WinXP Fdisk?

I just installed an external firewire drive enclosure. The instructions that
came with the enclosure say that I must run fdisk before I try to partition
and format the drive, and it must be run from a DOS window while windows is
running.

I assume this means the start>run>cmd that brings up the window. typing
fdisk and hitting enter gives me the error message "fdisk is not recognized
as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

When I go to disk management the 40GB drive shows Disk 2 unknown not
initialized 38.16GB unallocated. A right click on the drive in disk
management only allows to check properties.

I guess setting up a firewire external is different that setting up a USB
external drive that I did through Disk Management.

This should be my L drive since K is my USB Maxtor drive.

Thanks for any assistance

Bob

Leanin' Cedar wrote:
> I just installed an external firewire drive enclosure. The instructions that
> came with the enclosure say that I must run fdisk before I try to partition
> and format the drive, and it must be run from a DOS window while windows is
> running.
>
> I assume this means the start>run>cmd that brings up the window. typing
> fdisk and hitting enter gives me the error message "fdisk is not recognized
> as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
>
> When I go to disk management the 40GB drive shows Disk 2 unknown not
> initialized 38.16GB unallocated. A right click on the drive in disk
> management only allows to check properties.
>
> I guess setting up a firewire external is different that setting up a USB
> external drive that I did through Disk Management.
>
> This should be my L drive since K is my USB Maxtor drive.
>
> Thanks for any assistance
>
> Bob

Setting up the external HD should not be any different
from any other HD via Disk Management. Highlight the
HD and open the Action dialog box in the Menu Bar. The
various options should appear under the All Tasks. It
just needs to be formatted. It might also be possible
to format it via My Computer and right-clicking on this
"removable" drive.

> Setting up the external HD should not be any different
> from any other HD via Disk Management. Highlight the
> HD and open the Action dialog box in the Menu Bar. The
> various options should appear under the All Tasks. It
> just needs to be formatted. It might also be possible
> to format it via My Computer and right-clicking on this
> "removable" drive.

The only option from the action dialog box under all task is to check
properties on that drive, unlike the options on any of the other drives that
I have, format etc.

I have Googled to death. I am currently downloading MaxBlast (this is a
Maxtor Drive in the firewire device), to see if I can format with that
utility.

Bob

Right click on the partition

> Right click on the partition
Hi Tom:
I have tried that also, the only option is to check properties. The drive
shows in device manager as working properly. Oxford 911G IEEE 1394 SBP2
Device

Bob

I tried right clicking on the Disk 2 box, I then choose initialize, then I
was able to right click on the L Drive and go through the format steps.
Formatting as I type.

Bob