instead of upgrading, I bit
the bullet and spent a little more & bought my son a new computer
recently. After you figure out the cost of the stuff that comes with
it - 17in monitor, jet printer, CD RW drive, 40 gig hard drive, 256
MBs RAM, and Windows XP, the gol darned thing was almost free! This
is a 2.6 GHz machine we are talking - major brand with 1 year
warrantee from eMachines - I paid $349! (after rebates). That year
includes 6 am to 12 pm voice support, 7 days a week (I have an Athalon
eMachines too, so I know). Sure it is a Celeron, but today's Celerons
are not crippled like they used to be in the old days.

There always seems to be a sale somewhere once a week a month (Sunday
Newspaper adds) by a couple of different makers.. So time to step up
& spend a little more than you were planning to spend on your
dinosaur! . This weeks sale - 2 computers different major chains:
2.7 GHz Celeron, 40 gig HD, 17in flat front .25 dot pitch monitor, 256
MB RAM, DVD R/CD RW, Lexmark jet printer (no biggie), & Win XP, all
for only $389. eMachines.

Same basic config, but only 128 MB RAM (need more), CD RW (no DVD
read), same size monitor & printer, & 2.6 GHz instead of 2.7 all for
only $329! Off brand Systemax.

I'd go for the eMachines in a second at that price. The store (&
online too I think), hell, I didn't write it down - one of those is
Office Depot, and the other is probably either Best Buy or maybe
Office Max.. not sure, see Sunday's Newspaper adds. It'll be in
there. Prices good until Saturday I think.. Some have free delivery
if bought online.

Now, don't forget to add in the cost of selling your complete computer
to someone & deducting that price from what you figure you are
paying.. .

Big Mac

Even with the larger cache, it's not worth a 200 MHz upgrade unless you can
get the new CPU for free or close to it -- you just won't notice much
difference.

"BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message
> My Dimension 2100 currently has a Celeron 900 in it. The fastest cpus it
> can handle are the Cel 1.1 Ghz and the PIII 1 GHz. I would think the PIII
> would give me more bang for the buck. My motherboard will not support a
> Tualatin. I'm not sure if there are several PIII 1 GHz versions out there
> (ie 100 vs 133). Anyone know which one works with the 2100 or ordered a
> 2100 with a P3 1GHz in it?
>
> Thanks.

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

what's not so good about them? many of the same commodity parts are used in
dells, hp, etc.
dell's refurbs aren't any great bargain especially if they are running sales
on the new systems.

"Michael" <michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co> wrote in message
> emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp etc.
> compaq,hp have new computers about 350+

Based on some reviews and benchmarks I read, I was hoping a PIII 1 GHz would
improve the software based video capture from my TV card. I use it to save
TV programs for my son. The video isn't great but he likes it. It also
uses deinterlacing when displaying TV which is very sensitive to other
applications running (ie the internet). The best price after coupon I've
seen is $74. If I could get a used one under $50 with shipping I'd probably
buy it. My real question though is compatibility. Are there different
versions of the 1 GHz cpu (ie 133MHz and 100MHz)? My Intel OEM MB only runs
memory at 100MHz but I thought I read somewhere it will run the CPU bus at
133 for the PIII. I know my motherboard won't support FCPGA2 chips. I've
read about some FCPGA->FCPGA2 adapters to run Tualation celerons up to
1.4GHz. That would be a noticeable kick in performance. I've also read it
can require a BIOS upgrade. Yikes.

michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co (Michael) wrote:
>emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp etc.
>compaq,hp have new computers about 350+

I believe you are judging what they used to be years ago. They have
come a long way since then.

They are great lower-priced systems and are now an impact company on
the computer market. I am very satisfied with mine (Athalon 3200+, &
my son's Celeron [referred to] is just great for the price too). A
one year standard warrantee (& a 2 additional years if you pay for
it), & a 7 days a week 6 am to 12 pm voice tech help & quick email
response says professional all of the way to me. Even just asking
what kind of memory you can add - basic stuff, no problem.

Gateway was impressed enough to merge with them recently.

Big Mac

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

"Big Mac" <no-email-in-usenet@zzz.org> wrote in message
> michaelsomeone91@aol.comm.net.co (Michael) wrote:
> >emachines arent very good computers. i'd get a refurb from dell or hp
etc.
> >compaq,hp have new computers about 350+
>
> I believe you are judging what they used to be years ago. They have
> come a long way since then.
>
> They are great lower-priced systems and are now an impact company on
> the computer market. I am very satisfied with mine (Athalon 3200+, &
> my son's Celeron [referred to] is just great for the price too). A
> one year standard warrantee (& a 2 additional years if you pay for
> it), & a 7 days a week 6 am to 12 pm voice tech help & quick email
> response says professional all of the way to me. Even just asking
> what kind of memory you can add - basic stuff, no problem.
>
> Gateway was impressed enough to merge with them recently.
>
> Big Mac

Do they have as many proprietary parts as the Dell systems?

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote:
>Do they have as many proprietary parts as the Dell systems?

I don't think there are any eMachines proprietary parts. I am not
100% sure about the motherboard, but I am guessing the motherboard &
DVD & CD drives are all basic stuff that a non-eMachines buyer could
get. My 3200+ model or my son's 2.7 GHz Celeron are advertised by
other manufacturers.

By the way - the sale is back at "Best Buy" starting today Sunday and
running though 'til 6/12/04. if you know anyone who is looking to get
into a complete system:

A 2.7 GHz Celeron, 17 inch .25 dot pitch monitor, color jet printer,
256 MBs RAM, 40 gig hard drive, a DVD-R/CD-RW drive, & XP loaded with
recovery CDs, and a 1 year warrantee, al for a whopping:
!! $339.97 !!
after rebates - and I already got my rebates back for my son's
computer (you pay $300 more up front and get the rebates).

For $80 more, and I recommend this, you get 512 MBs RAM instead of
256, and an 80 gig hard drive instead of the 40. They also bump up
the processor to a 2.8 GHz (big deal a .1 bump). Only if you plan on
going to 1GB RAM, would I not get the 512 upgrade - if & only if the
512 they give is two 256 MB chips - but if it is one 512 chip, then go
for it.

EMachines does have a short list of recommended memory & replacement
parts, but I added an off brand "Patriot" 512 MB chip to my 3200+ and
it is working out at 1GB fine.

Big Mac